1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New member, 10 day old puppy

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by R0mmel, Dec 7, 2005.

1. R0mmel

R0mmel Pup

Hello, this is my first post, and I just wanted to show you my new puppy about 10 days old. He was born on Thanksgiving and sadly his mama passed away that night after giving birth to a litter of 7. He's a mix of blue nose and red nose. Not exactly sure what that means.

Ive had him now for a few days, and Ive been nursing him with Esbilac a product I found at Petsmart. So far he's been eating about 3-4 times a day, and sleeps all the time.

I want him to be as healthy and strong as possible, so any advice would be gladly taken. I don't know exactly when to give him real food or if there is a better formula out there or something.

Here's a pic of the little guy.

Attached Files:

2. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I like feeding the babies goats milk, you can get this fresh at the store or in the baking isle where the canned milk is, the can needs to be diluted. I would put him on a heating pad, set to low. Make sure his body feels warm, I would certainly feed him every 4 hours around the clock, even in the middle of the night. They can crash very fast,(drop in blood sugar). I would even consider tube feeding him, The vet can show you how. Have you taken him to a vet? that needs to be the first order of business.

3. SisMorphine

SisMorphine Big Dog

Where are his brothers and sisters? Even though his mother died he still should be with them in his early weeks, while he is nursing (or in this case, being fed the milk replacement).

4. R0mmel

R0mmel Pup

Thanks for the replies, no i haven't taken him to the vet yet. Im planning on doing that when hes about 2 weeks old or so. Should I take him now? He seems healthy. He's really vibrant and energetic once awake, and crashes quickly after being fed. He loves to eat, and he pisses and poops consistently also.

THere really is no way to keep him with his brothers and sisters right now. The owner of the bitch/pups, is finding them new homes as he can. This is the only way it will work right now. I generally keep him wrapped up in a pocket in my hooded sweatshirt, or let him cuddle with me when im sleeping. So, he's always warm and clean.

5. natas

natas Big Dog

That's so sad about the mom. Good luck with him he's adorable!!

6. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

before ne one else gets their teeth in you lol. red nose and blue nose are just colors of dogs nothing more than that. read a lil youll understand real quick what ppl are talking about. like they said keep him fed and take him to the vet they may notice something you wont such as worms etc.

7. Defend2DaEnd

Defend2DaEnd CH Dog

Ok since I am in the same situation but with six instead of one. I got to say you need to weigh him before you feed him that way you know how much he needs. You need to keep his body temperature up. Take his temperature about once or twice a day rectally.

8. RIVES PITS

RIVES PITS Top Dog

Not That It Matters But Is He Registered?

9. R0mmel

R0mmel Pup

Yea, ive really been working on keeping him warm. Right now hes passed out on my couch wrapped in a fleece blanket with 2 quilts around that blanket. I can tell when he's cold because he'll try and bury his nose between something warmer like my neck or armpit, and he'll cry a bit. But once he finds his spot hes out like a light.

I haven't registered him. Should it be done?

10. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Top Dog

He is an adorable baby. I know what it's like to take care of one that little. I had a little female pup that I bottle fed from that small. Good luck with the pup :)

11. R0mmel

R0mmel Pup

Does anyone know if since my puppy can't/won't be with his mama or siblings, will he grow up any different or be socialized any differently?

12. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Top Dog

The major difference is that the puppy will be attached to you. I didn't see a difference in my puppy but some people may think different.

13. Suki

Suki Guest

First of all, "Welcome" to the forum.:) I hope you enjoy your stay!

here is some quick info/reference for feeding pups, but as mentioned, a check up should be his first priority. He could have things not visible to the human eye, i.e., internal parasites, passed on, from mom, that may need to be treated.
    Tx for sharing the pic. He is adorable, and I wish you luck with him.
    As far as the lack of "littermates", his role amongst them will not be defined, hence, he'll count on you for his socialization. It's hard to detirmine the actual outcome. Bring a list of questions to your doc, and have them all answered before you leave. He/she should address any and all concerns that you may have. Congrats on the new babe, and sorry to hear about Mama!. LOTS of luck with him!:D

Hand Feeding Newborn Puppies
    Newborn puppies must be hand fed if their mother is either unable or
    unwilling to nurse them. Cow’s milk is a poor substitute for ’s milk, which is more concentrated and has twice the level of protein, almost double the calories and more than twice the calcium and phosporus content. For feeding puppies, a commercial puppy formula is recommended; carefully follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the feeding process.

