1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Old Dogs VS Modern Dogs

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by slinky, Feb 27, 2006.

1. slinky

slinky Pup

were the old dogs from Early Days.... Better than Modern day dogs..
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Slinky

2. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

i think so ...everything..they dont makim like they used to..back then champs where champs...and today we have to many mixed breedings going on..150 lb.blue pits and all..

3. I Would Say Dogs Of The Past Compared With Game Dogs Of Today And I Compare Them Only With Game Dogs Are Pretty Much On Par The Only Real Diffrence From Today And Yesteryear Was You Could Know If Your Dogs Were Game Or Not,by Using Them For What They Was Bred For.but Really Thats The Only Diffrence That I Find Today Between Well Bred Game Dogs.but Like I Said Earlier I Never Compare The Big Blue Dogs To Real Pitbulls.

4. There was a time wen only red, buckskin,yellow and brindle were the dominating colors.....all others were rare colors.

5. thats news to me dogmen really never did put stock on color all we wanted was a good dog for the pit back in the old days before it was banned.

6. Mercepitdog

Mercepitdog Big Dog

As generations pasts, the ones who are aimming to keep the breed true to its self, is better than the past.

7. Well, years ago, dogmen fed so-call crappy food such as supermarket brands, the "juice" was weaker, etc.

8. Why are the dogs not all scarred up in the pictures of old fighting dogs, but when we see pictures or tv shows (Animal Cops) with modern day fighting dogs, the dogs look like the've been through hell. Is it the photo quality or were the old fighting dogs better cared for?

9. Get real. I know many here want to say that but the fact is that most yards of yesteryear and today were either Black, Red, Buckskin, and some brindle. If the little whelped other colors, they were said to be abnormal (not true to its strain and were the first to be sold/culled unless it was a "throw back"). This is not to say that they were breeding for color but color was in fact an element in the equation.

10. Those picture you see on tv are of dogs used by novices or street fighters that did not care for their athletes after they performed for them. These "novices" either never cared to learn or never new the proper sequence of events.

11. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I'm sort of new to the board so I wanted to think awhile before I answered this question. My answer is yes they were as a whole. The main reasons? Fewer dogs being bred so poorly. And dogs (particuarly working dogs) being culled much harder. Also from old people I've talked to and from my memory of being a kid, less people were willing in the old days to make excuses for crappy temperment.

This might be out of bounds and if it is, please delete it and my apologies but. in the pitdog "game" from what I've read its even gotten worse. It seems like a lot more $$$$$ is involved now so that people are less willing to cull a manbiter that might also be a winner. I've read a fair amount of breed history and I really never have read of a man-biter being mentioned until suddenly Bullyson, Zebo, Honeybunch and others start being mentioned as manbiters. I recall even reading that Chinaman bit his owner once. Maybe this went on in the past but I can't find mention of it.
    Heard about an Amstaff that was best in class in a recent big show and the dog was so people shy the judge could barely handle the dog. But it wasn't disqualifyed.

So, in short, more bad breeding (and therefore more iffy dogs in the hands of iffy owners) Less hard culling, more excuses made for crappy temperment. AND, more working dogs winding up living in situations they were never bred for, IE apartments in large citys.

12. SFK

SFK Top Dog

I believe this is a rather subjective question. In the old days (early 1900's-1960's) Almost all APBT's where in the hands of Fanciers who used them for their intended purpose. So I believe the overall quality of the dogs was higher. But to compare a top-notch Gamedog from the past to a tried & true Gamedog of modern times, evolution, supplementation, diet, & modern conditioning techniques come into play. I believe that very few of the "Pitbulls" that are part of the scenery in this country today would be fed by any dogman of the past.

13. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

A question on the torn-up dogs comment. Did the oldtime dogmen get vet care for their dogs after a match? (Before laws were passed requiring the vets to turn them in.) Or maybe care for them themselves? I'm just wondering. I wasn't around during that era, and most of the info I have on the sport is biased.

14. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

If you talking about gameness I would say its about even unless your talking about percentages then the dogs of old would be higher. If you talking about performance modern day wins hands down. The reason yes evolution,science and technology do play a part but the main reason is there where only a limited amount of pits back then but now in modern times we have sooo many pits maybe too many lol.

EliNeverDies likes this.
  15. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Let me put it this way even way back then Veterinarians,Doctors,lawyers,law enforcers and yes even Judges of the court where somehow involved. Almost same like it is today.

16. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

I believe this is a rather subjective question. In the old days (early 1900's-1960's) Almost all APBT's where in the hands of Fanciers who used them for their intended purpose. So I believe the overall quality of the dogs was higher. But to compare a top-notch Gamedog from the past to a tried & true Gamedog of modern times, evolution, supplementation, diet, & modern conditioning techniques come into play. I believe that very few of the "Pitbulls" that are part of the scenery in this country today would be fed by any dogman of the past.

thats what i was thinking

17. SFK

SFK Top Dog

This is from a historical perspective only. Dogmen LOVE their Dogs! They feed them better, exercise them better, & generally care for them better than most pet owners you will ever know! And Damn sure a lot better then some Shelter or puppy peddler! They took excellent care of their dogs. They still do take excellent care of their dogs. It's the Thugs & the Punks who think they look cool walking a beat up dog around. Most Dogmen are as knowledgable if not more knowledgable than many Vet Techs when it comes to caring for an injured animal.

14rock likes this.
  18. LONGHORNS

LONGHORNS Big Dog

Old School Dogs Will Always Bite Hard While Modern Dogs Screams Loud

19. I agree with u SFK supplements,better quality of food, and better conditioning play a big part in in this. I say if you put a Dead Game dog of today and one from early 1900's,I say the one of today walks out the pit a winner if it were still legal, but then again it is the pit so you never know what could happen, thats my opinion. that was a damn good question slinky.

20. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I could very well be wrong, but from what I gather game dogs of the present seem more fast and efficient than the dogs of the past.

In the past people didn't have the money to feed dogs for the hell of it either, so people didn't buy, breed and own dogs for the sake of a fad.

Unless it was a lady's poodle!