1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ol south bulldogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by shotgun wg, Dec 31, 2013.

1. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Does anyone know anything about these dogs. I know they are not considered game but I would figure them to be less DA. I hog hunt and being less DA is a plus for me. I like a pit but they are not ideal for hunting in my opinion. These dogs were used as true stock dogs years ago and from what I have read there are still lines around that meet this requirement. I'm not looking for a dog that would show out in a [] but one I could work with my bay dogs without be worried about loosing a bay dog. Any info would be appreciated.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Shotgun look on youtube and look for a bulldog named Snow..He is catching a hog..And that may lead u to some kennel info..Thier is a kennel runnin that blood and I wouldnt mind trying it myself..If i can remember the kennel name Ill let u know..I just cant remember it right now.

3. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

My bad shotgun.The dogs name is Hines Snowbird and the video starts off showing the dog do some bitework on a sleeve..and at the end shows him catching a nice hog...If i was going the route u looking to go I would try to get something good down from this blood..jmo

4. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

That dude hit hard. No regrip holding like he should not fighting the hog. Them bay dogs would be left out round here. I like mine rough and all of mine woulda been helping not just standing there. Lol good looking dog tho.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

5. toom

toom Big Dog

HOLY CRAP that dog is a MONSTER.

6. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

lol That was good stuff! Came out of nowhere and didn't let go.

7. i have one from joshua kennels he is a great dog and from a line of hog dogs he will play nice with other dogs he is very obedient have not had him out in the woods yet but will hopefully do so in 2014

8. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

I looked at his dogs. I liked the look at his description of his dogs and what he standard he breeds to.

Gun season for deer goes out today here. I'm setting here going thru my cut kit restocking it now. We gonna drop dogs bout 630 or 7 in the am and get this year started with a squeal. Keep me updated on how urs is working out. I think these dogs have the size of the dogo but better price and probly more dependability without the DA. I have talked to several running dogos and they say they are idiots until 2 and have a tendency to be DA.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

9. old goat

old goat CH Dog

game dogs are not ideal for hunting lol sure .

10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Some can dam sure get it done OG..

11. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Never said they can't get it done. Never said they didn't make good catch dogs.
    I said they are not ideal for me due to the high rate of DA. Lots of game dogs also tend to regrip going for the kill instead of holding. As I said I was not looking for what was the better dog but opinions on these dogs.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

12. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

hell thats just a ear dog with finish lmao..Ill take it.

13. old goat

old goat CH Dog

i seen a lot of dogs do just fine . cold dogs sometimes will hit a hog . my dogs get along just fine with the bay dog but they were raised with it . you just have to know what your doing with a gamedog . a kangal will do the job on a big hog i was told by a friend that owns some .

14. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Lol I reckon different strokes huh. I know guy that run full game blood and love them. I have hunted with a couple that were great catch dogs. But u had to be careful when u had them on the wheeler or handling the hog cause there was a good chance they may catch a bay dog. I hunt alone or with my wife and 2yo a good bit. They just don't fit my style the best. I have a gyp I hunt now that is a bulldog. She does good with little to no DA but she isn't a game dog either. I have no problem with what the next guy runs but I have my own preference for what I hunt.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

15. b dub

b dub Pup

a never seen one of the dogs that talked about can some one post some pics ;;;;;;;;;; if he or she has time thanks

16. Harky

Harky Pup

Hines Snowbird was an Am bulldog. If you want to hunt pigs day in day out go for a cross between a sighthound - Deerhound, Wolfhound or working type Greyhound with an APBT, Amstaff or Am bulldog. Better yet get a good Dogo Argentino from working lines. We can't get Dogos in Australia so the Bullarab fills that niche. Bullarabs were a three way cross starting with German Shorthaired Pointer crossed with working style Greyhound,this in turn was crossed with English Bullterrier. Some Bloodhound was infused into some lines as well. People have tried straight APBT and Am Bulldogs here and weren't happy about their lack of stamina, DA and general lack of hunting ability. A good working Dane if you can find it goes well with a sighthound cross.Same goes for English Mastiff or Bullmastiff cross sighthound. The idea is to have speed and stamina with the mouth of the Am Bulldog, APBT or Mastiff. If you just go out every now and then most breeds can be trained to hold pigs.

17. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

I currently run a ridgeback pit cross that is excellent. He is RCD finder holder type dog. Put him down in the morning pick him up in the afternoon. He can be ran 1 out but I have only done it a few times. I would love to have 6 more just like him. I use bulldogs as walk in back up. My bay dogs are rough and will help the ridge when he catches but on a big pig by myself the bulldog is just more anchor. I know its overkill sometimes but I have not had a dog cut in a long time. The stag and wolf hounds are hard to come by here without a long drive. We don't have ridgebacks here either. I had to go to Texas to get him. I know y'all have real good luck with those crosses in OZ. I talk with a few hog hunter down ur way.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

18. Harky

Harky Pup

The old style Rhodesian ridgebacks were pretty good at staying out of the way of a pig as well. Guess it's those lion baying genes. That was the main criticism that they took longer than bull breeds to learn to hold. Against a big unruly pig though the R.R would be the most likely to not get hurt. Ridgebacks have amazing lateral movement. I'd always be surprised by how much stamina a Ridgeback possesses.
    I know I've talked about it before but I reckon my best dog was a Dane cross Am Bulldog. She was so athletic. Looked like an over sized Dogo. She would do somersaults at full speed running down a hill and land on her feet. I saw her kill a 100kg boar one day. I only had a knife with me and my Bullarab had dislocated his jaw a while back so he stayed well clear. Anyway this was in rainforest and about an hour in she had it by the nose in an old gold dig. I jumped down with my knife dislocating my left shoulder in the process. I turned around and left her. I returned about 4 hrs later and there she was minus one canine. The pig wasn't breathing. I gutted it and it took me 4 back packs full of meat to get it out of there. Knew a fellow with a Dane cross APBT. His main trouble with his dog was getting it off after the pig was dead.

19. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Lol on the last line. That dog of urs was a hoss. That's a good pig to go to the end with.

My ridge has always been hog nuts. He don't check up. Biggest pig I caught was 270# on a scale with 3.5" cutters. He caught and the only other dog there was my redbone gyp. She caught the other ear. I slipped in stuck it and left them on it till it was done. That is nothing to what urs did.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

20. Harky

Harky Pup

I've heard that the biggest pig shot was in Texas. Trouble with the big black razorbacks living in the mountains is that they can be really mean. Especially on dogs that stir them up. I lived next to Mt Bartle frere in Qld. The same dog that killed the boar got tossed in her first encounter. For the area where I lived 100kg wasn't big. She was about 9 months old and the tusk went up along her side and out the top of her back. After she killed that boar she was about 4-5 years old and was pig crazy after that. She never made it past 5 years old. She used to crack small snakes like a whip. She'd fight with the big Amethystine pythons from the time I first got her. Had a fight with a large Taipan one day and that was it.
    I ended up sick of the pigs there. If it was wet there which was like most of the year the pigs would always be around. Had a litter of pups APBT/Bullarab cross Bullarab. The mother would be out fighting pigs while she was nursing them. She'd go where it hurts up the rear end and they'd squeal. I kept two males out of the litter. They were 10wks old when they had their first encounter up Topaz creek. They both bolted after a big boar. One stayed out of the way but my favourite one didn't. He was O.K. though, just one cut on his belly. I brought him down to N.S.W. when he was older. No pigs where I live now. So whats he do? He ends up killing a Platypus and it stings him on the throat. Vet couldn't save him. Any way nice talking and good luck on those pigs.