1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New slats?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by ohpitbulls, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Caine25

Caine25 Pup

Does anyone know the true science or any theories behind the proper belt length? I've been messing with different lengths, and it seems to affect how freely the mill turns, but also other aspects as well. For example, the shorter the belt, the tighter it is, which makes it run real firm, but less free. But if the belt is too long, it runs fine, not as tight and firm, but also doesn't get as many free turns when I test it. For me it's all trial and error, but if anyone knows how to dial in the perfect length, please let us all know.

2. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Good stuff Caine I like the way you used the axle bearings . As far as belt sizing i would guess trial and error would be best . You have to consider a few things i guess like 2" steel wheels are faster than the skateboard wheels , the weight and material of the belt . I was looking at RpMillmakers old videos and his regular slatmill got like 6 turns but Killer spinner got 10-11 turns out of 1 push . The difference is i believe the belting material is different (Lighter) and it has steel wheels on the killer spinner . But you have to sacrifice noise for speed . J Chandler used to have 0.031 belts for his fast mill and 0.065 belt for his regular mill using 3/8 pine slats .

How much of a difference do the axle bearings make as far as smoothness and speed ?

3. roe1880

roe1880 Big Dog

GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..... Im almost done with this damn thing... I cant figure out how to keep the damn slats straight on the mill... does it align itself once all the slats are in place??? it keeps sliding left & right on me...... somebody, anybody.... HELP A BROTHER OUT....:confused::confused::confused:

4. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Are you using Split Go-Kart rims or Lawnmower type wheels ?

5. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

i tore my slats off of my mill and cut the belt to the other belt lenth put the slats on the belt and cut the middle of the belt out and mounted it and had the same problem.i have lawnmower wheels with wooden circle cut outs attached to the wheels to keep the slats straight.that is how it was before i tore it apart.the slats are now cocked to one side.will the split wheels keep the slats centered?is that why you asked what kind of wheels?pm me your phone # if you can help me.

6. roe1880

roe1880 Big Dog

i have 8 & 10 inch wheels, hand truck wheels... with the wood on the sides of the wheels...

7. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Hmm you could put a skate wheel on the sides as a guide wheel, find Ausapbt Mill build thread thats what he did . Are you main wheel aligned properly , if it is leaning to one side , then one side might be higher or lower than the other . Can You post a pic of the mill ?

8. roe1880

roe1880 Big Dog

wheels are perfectly alligned.. all machine tooled..it doesnt go just to one side, it rides back and forth from left to right and vise versa... imma add all the slats to see if that will work... i will post up my progress when im done... thanks all...

9. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

here you go

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35552

i found my slats moved slightly even with the guide wheels and my rubber belt was stretching abit so i attached ea slat together with a length of piano hinge and now no movement, no more stretching and the mill is going great

10. art

art Big Dog

h.o you post to be big time dog man y ask us ....lol

11. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

Bump any suggestions

12. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

your main large wheels on the front and back have to be exactly parallel...the easiest way to understand this is a belt sander ...it has a adjustment on the front to fine tune the rollers otherwise the belt will ride from one side to the other depending on which way the front roller is out.once it is parallel the belt stays central.

13. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

thanks reid i tried to adjust those but didn't have any luck and got frustrated.i had rods that went through the wheels that had a small collar with a screw that went through it but changed it for a threaded rod with nuts thought it would be easier to adjust.will get back on it tonight wish me luck.

14. united

united Banned

On any good belt the hole's have all got to be centered the exact same, the gap's have also got to be the same and when putting together you have to make sure that it's square. If you are impatient and are of even a touch when putting your belt together then it won't run true.

15. ngomalungundu

ngomalungundu Big Dog

I have an orginal belt froma lemm mill built in 1992. The belt is used and was run by many greats. I will sell the belt for $500. Cc

16. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

i think that is where i went wrong i put the slats on the belt outside on the ground and it wasn't level and i can see that all the slats are off some so i will tear all the slats off of the belt and salvage the bolts,washers and nuts and build a square box form out of 2x4".the front and back points of adjustments have 2 nuts each on the angle iron to adjust with the treaded rod going through them.

17. roe1880

roe1880 Big Dog

this shit is kicking my ass....ggggrrrrrr..... I measured the holes exactly on each rubber belt & started to put slats on & when i get to certain areas its off by a whole fu**ing inch... i assume it has stretched but wtf...??? how the hell will it not stretch when its running over time...

18. roe1880

roe1880 Big Dog

hey if anyone is interested in a trade for a carpet mill hit me up... or if youd just like to buy what I have then that's cool also... I have a Makita impact driver 18 volt cordless NEW in the hard case with 15 minute charger & 2 batteries Home Depot is selling for $220 im asking $150.. also Paslode framing nailer with case, but needs charger & battery... in HD they asking close to $400 im asking $200 if you buy battery & charger its $85, so if you buy the gun from me & the battery & charger from HD you save over $100... im willing to trade both for a carpet mill in working condition... (Grand Carpet Mill preferred)

P.s. also have a Bowflex Ultimate with all attachments (used) payed over $2k when new asking $600 or trade also....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  19. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

a mill that was picked up by someone in my area recently looks to have cut pool liner as a belt. thick, strong, flexiable, shouldnt streach....Im still looking at it but almost 100% sure its pool liner and its been on there for a long time supposedly and still looks great...

20. roe1880

roe1880 Big Dog

DAMN & my neighbor just redid his pool about 3 weeks ago...... CRAP what bad timing i have...