1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

new on here with a few questions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by NOTK, Sep 29, 2007.

1. NOTK

NOTK Banned

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

got this guy 3weeks ago got him on eukanuba large breed puppy and then their canned puppy food mixed in i was reading it wsnt that great and was wondering what u guys though would reccomend also i was wondering how to get him used to the flirt pole and any other tips on just good excersise for him.
    hes gonna be 4months on 10/7/07 and weighs 37lbs

2. Michele

Michele Guest

As far as food goes, Innova, Innova EVO or Timberwolf:)

3. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Right now, he is a bit young for the flirtpole...For now since he is young, walking him is your best exercise.

4. Welcome to the site...
    American Pitbull Terriers are medium breed dogs, and usually don't do well on "large breed" formulas. That is the first change that I think you should consider. There is a lot of research that can be done on quality kibble...just don't choose one specific for large breeds. Also, how much are you feeding him daily?

5. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

cute dog. timberwolf works good, but anything that doesn't have too much grain in it and NO bone meal. try NuVet. i reccomend it to everyone who gets a dog from me. it's a really well balanced supplement for dogs. it will help build up muscle and provide basic vitamins and minerals. and if you want to get your dog interested in a spring pole, try and find some coon urine. i would consider this slightly controversial because it can lead to premature animal aggression. i say premature because it is likely going to happen at some point, although not always. but the coon urine will get their attention right away.the trick is turning their curiousity into more focused energy to where they learn to enjoy playing on the spring pole. best of luck to you.

6. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

i agree with michele on the food..i would wait a couple more months by then he will have lost his baby teeth..fall out around 5 months..as far as flirt poles start low to the ground ,play tug of war but let him win..takes time and alot of work before you see him flying and hanging;) ..nice looking pup and welcome aboard..

7. Michele

Michele Guest

:eek: they sell this stuff?

8. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

lol, yeah at most outdoor sporting goods stores, like bass pro shops and cabelas. smells absolutely God awful though. works for dogs so i think about something else while i'm applying it. :)

9. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

mostly likely. you can buy deer urine as well.

10. Michele

Michele Guest

Also, I think Boi-Boi was explaining this to me. Innova has 20% protein and Innova EVO has 40% protein. So, for a working dog, I would go with the EVO.

11. jr Pit Guy

jr Pit Guy Big Dog

As far as food brands go, everyone has their opinion. Try to stay away from foods with alot of by-products, corn on the first five ingredients, I know someone will chime in and post the thread that explains the whole breakdown, but I can't seem to find it. I personally have never liked Eukanuba. Royal Canin, Black Gold, Canidae, Timberwolf, and others would be a better choice.

Wow, either you got a big pup, or you are short. Cut back on the feeding, or switch to something different, he looks a little overfed. Otherwise, he looks healthy. How's he bred?

At four months, you don't want to use the flirt pole or spring pole, it may cause damage to the teeth and/or neck. I suggest a good daily walk and possibly some swimming if he's willing. At that age, just let him grow and have fun. Socialize him as much as you can now, or you'll wish you had later.

Welcome to the site!

12. IMO flirtpole is ok for pups. Just remember that it is not a conditioning tool for a pup that young. By that I mean use for a few minutes as a outlet for prey drive, but don't over do it. Keep it on the ground, and let him chase it. Eventually, you will see that alot of the members will advocate using animal hide to "up" the dogs interest. Like I said, it is an outlet for prey drive, and either the dog will have it, or they won't. I started my puppy with an old white sock tied to the end of an old fishing rod, and he chased it from day one. Other dogs aren;t interested in the least bit. Eventually, when he gets older flirtpole exercise is great for improving his front end. All of the changing direction really tones up the shoulders. At that time be sure to do it on soft surfaces (grass) or you can damge his foot pads. Like Diva said though...hand walking is the best thing you can do for him now (coupled with the right amount of good food)! Walking is a great way to bond with your pet, and teaching him to walk on a loose leash will prove invaluable when he gets stronger than you!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2007
  13. jr Pit Guy

jr Pit Guy Big Dog

14. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

When Innova Evo has been fed to dogs for 10yrs, then we'll be able to get the real answer as to wether or not the astronimical amount of protein took it's toll on kidneys.

I wouldnt consider giving it to a pup, regular Innova puppy is just fine

and Canidae is the best priced of the higher quality kibbles

BoogiemanBlood likes this.
  15. NOTK

NOTK Banned

i feed him usually 3-4times a day maybe two handfulls of the kibble and two spoons of the wet food thinks hes just a big guy cuz im 6'2 his father was a gotti and the mother looked like a reg red nose witha brownish coat saw the grandma too she looked the same

sire is PR Riveras Yankee
    dam PR Rodgriguez cookie

lady said the dad was 125 pounds with a 24inch head

16. jr Pit Guy

jr Pit Guy Big Dog

No comment. Stick around and learn, good luck.

17. EDOGZ818

EDOGZ818 Big Dog

Personally, I like Costco food. Kirkland brand. High Performance brand. Purple Bag. Its about as good as DIAMOND food , and cost under $20 for 40lbs. It works good for me. Definately better than PEDIGREE, and cost the same. I'm sure its not as good as Eukanuba , but its good enough for me.

18. You may be over feeding him. (Once you get him off of "large breed" formula) Use a measuring cup, and give him what's recommended on the bag to start with. It's ok to feed him by hand, but make sure it's not an arbitrary amount like "two handfuls." If it recomends 2 cups daily...hand feed him from that measured amount. The dog food bag usually will describe ehat a dog of ideal weight will look like. You should be able to see a waistline when looking down at him. You shouldn't be able to see his ribs, but you should easily feel them, etc.

Bigger is not necessarily better with the American Pitbull Terrier. There are alot of problems that overweight dogs suffer from. An 125 APBT is not somwthing to strive for, in fact...if your dog is fed properly, and conditioned he probably will not approach that as an adult. He should have a large dogs strenght in a medium package.

For an APBT Strive for this look:
    [​IMG]

The Gotti, and similiar lines actually constitute an entirely different breed...the American Bully.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2007
  19. hey not that i disagree with this, as we just don't know yet, that is a good point.....BUT....there is 24% fat in innova evo also, and obviously other quality ingredients. key is to feeding the correct amount of this food. if you switch from a lesser food, obviously you don't need to feed as much as this. IMO

edit: oh and no way would i feed innova evo to a puppy of any age. ;)