1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

NYC Faces A Possible Pit Bull Ban

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Suki, Dec 28, 2006.

1. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I normally think, when writing to politicians that one should be respectful and nice. However, when dealing with "the enemy" IE anyone who's made their mind up and intends to go after our dogs regardless of what you say to them reminding them of the cost is a good idea.

I urge everyone to also write (and be nice) the head of the NYC City Council who's address I listed earlier in this thread. SHE is more important in this fight than Valtone is. I doubt his colleagues will back a bill promoted by someone with the taint of scandle that they've heard a lot of intense opposition to.

Come on folks, lets make Mr. Valtone NYC's version of Oklahomas Wiselhoff(sp). His Pitbull ban was voted down in committee 22-1 with Wiselhoff casting the only vote for his bill.

Isolate and (politically) destroy Valtone.

2. Michele

Michele Guest

good post Suki......I was very very nice in my letter to Mr. Vallone. I did ask him what is going to happen when they try to ban his daughter's Bishon Frise....I will try to meet face to face with him if I see another article about this. Maybe I'll bring my friend's pit bull with me.....hehe...

3. DED_GAME

DED_GAME Pup

Ohh Sh1t, this fker live in my neighborhood. think i should pay him a visit? lol...actually I wont have to waste $.39 mailing him a letter. I think i'll personally drop it off, a new one every week!!!

4. DED_GAME

DED_GAME Pup

Hello, everyone. since I'm in close proximity to City Counsilman Peter Vallone. Can you help suggest any positive things I can do, I feel like I'm can represent this forum and be your voice, but not sure what I can do or say. The neighborhood we live in has alot of pitbulls and not all the owners here are responsible as I would like. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!!

ps. I'm a investment banker and work 60+ hrs/wk so keep that in mind. I would love to pitch a tent in his driveway and have a adba show in the street, but that is not possible!! lol. be reasonable. thanks

5. Suki

Suki Guest

DEDGame:

here's some strategies I saved from '04:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fighting Breed Specific Legislation (BSL)

Here are some sample media kits that you can look to if and when BSL affects your area. Take a good look at these packages, and call your local kennel club and breed clubs for contact names of others already involved. There are people who keep track of proposed legislation in most countries, and these should be the people you look to first when you decide to get involved. Remember: act strategically and don't re-invent the wheel!

How to Respond to a Dog Bit Incident in your Community
    Quite often BSL goes hand-in-hand with a bite incident in a community. This is an excellent media kit with statistics and guidance when something like this happens in your community. The most excellent advice on this page is: "Do not talk to any reporters until you have some information in front of you to work with." Be prepared, and you better your chances of successfully meeting your goals. There is also good advice about preventing this type of incident.

Sample Letters to Send to your Legislators
    Writing letters to your legislators, and encouraging others in your area to do the same, really does help. Here are some form letters that you can use to effectively present your position to politicians. Download one, fill it out, and send it to your legislator. Encourage others in your community to do the same. Remember that -- like it or not -- politicians are elected, and to be effective you need to speak to their political agendas and concerns.

California's Non-Breed Specific Dangerous Dog Laws
    There are better options than breed-specific laws, and this California law is one of the best. Have a look, and present it to your legislators as a better option to the BSL that they bylaw have proposed. Better yet, why not take proactive action before BSL comes to your area? There are many things you can do to help before there is a problem. According to Ann Lettis, who has had a longtime involvement in both fighting BSL and educating the public about dogs, the first thing you should do is find out what laws currently exist in your area. Once you have this information, review those laws and suggest positive, effective changes to politicians.
    You can pass on the following info, in regards to how specific organizations feel in terms of BSL (and BTW, the NY Supreme court is mentioned!)
    http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18535&highlight=breed+specific+legislation
    • AS an owner:
    you can ALWAYS, act responsibly and show it by properly restraining your dog, cleaning up after him/her, walk him/her with a "normal" lookin leash, and NOT those ridiculous, huge, retarded looking chains.:rolleyes: Muzzle when/if it's called for.
    You can make sure your dog does not jump on strangers, is utd on vaccines and is in general good health. Basically, show this breed in a positive light in a manner you view, that you feel best supports this. Only become a headline if it's positive press. PLEASE. :)
    And Thankyou for your efforts.[​IMG]

6. DED_GAME

DED_GAME Pup

Thanks Suki!!! Great Post, very helpfull. I'll see what I can do! Again thanks.

7. Suki

Suki Guest

n/p! and you're welcome!
    Ohhhh, SO with you in spirit!:)

8. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I'll throw this out to see what others on here think but I've had some ideas and have seen some suggestions that really strike me as good alternatives to BSL.

Everytime there is a bite it seems like some person is guilty of doing something stupid or irresponsable to bring about the conditions that allow a bite to occur. And the big factors in this seem to be 1. Allowing a dog to escape and run free and 2. Allowing the dog to be off-leash in a public setting. So, how about everytime a stray dog is picked up it is spayed/nutered with no questions asked, automaticly before being released to its owner. and a.......oh, say $500 fine. Same with leash law violations. The dog is spayed/nutered and a considerable fine and perhaps a night in jail for the owner. These large fines would both deter irresponsable dog owners and would provide enough money to the city to make real enforcement a priority to law enforcement. And it would be both fair and just. No one would be punished without first committing a misdeed of some sort. I'd bet that this would make the streets safer and it would address the real problem, irresponsable owners.

9. Michele

Michele Guest

now this would be great. I got this from my other forum:

Free Spay/Neuter for Pits or Pit/mix. We will pay YOU!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you know? One in every four dogs dying in our
    local shelter is a pit bull or pit bull mix.
    Fix-A-Bull is a free spay/neuter program offered by Peninsula
    Spay/Neuter Project for Pierce County pit bulls and pit mixes.
    Even better, PSNP will pay you $25 just for fixing your pit
    bull/mix, or $50 for fixing a litter of pit bull/mix pups!
    Spaying or neutering of other breeds - and cats - is still a bargain. Call for info.
    (253) 884-1543 or visit our website www.psnp.org

[​IMG]

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pet/255652984.html

10. Michele

Michele Guest

yea, i'm waiting a bit before I pay him a visit to his manhattan office. I want to see if there are anymore news articles about this first.