1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Nose Pigment Change

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Phillip, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Phillip

Phillip Pup

My puppy has had the same all black nose since I got him at 8 weeks. He is now 6 months old. Just this week I noticed that a small portion of his nose is turning pink.

For illustrative purposes I wipped up a quick photo and painted on it:

[​IMG]

The only thing that changed is his diet. Switched from TOTW to Orijen this week.

My question is - Can this type of pigment change be attributed to diet OR is it something else at work?

2. determination

determination Big Dog

did he scratch his nose on some thing

3. Phillip

Phillip Pup

Thanks ^^^^

He did go to town on this rawhide type toy the other day. This could be the reason. Forgive my "newbness" as I was unaware that a scratch could actually appear as if the pigment was removed. Now that I think about this it does make sense.

*punch to my head

4. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

looks kinda photo shoped to me

hope Im not overstepping

5. crazycooter

crazycooter Top Dog

^^^^^^^^^^^^^i was going to say the same thing^^^^^^^^^^^

6. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

not often i agree with Frank

7. Phillip

Phillip Pup

haha yeah I didn't have a real picture so I made one. Made the thread more fun.

8. Nose pigment can change with season.

9. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

HUH? my dogs noses are black no matter what time of year.

10. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

right

but it could be a butterfly nose or

could be a dudly nose

where it has two different pigments

normaly a black nose with pink patterns in it

11. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

Frank i was bein a smartass.

12. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

but the statment was still true

cause my dogs stay black 365 to

still had to give a serious reply

13. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Do noses ever lose pigment as they get older? I thought they always get more.

14. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

In situations like that, supplementing the dog's diet with seaweed and rubbing a little pure cocoa butter on the raw/pink spot have worked for me in the past. Yes, the dog will lick the cocoa butter, and the seaweed takes a couple of weeks to work, pigment wise, from the inside out, but, it does work for me and and such nose leather/pigment problems disappear relatively quickly. As always, moderation-you can turn a dog green if you overdo it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009
  15. fotte'

fotte' Pup

my Colby/Jeep had an almost all pink nose, as he got older the pink started to turn black by age 4 his nose was completely black :D