1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New STRATTON book, just released...

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Mikemorabito, Jul 10, 2012.

1. RRL

RRL Top Dog

Is it mostly new stuff that has not been seen though?Or alot of old stuff that was already in print?Is the table of contents available for viewing anywhere?

2. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

imo thats not saying much, i didnt care much for his others.

3. dayair1

dayair1 Big Dog

Really? I find Mr Stratton books to be very well written, and a good read.

4. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

theres better books out there imo

5. brindle

brindle Big Dog

But one has to respect Richard Stratton as his books have had the largest impact of any of the books written on this breed.

Stratton's books were done when there were very few books on the dogs. His books were published by a main stream publisher, so they were widely available. How many folks have read a Stratton book as their intro to the breed?

One cannot devalue his impact on the breed. Yet in many ways I rather wish he had not written his books as these dogs would not have become as popular to the wrong type of owners if the Stratton books were not in every pet shop from 1976 on when the first book was written.

They are out of print now because the publisher TFH pulled all of their pit bull books after that Michael Vick bust. The Stratton books give a good look at the breed history with many photos, and they are quite readable unlike some of the other bulldog books I have read over the years.

Before his books, the Pete Sparks reprints of early historical books were about all one could find. So Richard Stratton's works certainly have an important place.

And I have to admire the man, who is in his 80s, for putting out a new books after all these years.

I wish more of the old timers would write their stories as so much of the history of these dogs is passed along in oral form and not recorded.

6. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

Dick is the man for sure! Why dont all ya'll just give a try and buy his book? $59 is nothing really...

7. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i believe his argument that APBTs are the original bulldog just because some old paintings depict a "bulldog" that looks like a modern APBT is a bunch of horseshit. if youre gonna write a book about the breed and want to educate people properly, dont speculate... include things you know as fact.

8. brindle

brindle Big Dog

Lulu publishing has a new Coupon for 20% off, which saves you almost $12.00 on the new Stratton book.

The Coupon code is -- CITHARA20

The coupon is good until this Friday, Sept 7.

9. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

i believe his argument that APBTs are the original bulldog just because some old paintings depict a "bulldog" that looks like a modern APBT is a bunch of horseshit. if youre gonna write a book about the breed and want to educate people properly, dont speculate... include things you know as fact.

Stratton clearly states that the history of the APBT is especially 'dark and uncertain'. he admits that his opinion is only that, HIS opinion and even writes to tell his readers how he's been chastised through the years because of his beliefs. not in spite of. it's obvious, NO body knows for FACT what or who the original bulldog actually is. Stratton only goes to say, based on writings, carvings, woodcuts and yeah even paintings from other eras that depict dogs that not only fought, but strongly resembled both the look and agility of the APBT, their similarities can be 'readily seen'. with no absolute history on this breed, that's all ANY of us can do, regarding it, is to speculate.

10. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

LMFAO woody i throw away 3 of them books back in 04. big mistake that was because i got them from barns & nobel like 40 $ each.

11. Dont worry Im sure you and your back yard ,neighborhood click, buddies,will love it,I hear its got pop ups, and everything.

12. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

What I do find funny is Mr.Stratton stated years ago that their was too many books on the APBT,when Frank wrote one off his books.But I do enjoy his books and his writing skills.Like Brindle said more of the old timers should put out books.Imagine if Floyd put one out.

13. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

Dick is the man....we hope Mr.Boudreaux will finish his book too...ooooops :)