1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Old game Bred Bull terriers

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Box Bulldog, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Some parts I agree with but any dog that was bred with performance in mind that didnt perform would be culled. All the game and quarrelsome terriers got ruined by show as their working ability got bred out. Even the Yorkshire terrier and bedlington at one point were tenacious dogs. The pure white show bull terrier was even described as an old maid compared to the bedlington by Stonehenge in 1872.

The chance of the original bull baiting types staying absolutely pure with no crosses whatsoever up until becoming the American Pit Bull Terrier is extremely unlikely.

The old Bull baiting pictures in early 1800's look like the most perfectly formed lean dogs ever made where as photos of Pit Bull Terriers later in the early 1900's show a scattering of very different types. Artistic license.

Box Bulldog likes this.
  2. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

you just keep saying that with out showing any evidence ,,Robertosilva has already posted records where the white bull terriers have been registered with English KC in mid 1800s...any books on Bull terriers will show you lots of registered bull terriers from before 1900..

3. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

I agree that in the early days the Bull and Terrier (APBT) was a type not a breed, they were bred for performance hence the massive variation in size and looks.

There's two points with the usual story, one is that the Terriers were crossed into the Bulldog just to add speed and agility. No dog could be slow and ponderous and be expected to work a Bull, if it did so the Bulldog would have been extinct very quickly. The Terriers of those days must have brought more to the mix.

Likes been said, I think some dogs had more Bulldog blood in their make up and some more Terrier. It wasn't just a straight Half n Half cross. The crosses were likely made well before the banning of Bull Baiting in 1835. The APBT has been around for a very, very long time.....

PlugUgly likes this.
  4. italianpit

italianpit Big Dog

I talk about EGG-HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before this type he was a worKing dog. AftEr the 1835 fight ban in England starts the destroy of this dog..

5. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

He was never bred to be a working dog, he was bred to be a show dog. How hard is this to understand?

Dusty Road likes this.
  6. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

Why would it destroy the Bullterrier yet give rise to the Pitbull? You make no sense at all....

7. italianpit

italianpit Big Dog

so long time ago there were different types of pure line bulldogs. Red Dogs from ireland, Black And Tan from Manchester And so on with also the white And white/brindle. Apbt is The result of those Dogs crossed but in The Very hold england was all bull&terr half&half ecc..hinks just try to make only full white but those dogs were born from working dogs And and they continued to fight until the pitbull beCame The King.
    Ch Virginalis was a ch show and a pit Ch its history and you can not take away to her the ch title just cause You think She was a show dog. You understand? otherwise you can go to rewrite the history books according to your thinking..

8. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

Most dogs were born from working dogs somewhere down the line. The Bull Terrier was created to be a show dog. It was bred for it's appearance, it's ancestor's were highly likely working dogs but that's about it....

9. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

You just saying things , with out any proof ,,,show one book , article , magazine that says the show Bull terrier Ch Virginalis was used as a pit dog ,, the White Bull terrier that James Hinks and other dog men at the time in England produced ,,was for show and a pet ,,, every book on the breed tells you this,,,

10. italianpit

italianpit Big Dog

Beleve me when i Say i Read It. I've many Books and i don't remember but when i found It i Will post It.
    Mr. Hinks tried to get only white dogs to make them attractive to the bourgeoisie cause they was uman friendly but the starting point was those same dogs. Heavy inbreeding and obviously Health problems. With Beauty contest you Can make Money since fighting was forbidden...Before 1917 they were considered working dogs. Why to Call lord gladiator the Very first one egg-head's dog if his family has Nothing to do with fights..

11. italianpit

italianpit Big Dog

Screenshot_2016-08-30-13-15-47-1.png
    Not necessary White if was suppose they had mastiff Blood..It means the White was involved in blood sports before hinks start his program(start in 1850 after fight was banned in 1835)

12. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

Basically the article is confirming that the Bull Terriers (APBT) of that time weren't white show dogs like the more recent Bull Terrier (EBT)

The APBT is the same breed that was doing the fighting back in those days, be it against Lions or against each other....

13. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

There is hundreds of examples that the white BULL TERRIER was a show dog , registered as a breed and recognized by the English KC ,,,well before 1900 ,,,there are lots of books on Bull Terriers , that show ,,,KC registered Bull Terriers and winners of shows ,,,,, when they talk about the Bull and terriers in these old book they mean the dogs that went on to become the Staff bull terrier in England , and the American Pit bull terrier in USA,,, the white Bull Terrier , has always being bred as a show dog / pet dog

Robertosilva and DogMan85 like this.
  14. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

He's getting confused with the names, men called the APBT many names before they were officially recognised as the APBT, Bull Terrier being one of those names by some.

15. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Th fighting Bull and Terrier that became the Pit Bull Terrier/American Pit Bull Terrier and The Staffordshire Bull Terrier came in all colours including white. The Hinks dogs were not really Bull Terriers at all. Depending on what you read, he rounded up the pure White specimens of the fighting Bull and Terriers, bred in other dogs that he owned and already bred, such as his own show Bulldog, Terriers (probably White English Show Terriers), Dalmations, greyhounds etc. and basically bred the fight out of them to make a show dog in just a few generations. Shame, because he could have bred a good hunting and working dog if he wasn't a dog peddler and show dog fancier. The Argentinian guy Antonio Nores Martinez did similiar to create the Dogo and Johnson much later to create the American Bulldog. Both used the fighting dogs and bred in traits from other dogs to increase hunting ability and decrease dog agression. They also had performance in mind and put many more years perfecting their creations unlike Hinks.

Bull Terrier (1837)
    1837.jpg

Hinks Madman Published in 1872 but would have been earlier as Hinks died that year iirc

Hinks Madman 1872 Walsh .jpg
    An English Bull-Terrier not of the Hinks show variety (1882)

upload_2016-8-30_15-12-56.png

Bull Terriers (1882) owned by Vero Shaw who dominated the show seen after Hinks died

Bull Terrier 1882 Walsh .jpg

A Show "English Bull Terrier" - 1882

bullterrier 1882.png

Champions of The Pit - Some of which just happen to be White as the Bull Terrier doesn't have a monopoly on the colour white (1884)

champions-of-the-pit-feb-16-18.jpg

16. italianpit

italianpit Big Dog

It Means The type for Rat, dog ecc..for the most part were white But brindle or other colors And more bigger when They have mastiffs blood inside But were all Bull terrier dogs...The show type start with hinks this is not discussed, i never Say Mr hinks fought dogs! I Say He began his selection from that Kind of Bull terrier mostly white And Well know for their gameness. I Think we are saying almost The same things with some confusions about Names And time..in many old dogman's stories You Can Read stuff like: "off of a pure white English dog.." or, "this man imported a pure Red irish dog" ecc.. ecc..what that means for You?
    I know that in England there were many dogmans that held their lines as pure as possible before the fight Ban...

17. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

The Bull and Terriers he used to create the Bull Terrier were likely working dogs but that's where it ends. He added the English White Terrier, Dalmation and other breeds to create the Bull Terrier.....

18. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

The only one of hink's dogs was tested and that was madman. But a dog out of his Bruce dog was a tested pit dog ( and a man eater). In more recent times there has been 14 or so winning ebt and ebt crosses off the top of my head. While some of those dogs were curs, they all worked.

19. italianpit

italianpit Big Dog

Hinks never foughts dogs he just took only white subjects, no Matter of size and no matter if subjects were more terrier type or bull type, he cull only for color so when Health problems show up he ( But more his sons) put other Blood, in facts gull terrier have 7/8 years of life expectation...i've post some pictures about The Heads radiography..untill 1930 his Head was more functional...

20. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

The head is still fine now except I extreme cases.