1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Old dog food

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by dublin526, Oct 18, 2008.

1. dublin526

dublin526 Pup

I came across an unopened bag of dry dog food in storage from a move in the beginning of the year. Its been there for about 9 months. Is it ok or should I toss it?:confused:

2. Marty

Marty Guest

I wouldn't take the chance if it was me :eek:

3. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

Dump it. The crap that can grow or end up in unused dog food is amazingly gross

4. Nikita

Nikita Big Dog

toss it wold you eat 9 month old cereal?
    :)

5. WWII

WWII Banned

Yes. Just ate some that was expired last year. :)

6. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I it just 9 months old as in being there, or is it 9 months old because the date says so. If it is still in date, I dont see how it could be hurt unless it got wet or something. Guess you would know by examining it.

7. masta of game

masta of game Banned

i would throw it. not wotrh the rist.. how mch would i save if u use it.. and how much would it cost u if the dog gets sick .. " vet bill "

8. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

I agree, if it's not expired & the bag is intact, not torn or holes, I would think it would still be good.

9. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

check the date on the bag. If it's not exp. use it.

10. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Dont take the chance!! feed the fish with it . Its a pain in the ass taking care of a dog that gets food sick.

11. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

If it's not expired smell it. If it was out in a shed exposed to extreme temperatures like heat, it could go bad. If it smells rancid but it's not expired, throw it. expired, throw it not matter how it smell just to be safe.
    If it smells OK and not expired I'd maybe feed it.

If I had to guess I bet it's rancid anyway. Heat will ruin the food. It could cause moisture to evaporate in the bag and then you could get mold or something. ewe!