1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

new virginia law

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by grip, Mar 12, 2006.

1. grip

grip Pup

Exactly one year after an 82-year-old widow was mauled to death by three roaming pit bulls, the Virginia Senate on Wednesday unanimously passed bills imposing tough penalties on dog owners whose pets seriously injure others.

The bills, drafted in response to Dorothy Sullivan's death, make certain dog attacks that result in serious injury a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and a $2,500 fine. If a dog previously declared dangerous seriously injures a person, Virginia currently punishes it as a misdemeanor. The bills go to Gov. Timothy M. Kaine after a final vote in the House of Delegates, which approved them earlier.

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Does this bill specifically target a breed, or is it just a tougher Dangerous dog bill grip? Do you have anymore info on it.

3. CRG

CRG Top Dog

14 i live in va the law is towards all breeds not just APBT'S.

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

If it is not Breed specific-I am in favor of what I have heard. Tougher dangerous-dog laws are the way to go as opposed to bsl.

5. japangame

japangame Big Dog

I have to say that i believe it is an excellent bill if not breed specific. I lived in VA last year for about 2 years. This will help people become more responsable owners i hope.

6. circlekpits

circlekpits Guest

Yeah I agree it isnt just APBT's but against any dog who has been proven dangerous. I have a hard time trying to convince a few around me that is what the law is.

Are you having any problem CRG?

I mean people around where I am at know my dogs and know that they have never been in any human aggresive behaviour period and some still shy away.

7. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

From what I've read of it, great law. Whenever I write a anti-BSL letter I mention that this sort of tough, general law is the way to go. Maybe now people will start culling dogs that are obviously dangerous, of all breeds. It might make some of the "my dog makes me tough" crowd think twice too. Sure beats BSL, both for Pitbull owners and the saftey of the general public.

8. CRG

CRG Top Dog

No, i have not had any problems besides a few bad looks every once in awhile.

9. Chopper4me

Chopper4me Big Dog

I live in VA as well. this is the first I've heard of this, thanks for sharing!

10. jasong

jasong Big Dog

SAME HERE!! I'LL GO FOR THIS AS LONG AS IT'S NOT BREED SPECIFIC.

11. circlekpits

circlekpits Guest

here is a lilnk to the local which talks a little about the law.

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?

12. Judy

Judy CH Dog

Kaine backs bill on dog attacks
    It would increase the penalties on owners of dogs that injure, kill

BY MICHAEL HARDY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
    Saturday, April 8, 2006

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine has endorsed legislation that increases the punishment for reckless owners of dangerous dogs that seriously injure a person.

In response to a public outcry over dog attacks, the legislature recently passed measures to make it a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison, for such attacks.

In cases where a canine previously declared dangerous bites a person, the maximum penalty would be one year in jail, a $2,500 fine, or both. When such an animal injures or kills a cat or dog, the maximum penalty would be six months in jail, a $1,000 fine, or both.

"Escalating penalties are appropriate," the governor said yesterday in a meeting with reporters. "I think the bills struck the right balance . . . and I wanted to make sure the legislation was not driven by the heat of the moment."

He said that "common sense" by an owner or custodian of a dangerous dog should prevent severe injuries or deaths but that criminal sanctions are justified in cases of "gross negligence."

The legislation was driven by the mauling death of 82-year-old Dorothy Sullivan of Partlow, who, along with her small pet dog, Buttons, was killed by roaming pit bulls on March 8, 2005.

The legislation also creates a Virginia dangerous dog registry. Among other things, it requires the owner of an animal declared dangerous by a court to register within 45 days.

Kaine proposed only minor technical amendments to the measures passed by the General Assembly that ended its regular session March 11. The assembly, now in a special session because it failed to agree on a new state budget, is expected to agree with his changes when it reconvenes for a special veto session on April 19.

Kaine faces a deadline of midnight Monday to sign into law, amend or veto the hundreds of measures passed by the House and Senate. The legislature either can agree with his changes or attempt to override a veto by a two-thirds vote of each chamber.

"He has acted on the majority of them so far," said Delacey Skinner, his communications director.

Kaine was scheduled last night to go on a hiking and camping trip with his two sons -- Nat, 16, and Woody, 13 -- at Grayson Highlands State Park in Southwest Virginia. He and his boys, who are out of school on spring break, will return Tuesday night, a spokesman said.

The governor yesterday also signed a batch of bills intended to promote even greater efficiencies at the Virginia Department of Transportation and strengthen local authority over transportation and land use decisions.

One measure requires traffic impact studies when a developer or owner requests a rezoning of property. It would provide local planning officials information about the increased effects of a rezoning.

Additionally, the governor endorsed legislation permitting the transfer of development rights in a locality. It would allow landowners in conservation areas to trade their development rights to the property for parcels in developed areas.

Despite the continued legislative impasse over new funding for transportation, Kaine declared that the bills would reform policies in land-use and roadbuilding.
    Contact staff writer Michael Hardy at mhardy@timesdispatch.com or (804) 649-6810.

This story can be found at: http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137835226707&path=%21news&s=1045855934842

13. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I live in Va also. I heard about the lady being killed, but not about the law. There have been a couple of attacks on people in Va latley. My grandma calls me everytime she hears about one. She doesnt want to see a law or anything passed that would cause problems for me owning my dogs. Theres been a lot of strays running around my town here latley.As much as I would hate to admit it, Im waiting for the ban or restritions to come.

14. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

this is a good bill. i also live in Va. and have for all my life. i have seen the dangerous dog's image change from one breed to another (from dobi to rotty ect.) now allmost every time i get the daily press or tune in to the local news some DANGEROUS "PITBULL or PITBULLMIX" is the feature story.there are a lot of young folks out here that i see that are breeding "PITS" with no real respect or regard whatsoeva to the breed. this contributes to overpopulation and irresponsible ownership.i hate to see young kids on the street walking "PITS" trying to be hip and cool sad but its true, yet i remember when that was me before i found books that were written by real dogmen and begin to get informed about this breed. even though i was not privelledged to have some one to school me personaly reading was fundamental for me.this board and threads like this are Hope for those coming up.This BOARD helps new people get informed and educated on this breed verses the misinformation on the streets.Keep up the good work.the breed is in need.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2006
  15. lil_bit807

lil_bit807 Big Dog

I don't live in VA but I'm am in agreement with the bill as well. Hopefull it will help to alleviate some of the irresponsible owners and other problems occuring.