1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Old Dogs VS Modern Dogs

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by slinky, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Mouser

Mouser Big Dog

When it was legal, more folks did it, but that doesn't necessarily mean they all knew what they were doing. I'd venture to guess it'd be about even. I want to put up a quote just for fun, because I see this term used alot. "I say if you put a Dead Game dog of today and one from early 1900's" well I'd say if you put two Dead Game dogs together, you wouldn't see much action, LOL! Folks telling you that they have dead game dogs, must have a defibulator machine to restart their hearts after death, cause dead dogs, don't walk. Mouser P.S. that was just in jest!

2. Dead-game,Deep-game,No Quit in Em', hell even game lol, but not a dog without a pulse, thats not what i meant by DeadGame.

3. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

most didnt feed store bought dog food in the old days....purina started sellin it in 1926 not in the grocery stores till 57.

4. I didnt know that mntman so they probably werent as well conditioned or healthy as modern dogs

5. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

Any respectable dogman knows how to provide quality aftercare for a dog before they ever set one down. A scarred up dog serves as an example of its owner's lack of veterinary knowledge and skill. Some scars just won't go away, no matter what methods you may use to try to heal them, but to see a dog covered in scars from head to toe makes me shake my head. I've seen dogs "go through hell" and you'd never know it 5 or 6 months later because they were given proper medical care afterward; care that was followed up for months to minimize scarring and assure the dog makes a full recovery. I've known people to roll dogs on the microbe-infested dirty ground, without a carpet or tarp, provide some brief aftercare (or none at all), and put them right back out on the chain. Often it's simply because they don't know any better, but other times it's because they just don't care. It's probably the biggest mistake I see doggers make these days, rolling dogs in the dirt instead of on a clean carpet or such. The cleaner a wound is, the better it will heal.

The misconception of the century -"Less people were willing in the old days to make excuses for crappy temperment."
    There has always been plenty of money involved in the investment of a dog, including sport wagers. Historically, temperament almost always took a back seat to gameness and ability. Tant fed some mean dogs, as did Tudor, Carver, and several other well-known dogmen/women. Probably anyone you can think of kept a manbiter or two (or more than a few.) It didn't make economical sense to cull a good pitdog just because it wasn't friendly with everyone. The idea that dogs were disqualified if they bit someone in a match is bogus. Most usually the show went on. People weren't real open about it if they happened to have a manbiter because nobody wanted to step into the box with one. Generally speaking though, manbiters weren't that big of a deal. I guarantee that far more dogs are culled for "crappy temperament" today than they were 30 years ago.

6. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

they fed scraps so in my opinion they were healthier then.Dog allergies and diabetes etc didnt start till commercial dog food but thats another story..sorry!

7. I think the true question should be: Is the blood as clean as in the old days? And we have to notice that many matches in old times went over 2 hours...or 3hours or over 3 houers...near 5 houers..and today? I heard an oldtimer say that the rolls in old times were harder then matches today....maybe there is some trues in it.

8. How dead game was he? OH very dead...very very dead!UH great....! :)

9. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

Most matches are over in less than an hour. The same was true 20, 30, 60 years ago.

10. Thats it...but I think that back in the old days were more real marathon matches than today.....and I know that some were lie -around affairs but ... however I think it shows that the old stuff is worthy to talk about.....and you see that the dogmen who believed in the old blood are the most sucesful from today(like norrod,sorrels or boudreux....and their dogs are in most cases red, brindle,buckskin or yellow ones...and they dont bred for color..:) ) I believe in the oldtime dogs....and in all dogmen who try to keep it pure,game and the old way...and to the colors....I think that red,brindle,yellow and buckskin are the oldest colors ...they are the rootcolors.

11. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Thanks for the clarification.

12. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

The modern day health problems so many dogs face DOES have a lot to do with diet, but SO MUCH MORE to do with puppy peddling. WAY more homes own dogs than in the past, and there are WAY more folks out there breeding dogs to make a buck, with NO other purpose in mind. This is by nature going to create dogs with poor health. As we work farther and farther from breeding dogs for purpose (hell, even getting from breeding dogs for show to just breeding dogs because they have reproductive organs) our dogs will become less and less healthy.

That being said, yes...most readily available (grocery store) foods are CRAP...but there are plenty of GOOD quality kibbles out there. You just have to know where to look and what to look for, and if you ask me, any "dogman" who gives half a shit about his dogs would know this, so food doesn't play as much into the equation.

13. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

you know what they say about opinions and what they are like.And i was just commenting on ones statement about feed.

14. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

As was I...isn't that the whole point of a discussion? Hmmmmmm...

Well now I'm going to eat my microwaved spring rolls. My dogs eat better than I do. lol

15. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Boys Boys settle down now lol we cant change the past we can only change the future lol.

16. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

Hey I wasn't upset? I don't think our friend mntman was either? I'm quite capable of exchanging smart assed remarks without getting upset, thank you very much.

Oh, and who you calling boy? Huh? Huh? I was lucky enough to be born of the SUPERIOR sex.

Juuuuuust kidding.

Holy derailed thread batman...someone fix it quick!

17. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

shit i wasnt upset either we are entitled to our opinions i hate people that agree all the time.