1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ok, i got a little problem!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by MAXIM, Mar 29, 2007.

1. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

Max is almost 20 weeks, and ever since day one he could not stand car rides. The moment we put him in the car, he begins to drool accessively, which always results in him throwing up. THIS HAPPENDS EVERYTIME! The back of my car must always have a towel or blanket covering the back seat where he sits/lays while we drive, and its always soaked from his saliva...I figured after some time it would just stop, NO, ITS GOTTEN WORSE! He salivates so badly that he looks like the alien from the movie "Alien", where the very thick saliva just drips down from its teeth & mouth....Any suggestions? Plz!
    The vet told me about some pills that he can take b4 a car ride, that wont upset his stomach as badly. But i just dunno, seeing how educated u all are on here, i figured u guys would know about this type of problem. The new puppy Domino however, loves the car rides, never drools and we have no problem getting her in the car, she jumps right in. Max almost has to be put in the car by us sometimes, he doesnt wanna jump in or anything! And we love to travel, go to our parents houses & this is really becoming a problem for us, cause were on the move alot! What to do, what to do........

2. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Well, you can try the pills the vet suggested. They are like the human motion sickness pill, Dramamine. You might also try an herbal remedy that helps nasuea. Maybe get some air freshener type, so you can have the car smell like that particular herb...Or get some herbal oils and massage the dog with them before your car ride. The final thing I would suggest as "final attemp" is a tranq for him. Maybe that would help if you had to go on very long rides, but I wouldn't use them everytime you drove somewhere.....Good luck, and take your vet's advice.

3. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

Thank you!

4. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

i cant guarenty this will work but hey what the heck right ... anyway IMO you first have to see if this problem is psycological or pyisical ie did he just have a bad experience in the car so now its just how it is for him for example just seeing everything go by so fast ive seen dogs that in my opinion just couldnt handle that aspect of it or on the other hand is he actully getting sick from the motion of the ride? well id say try taking your dog for a good ol walk right and when you get back from this good ol walk instead of going in the house sit in the car with him but dont go anywhere do this a bunch of times see if you can get it to the point where he doesnt drool any more if its pcycologyical eventully hel just relate going for a walk (witch is a good thing in his eyes) with getting in the car and it wont be an issue now at this point you can see if the motions make him sick take him for a ride after hes in the car and not drooling see what happens that will tell you which side of the spectrom the problem is on if its pcycologocal your problems pritty much fixed at this point...if its pysical (the motions actully make him sick) try some of the pills your vet recomended...on that note id still work on the pcycological part of it even if the motions make him sick cause itll help in the long run ... i hope this will help a little bit ...and i hope it makes sense lol good luck with your lil guy

malachi and BoogiemanBlood like this.
  5. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

U know, thats what my father in law told me i should do. get him in the car, not drive anywhere & just sit there for a little while and then go in the house....Cause he used to start to drool the moment he got in the car, even when it wasnt moving, so its def psychological :(
    If that doesnt work, im gonna have to resort to the pills! Thanks for ur advice!

6. that's pretty good advice!

and maxim if your f i l told you to do that already have you been working on it? if not get ur ass busy...lol

7. Michele

Michele Guest

this is from my Heal Your dog the natural way book:

Travel sickness: peppermint helps to get rid of the anxiety, ginger biscuits before the journey helps. Ok, it says also to hang a bunch of parsley in the car.

8. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

LOL Well he told me this last night, this is all pretty new...I mean he's been drooling in the car from day 1, but i finally came to a conclusion that this is a serious problem last night! YEAH SON...SAY SOMETHING NOW!!! j/K :)

OK im gonna start this process 2nite, wish me luck ya'll!

9. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

Right about now, i will try anything!

10. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

get your dog to love the car. Praise and treat him for going near it, then in it. Keep doing this until he feels comfortable. Then start out with short trips around the block, to the store, etc. My girl Diamond was terrified of car rides too, and wouldn't even go near our vehicles. This is what we did and it worked. Also, this valerian root stuff is a good natural sedative and may relax the dog enough to not freak out so much about being in the car.

11. Michele

Michele Guest

very good stuff

12. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

This is a very good point as well...He's responded well to many things when given treats, so maybe that & short rides around the block just might work! Oh and i know all about the valerian root, my hot-tempered russian ass takes it myself, to calm my ass down when im having serious PMS! Lol...Thanks!

13. Yes, this is not motion sickness.....this is anxiety.

Rory had motion sickness....she wasnt scared of the car she loved it BUT she threw up everytime we drove for the first couple of weeks....that is motion sickness not anxiety....htere is a huge difference
    Your baby is experienceing anxiety,ie drooling, panting, amybe shaking. The treat suggestion is AWESOME if he will repsond to treats in the scared state he is in when getting in the car. I dont think the pills from the vet is a good idea because they are meant for motion sickness......which dosnt seem neccessary to treat his fear. I would look into Bach's Rescue Remedy. I used to give it to Rory when we were going to be around fireworks, it is a healthy all natural flower extract that calms them a bit. I took it myself because I didnt want to actually drug her but it was a nice mild cooling effect......not nearly as heavy as say a viccodin or even Tylenol PM would be to us humans.

14. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

I love u guys, thank u! I thought it was gonna be like this forever, this just has to end, i spend 25% of my time in the car & Max just has to get past this...I copied & pasted all the great advice on Word, and printed it out...Thanks again!

15. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Talk to your vet about a prescription for Acepromazine.

16. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Have you tried short trips to fun places? I have a dog that would always puke in the car. I started putting him in the car and driving 5 minutes down the road to the park, where we'd have fun. Some dogs get stressed in the car because they relate it to unpleasant things, like the vet or the groomer. If the dog starts to associate the car with fun things, it will become a more pleasant experience for him.

Also, keep your music down and go easy on your turns, braking, accelerating, etc. At least until the problem passes. He may also feel more secure if you belt him in (if you don't do that already).

17. I bought this motion sickness cream and used it a couple times when I first started showing princess and it seems to work well. I,ll try to find that bottle and give a name of it soon.

18. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Rescue Remedy!!!!

19. man I havn,t used that bottle in so long I cant rember where it is I,ll keep looking and let ya know.

20. Phebes

Phebes Guest

It may take a long time..My female will turn 1 year on Apr 11 and she can now ride about 5 miles before getting sick. Forget the pills, she just throws them up.
    We started out just sitting in the car, then sitting in the car w/ the engine on, we went to end of driveway got out and went for a walk. Our driveway is about an acre long. Then down the street a short ways. So after 9 months I can now go to my daughters house where there are wonderful trails and beaver dams without her getting sick. We go every other day and walk a couple miles. She really likes going bye bye but if the ride is to long she will still get sick. I want her so to get over this cause she loves water but the river is about 8 miles away and I would love to spend the summer there. Her brother never gets sick, never has.
    My daughter's Rottie was the same way but at about 15 months just seemed to out grow being car sick. They could travel cross country with her after that.
    So good luck and if you find a fast cure let me know cause the vet and I have tried everything.