1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New spring pole?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by dragonpit, Mar 24, 2009.

1. dragonpit

dragonpit Big Dog

I have been using a regular ol rope on a tree for spring pollin till a friend brought over a tire and said try this and wow the dogs went crazy over it, alot more enthusiastic about it, so my Q is- will the tire wear out their teeth or is it fine? The tire is off a tractor it's small enough to get a good hold on.

2. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

from my experience yes it will. we learned that the hard way. had one helluva dog, then we let him chew on a tire as much as he liked. eventually he had nothing but nubs.:( we gave him a 4 wheeler tire. don't know how similar they are to tractor tires. that's just my experience though. i know if you get an inner tube of a bike tire and put it around a limb then tie a rope to it, that works pretty good.

3. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Well,I'm not sure what kind of tire you mean by tractor tire.If it's the front tire off a regular tractor,similar in size to a car tire. Or a small one like off a little lawn tractor[mower]I'd think a steel belted tire would be really bad,not for sure about just an old rubber tire.I probaly would use an inner tube like prpitdawg mentioned.

4. dragonpit

dragonpit Big Dog

Sorry about your dog ppd and thanks for the info, so rubber is fine as long as there is No steel in the tire, cuz I will just get the inner lube then.

5. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

i try to stay away from tires- and use either rope bones or better yet-cowhides....

[​IMG]

6. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

i don't let them actually chew on the inner tube. you put the inner tube on the tree limb, then tie a rope through it. they hang on the rope and it's good and springy. instead of just hanging a rope from a tree. trampouline springs work good, but aren't as cheap as an inner tube. i would imagine an inner tube would be pretty easy to chew through, but i don't know from personal experience b/c i don't let my dogs chew on it. i've had them chew through waterhoses, not on purpose, i wouldn't imagine an inner tube would last through bulldog teeth much better than a hose. hope this helps some.

7. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

All my dogs have their teeth worn down from chewing on tires, but honestly, I think it's less the rubber and more the fact that they get it all good and slobbery and then get dirt mixed in with the slobber. It's like friggin' sand paper. :rolleyes: They did really have a riot hanging off the tire swing though. lol

Like seriously.... gross.... lol

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  8. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

Garage door springs work well for hanging the rope. Just don't stand too near cause if the spring pops off, it hurts! I've heard fire hose is good too.

9. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Cowhides would be great,that's what my dogs chew on.I have a pretty steady supply of hides where I live,they're free for me so that's what I use.One benefit from being on a farm I guess.I've never used a tire before,I've always been afraid of wearing down their teeth.It's hard enough to keep teeth in a dog's mouth at the best.I've had a dog or two that would chew anything,foodbowls,rocks,doghouses.You name it and they'd chew on it. And it's really hard on their mouth.So I baby their teeth when I can.

10. dragonpit

dragonpit Big Dog

wooohw thats a lot of slobber! (a mini pool) thanks for the pic and the info guys. And rallyracer the tan and white one chewin the rope looks great, real athletic lookin and small- how I like them, any more pics of em?