1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

OK DONT LAUGH @ ME!!! BUT........(Juss Read)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Laced Wit Game, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i kno, i kno.... i cant see myself workin there either!

but hey unemployment has been dickin me around and i got bills to pay.

so heres my question, what do i need to do to get this job?

and what questions should i prepare myself for? (and what are the answers? lol)

what do i need to say to them,

i applied at petsmart a few years back (in the warehouse)

and got an interview but didnt make the cut during the interview. i need to be prepared this time.

should i even mention that ive handled APBT's for 10-15 yrs or does that make me a "dogfighter" in those peoples eyes (considering that the majority that deal with petco/petsmart are PRO HS & PETA)?

its for an assistant groomer position.

all input will be appreciated.

2. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

_ bump_______________________

3. lqaddict

lqaddict Big Dog

Just say you know how to handle dogs, and you have a couple of dogs on your own, no need to mention the breed.
    Other than that, I don't know.
    Good luck!

4. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

i worked at a petsmart for 3 years when i was in high school but my school helped me get the job in the first place just dress poroper and blow smoke out your ass lol jk

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

-----------bump------------

6. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

I would definitely mention that you have lots of experience with APBTs. Either your gonna get lucky and the person is going to be someone who loves APBTs and they could be impressed by a responsible Pit Bull owner and want to hire you for that. I know at the Petsmart I go to majority of the workers love them, or if this person hates the breed then they will think "Wow, if this guy can handle those crazy killer dogs, he can handle whatever comes in here to be groomed!" So I don't know, I see if working out both ways.

7. pitbullkid86

pitbullkid86 Big Dog

Jus mention you got the dogs from the pound. And he is a pitbull mix dog

8. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

why didnt you get it last time? if you didnt ask, there is your first mistake, if you dont know why you werent hired how can you change your aproach?

you should allready know what questions round about they are going to ask you because youve been asked them before.
    i would be asking questions of your own you have to remember your interveiwing them too.
    just because you applyed it doesnt mean you know everything about the job or the employer it means that on first glance you see potential as a job that "may" suit you.

tell them you own a couple of bulldogs you wouldnt be lying that way so they wont be able to pick it on your body language.
    ask the questions they want to hear, like where will this position lead you?
    when i interveiw someone i want them to want to progress up the ladder even if the position will not go anywhere down the track, hireing a person who is happy to stay where they are is not good for them or workplace moral which will overall bring the whole place down.
    be honest, if they say you wont be anywhere in two years but in the same position they hire you for tell them chances are you will be elsewhere by that stage.
    at least you come across like you want to do something with your life.

im pretty happy to work a shit kicking job for a bit better than average money as long as i have clothes on my back and a roof on my head and my dogs get fed, but somehow i have worked my way from a 25k a year job over the years up to a 60k a year job with little to no education, and i am no longer out on the road, im in an office behind a desk typing shit on here bacause the works been done. a little bit of motivation goes a long way as does how confident you are and how you carry yourself.

good luck.

p.s no blunts before the interview!

9. kera5

kera5 Big Dog

hmmm!so that's how u feel about our breed:mad: hey dude do not say that u have apbt's,just say u have experiance with animals,that's all they need to know.good luck!:D

10. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Tell them you need the job to help pay for schooling cause you're looking into going back to school. It worked for me several times. You could even lay it on thick and tell them you're considering going into veterinary school or pet health or some kind of zoo stuff or somethin just not in those hillbilly words.

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

dont meantion being into bulldogs, just say u have pet knowledge exspecially with dogs and you own a few. Just dress nice and show u are well spoken. As long as you look and sound good you will be considered

12. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

right on guys, thx a lot

keep em comin...................

13. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

maybe i should write down questions to ask them? and bring a notepad with me? that way theylle think im organized?

14. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I wouldn't even mention your dogs breed just simply say you have raised dogs for such & such a time frame and move on from there, if asked what kind, just lie and say many different breeds and just start naming them, i.e I've raised collies, shelties, labs, poodles, cock-a-doddle-labra-doodles (they'll love that one). If you really want a job there I suggest you play the bleeding heart type, best help I can offer, good luck with your interview, just be polite, pleasent, make eye contact and speak directly yet act compassionate.......good luck!;) and anyone who would laugh at you for tring to get a job is a douche bag.......:p

15. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

What? That I'm not ashamed or afraid to tell people what kind of dog I like and own? :confused:

16. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Listen man, anybody who would laugh at somebody trying to get an honest job and trying to help themselves isn't worth worrying about. Shit is rough and hectic right now. If you can, ask someone who works there what the decision makers are looking for. Beyond that, there's a lot of good advice here,...although I always vote for keeping ones business to oneself unless directly asked and when asked, be honest. Make sure they know you're capable, flexible timewise and have a plan and a backup for getting to work on time. That's what I usually concerned myself with most when I had to hire folks.

17. Phillip

Phillip Pup

Laced - besides answering the general questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years", "what are one or two areas you need improvement in", questions like that... I would approach them and ask them "what traits or qualities are they looking for in a successful Assistant groomer?"

Once you ask that question, sit back and listen to what they say. When they are done, say "that sounds like a great fit and here is why...." Then proceed to hit each of the bullet points they described and then describe in your own words how you possess those traits/qualities by giving examples.

18. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

don't ask any "what's in it for me" questions. & don't say shit about bulldogs. say patterdales or something along them lines instead of bulldogs. it's only petsmart just talk about health/feed things so you can help out customers with there questions.

19. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Just go in,be polite,dress nice and they'll ask what they want to know.If you really want the job,talk with a lisp and tell them you're gay.They'll have to hire you then,they'll be afraid of being sued for discrimination,LOL :D

20. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

yep and after that hook everyone on game-dog up with that good employee discount;)