1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

OFRN too much dog for just a pet?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Guy4God, Feb 26, 2016.

1. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Lol people catching feelings !

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I don't know any pure but it doesn't mean there isn't.I do know that some of these families contain quite a bit of OFRN.It surely made its impact and still does.Just like everything can be traced back to Colby ,you can pretty much say the same about OFRN.

3. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

I guess one of the purest OFRN dogs I've seen was tight breed of Lightner dogs. Although she was old and I never saw her go, several close friends did. She was what you would call dumb game! Even though she was tight breed on Lightners dogs it wouldn't be 100%. Her dam might have been but she was half line bred E. Crenshaws Major She is in some of my foundation blood, she passed around 73 and around 12, got A puppy out of her last litter! C. Feeley was an importer of a lot of the OFRN, after his time who knows?

4. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

that has nothing to do with keeping it pure past the 60s and those whom decided they were worth keeping pure past them have made little impact on todays modern combat dogs...

when I ask plenty of oldtimers this question,,,
    I get the same answer everytime...

I asked HH about the OFRN and he said he seen not one that was memorable...
    I asked HH about your mentor,,, and his comment made all of us chuckle,,,
    I wont repeat it pubicaly beacause I respect your mentor enough to not share it...

I dont hate but dislike two things in this order,,,
    those whom knocks down others accomplishments as your mentor does,,,
    and those whom decide its time to breed workers for color and looks...

You know as well as I do,,,
    that when the old timer mentioned this lightner bred bitch,,,
    that she was of his later darker smaller dogs,,,
    now lightner chose those over his families OFRN strain his family had pre and very early 1900s...

Now If Mr Lightner gave up on the ofrn his daddy and uncles had way back then,,,
    why would you still be holding on to it almost a hundred years later???

5. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher Big Dog

Is anything pure? LOL. I won't argue that the OFRN isn't what it used to be..........in most circles. It's a sad testament of our society and how it has just about destroyed this breed of dog. My mentor won't even bat an eyelash over your "oldtimer's" comments LOL. His accomplishments speak for themselves, and he's gained the respect from those who matter. Like I said, I know why you hate. Lightner didn't give up on the OFRN. Funny you mention his two strains though because his best "dark" dog at the time, Colorado Imp, was beaten by his best red nose, Searcy Jeff. Once again, no matter where you sit on the subject....take the OFRN out of this breed's blood and what do you have left?

6. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Big Dog

At the end of the day it's all about WINNING! You can say WHATEVER about WHOEVER as long as your more successfull! It's not about PERSONALITIES it's about WINNING! How lucky are the thin skinned, feel they are entitled, done nothing arm chair dogmen would only feel MOIST if Carver, Heinzl or the Rebel was alive and on the internet!

7. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I like your post LC,,, good reply...

The old advertisements of Bob Wallace during the 1940's clearly reflect the breeding and maintenance of the old Corcoran and Lightner Line of dogs. Most of the advertisements were stated in bold print. During the 1940's Bob Wallace began to look "Red Nose" dogs to out cross his own with. At this time he felt that his own dogs were getting as tight as could be productively bred. When he began his search he found that the pure "Old Family Red Nose" dogs were almost extinct. Most of the lines were ruined or contaminated through careless breeding. However, he was finally able to locate and obtain seven pure "Red Nose" dogs of high caliber, whose pedigree he could authenticate.

I like Mr Mullins write up on the ofrn...

I like the ofrns,,, as well as the red smutt and blue pauls as a part of history,,,
    but wouldnt seek more than that...

8. RFTW

RFTW Pup

Searcy Jeff was a brindle dog,I know that.I always thought he was a black brindle.Was he a red nosed brindle?Either way he was not a pure OFRN dog.

9. ProdigalPupsBL

ProdigalPupsBL Red Demon's Problem Child

A OFRN is not a pet... not a true OFRN.

10. 80BOWTIE

80BOWTIE Big Dog

I remember Backwoods. Had some real bulldogs. Missed a chance to buy a few when he shut down. Didn't know he was breeding reds?

11. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

He had a few reds, also had some nice red devil stuff crossed into Boze/eli stuff

12. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I agree caj and like that cross also...

ironline seemed strategic when he placed the boze blood with certain people,,,
    as well as some other well bred eli dogs that were kept by flores,,,
    the cross seemed good,,,
    I just wonder why it never made it in the ironline yard???

I also wonder why the redboy dogs did make it onto the yard???

some would say gameness and I couldnt argue with that but also wonder if something else helped that decision...

The war eagle noted that that ironline/ox/boze stuff gave him some fine quality box dogs,,,
    but when taken in deep waters all of them curred...

now I wont mention COLOR,,,
    but the war eagle also sought another "red strain" strictly on their heart known as the hellbend dogs...

so in my studies there are three lines noted for being red rednose dogs,,,
    the tonka/clouse family,,, the redboy dogs and the ironline dogs that were also noted for their gameness...

I agree crossing them with other lines seems to give them more balance,,,
    the red seems to counter the black and so forth,,,
    makes me weary of all red yards or all black yards...

I think when a family isloates its traits into one color it also isolates its genes,,,
    it seems that family such as boyles with such vast traits and colors makes for the longevity
    for a super structure...

13. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher Big Dog

OFRN are of a distinct color......that's the way it is. Not sure why that is considered breeding for color issue.
    Redboy = OFRN
    IM's accomplishments with these dogs is known to most.
    I will never understand the dislike, by some, for the OFRN. Such an integral part of this breed's history, and cherished by many a dogman for their gameness. I suppose the attacks are aimed more toward an individual rather than the strain itself......but that horse has been dead and buried. Time to move on.

14. Eagle

Eagle Big Dog

I've skimmed through this thread and noticed some calling the OFRN a line, others asking if they are pure.

OFRN is a strain, not a line. As for purity, they are purebred ApBT's.
    For the "purest" family of dogs in the last 50 years, here they are:
    http://www.ironlinekennels.com/pitbullofrn_px.html

OFRN dogs were developed by crossing the Old Family Reds from Ireland with the other fighting dogs here.
    They were valued for their gameness above all. Soon, dogs began throwing the red coats of various shades, with red noses.
    The OFRN strain preserves the blood of the old Irish dogs, and the gameness the good ones carry, as well as their power.
    Hemphill wrote in his ads if the strain: "The Gamest Ever Bred."
    Where the red Lightner dogs came from is hard to say.

In can say this, speaking of the blood I have. They are not for everyone and require responsible owners. They must be kept confined to prevent killing other dogs.
    They are HOT and dominant, and their mentality is, "there can be only one."
    Very high prey drive and are total package dogs.

Since the 80's the strain had bloodlines that were watered down by color breeders.
    This is also when the Wilder dogs began throwing the widows peak, as Jake crossed his dogs with red bone coonhound. WP dogs are banned in the OFRN Registry. Many disagree, and deny they are mixed. To each their own.

The OFRN Registry was created to preserve the true OFRN dogs, according to traditional standards.
    It is not about the money or quantity, but quality.
    It is small, but that is the way they want it, to keep a small circle of dedicated OFRN fanciers together with a purpose to preserve them.

Here is a pic of one of my dogs. She is five now. Color is dark red brindle. I can assure anyone, she is not one to the watered down ones. Super high prey drive..
    [​IMG]

Decimated 52 and reddirt redneck like this.
  15. Eagle

Eagle Big Dog

When speaking of ability, my dog's aunt escaped at the kennel of breeder of other blood and killed every dog there, seven if I remember.
    Only survivors were some puppies that were caged.

The breeder then got rid of her, though, seeing she destroyed all his dogs.

16. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Beautiful dog Eagle ! thanks for sharing.

17. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher Big Dog

She looks great Eagle......5 years old, where does the time go? See you in a few....

18. Eagle

Eagle Big Dog

Don't think I'll be making it this year. Had an incident this past week. I email you about it when I'm around my computer.

No kidding, time flies!

19. SOULDOG

SOULDOG TEMPLE OF THE DOGS

So he cant register his own dogs in his registry because it has a widows peak ... LOL
    ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [224289] :: AMMONS' HEMPHILL RED ARROW