1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New Pit Mommy: Weary about 2yr old Duke's behavior

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by DukesMommy, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all. I am new to the Pitbull world as well as to this forum.

4 days ago I rescued an approximately 2 year old male Pitbull/Husky mix. He has already attached himself to me and does not let me out of his sight. I seem to have complete dominance over him. He waits to eat until I tell him too, exposes his stomach to me and lets me shove my hand in his mouth while he is eating. I have taken him to farmers markets, pet stores, hikes and he has been very friendly and calm with everyone he has come in contact with. He spent the past weekend with my brother (who is large and in his 20's) as well as many male cousins who are also big guys. He showed zero signs of nervousness and aggression with all of these males. He is great with my 2 year old son and niece. Shows some interest but not too much, and on the occasion that my son has fallen into him, he just gets up and moves out of the way.

I was thrilled to find such a loving boy, especially since I am hoping to start my career in Animal Assisted Therapy in the Fall. However, when Duke met my boyfriend the other night, he first showed signs of nervousness. Cowering and barking but with his tail wagging. The first night he seemed very weary of my boyfriend's presence, barking when he spoke, but never showed signs of aggression. By the end of the night he was able to lay down and be calm with my boyfriend speaking and in the room. The following morning however, when he saw my boyfriend leaving for work, his tail got stiff and the back of his hair stood straight up. Later that evening we took Duke for a walk, my boyfriend held the leash and treated him for good behavior, gently correcting when needed. We made it through 90% of the walk with no glitches and with Duke listening to my boyfriend very well.

Right before we got back to the house, my boyfriend said Dukes name and went to pet his head and Duke turned and snapped at him. We corrected the behavior but it happened a second time. I am not familiar enough with the dog to feel comfortable enough to trust him around my child now. We do not know what set him off, and I am nervous that the next time it happens that Duke will break skin. Does anyone have any possible insight into this behavior? I do not know his back story, I am attempting to get in contact with his foster family to ask them some questions. I know that it takes a couple weeks for a dog to get adjusted and totally be himself...I am just nervous that he may be an aggressive dog and not right for my family.

2. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

Oh man, dog is great with you and loves your kids and everyone else. But ONLY hates your boyfriend? Maybe your dog is trying to tell you something :eek:

3. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

First of all, you are not this dogs "mommy". That is the WRONG attitude to have with a Pit Bull, especially a mixed breed one.
    Secondly, do some reading on the breed so you understand the true potential of the dog. Thirdly, either your dog senses something about your boyfriend that you do not or he is having dominance/possession issues. I vote for the latter. I doubt your dog is a psychic, but a lot of Pit Bull mixes tend to have horrible dominance issues. He is fine with everyone besides your boyfriend because they do not pose a threat to his role as #2 in your little pack. This is why I really discourage the mixing of Pit Bulls with other breeds and the owning of Pit Bulls by people who really want some sort of Poopsy-Doodle. An ill-bred Pit Bull mix is not a Poopsy-Doodle. DO NOT treat it like one or you are asking for trouble. Do some research on canine dominance aggression and get this situation under control ASAP!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
  4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

ditto on benthere post. For whatever reason I am thinking he see you as the leader of the pack. Feels there is no threat from the kid(s) and then the boyfriend pops in as the #2. Your pack is his new pack and he is more than likely trying to fit in that #2 spot and sees the boyfriend as a threat to that spot.
    ditto the 'forget the mommy' stuff. It works if it is a six week old pup and the bond develops there over time. Introduced at 2 years old you must be the leader at all times, and the boyfriend will have to so as well. Consistency is the key as a mixed signal will open the door for a negative response from the dog.
    And again, extreme caution and care around the kids. The dog is two years old and most 'rescues' do not come from ideal situations. There are tons of wonderful rescue stories and hopefully this is another, but four days is not enough to completely know the dog or what the dog will do in given situations. Best of luck. S

5. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

First of all you've only had the dog for 4 days. The dog needs to bond with you and your family. Second, your BF needs to have proper etiquette with the dog specially since the dog is brand new to the household. Your BF should let the dog sniff him and approach before he attempts to pet the dog. Maybe your BF's body language or approach makes the dog feel threatened. I truly hope you are dealing with a mix and not a blue eyed bully that the shelter labeled as a Husky mix because of its eye color. Stay away from dog parks, use a crate and let the dog earn his place at home. It shouldn't be babied or allowed to disrespect any of the family members. At the same token, you need to provide the dog exercise and a mental outlet so the dog can get rid of its anxiety and pent up energy.

6. capo

capo Big Dog

get rid of that mutt

7. Bones1

Bones1 Big Dog

Let your BF feed the dog and see how it goes from there

8. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

U were walking the dog while it was dark. Maybe u should test that dogs vision at night.

9. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

Your boy-friend is a threat to his place in your house...another thing ya don't leave any dog alone with kid's..give him time he may settle...i' guess your boy-friend don't live with ya's that's the other reason he won't accept him while in your home possible/???.....please remember this is a dog,not another person..as above do some reading up on dogs/etc/etc...this mite be easly solved.....he may see your boy-friend as a threat to you...and being protective...who know's.....????????????????????????????????

10. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Have you ever heard of the two week shutdown? It is pretty much standard procedure when you bring a new dog (pup or adult) into a household. During this 2 weeks the dog is crated and and doesnt have any interraction with anyone unless to eat or empty out (i would feed him in the crate during this time also) which helps him get comfortable and learns who has what role in the house. No playing or petting or any kind of affection during this time, he will have to earn it and he will in time. Adopting is a big change for any dog and you want take it easy on him and let him get adjusted to his sorrounding. Sometimes it takes much longer but he will
    learn his place. I seriously advise you that you get a start on this ASAP for you and your boyfriend's sake.

11. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

Keep him out-side in a kennel run....when he comes in the house he knows he is the guest in your kennel...?????

12. PIMP

PIMP Pup

Adopting a large-breed dog whose background you don't know is always precarious. Moreso if you have smill children. Add to that a dog whose genes are unkown and of mixed breeding and you have a big problem in that you just don't know what's in that dog's head psychologically and genetically. To me this is a dangerous situation for the child and I wouldn't allow it in my home.

13. sega

sega Big Dog

A dog biting yr bf should not be tolerated, now this imo but if he snapped at me I'd prolly grab him in a head lock n chock his ass out or kick em in the head immediately but I woulbnt let him get away with that shit

14. Garfield

Garfield Banned

if youre going to be the mommy that you are to your dog, be sure to be a strict mother that doesn't take any crap from her kid. lol my mom never cut me slack haha I turned out alright

15. amistad

amistad Big Dog

If you don't feel comfortable with the dog around your child go with your gut feeling, why wait until something bad happens and then say i had a bad feeling about him. You owe the dog nothing take it back and rescue a pup it's not like your going to hurt his feelings, better safe than sorry.

16. Fucker hasn't been back since they made the thread.

They obviously aren't too damn worried about it.

CLOSED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.