On the average, the following guidelines will indicate how many calories a newborn puppy is required per day. A puppy may require one-quarter more or less than these guidelines, depending upon its individual needs.

First Week: 60 to 70 calories per pound of body weight, per day.
    Second Week: 70 to 80 calories per pound of body weight, per day.
    Third Week: 80 to 90 calories per pound of body weight, per day.
    Fourth Week: 90-plus calories per pound of body weight, per day.

As an example, let us take into consideration of an average-sized, seven-day-old, 10-ounce puppy. This puppy would need sixty calories times two-thirds of a pound, which is equivalent to forty calories a day. If the commercial puppy formula supplies thirty calories per ounce, the puppy would need approximately 1.5 ounces of formula per day. Always remember that puppies grow at a very rapid rate, so make sure you weigh them every day before you start calculating how much to feed them.

You may need to start with slightly less formula at each feeding and gradually increase the amount as the puppy responds favourably to each feeding and gradually increase the amount as the puppy responds favourably to hand feeding. When steady weight develops, immediately reduce the puppy's intake to half the amount previously fed, then gradually increase it again to the recommended level. Diarrhoea in newborn puppies can be very dangerous, so it is always wise to consult a veterinarian for advice and queries.

Never prepare more formula than is required for any one day, because milk is a wonderful medium for bacterial growth. Furthermore, it is essential to maintain clean and sanitary conditions at all times. Divide the formula into the correct proportions for each feeding and keep it refrigerated. Before feeding, warm the formula to about one hundred degrees Farenheit or near body temperature. Using a bottle and nipple, hold the bottle at an angle to prevent the release of air bubbles. The hole in the nipple can be enlarged slightly with a hot needle to let the milk ooze out slowly when the bottle is inverted. The puppy should vigorously, but it should not be nursed too rapidly. Consult a veterinarian immediately for help if the puppies are not nursing well. During unforeseen circumstances, you may need to resort to tube feeding, which is best taught by a health professional.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

14. R0mmel

R0mmel Pup

Ive been giving my puppy epsbilac milk replacer from petco since he was born, but i just ran out today. Petco is far away, so instead I bought a quart of goats milk from Safeway and I was wondering if its ok to switch?

Will he have some stomach problems like diarrhea or something from the switch?

Also, how long will he be bottle feeding? 3, 4, 5 weeks!?

15. he may have runny stool since his digestive system is young... its best not 2 switch and better to stay consistent but when push comes to shove you have to do what you have to do... since he'll now b on goats milk keep him on it... and he should be fed milk til he's about 5 weeks... by then you can start weaning him

16. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Generally, one can begin to wean a nursing puppy at 4-5 weeks old. At this time, still give milk regulary, but start to put it in a shallow dish for him to lap it up. Still use the bottle at this point, just not all the time.

Get a HIGH QUALITY dry food, I used Canidae for this, and let it soak in the liquid formula/goats milk until it's totally soggy. Then run it through a food processor. Give the pup this 'slop' in a shallow dish and allow him to lap it up.

By 7-8 weeks, the pup shouldn't need to be nursing a whole lot. Continue to give him the slop, but use water instead of the formula to soak it in.

As his teeth develop, you can start soaking the mixure for less time, but don't stop comepletely! My pup didn't start eating completely dry food until he was 14-15 weeks old, but he was a late bloomer.

I'd take him to the vet ASAP, as puppies that young always seem to have something going on.

Good luck, you've got a beautiful pup!

17. R0mmel

R0mmel Pup

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help.

Here's a brief update on Rommel.

He is now 28 days old, and he's been converted to goats milk ever since day 14 or so. Let me say that the goats milk seems much better than the Esbilac milk replacer. Because, well his shit doesn't stink nearly as bad and his fur smells better, and he's just softer in general. Not to mention its like 3 times cheaper.

I feel like he is doing really well. He eats about 100mg of goats milk on each feeding, and he seems healthy.

Here's some pics, he's been a joy ever since I took him home.

Attached Files:

18. R0mmel

R0mmel Pup

btw, does anyone have an idea what bloodline he may be?

19. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

...could be anything. It's impossible to tell without a pedigree. Nice looking little pup though. Good work bringing him along.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2005
  20. B

B CH Dog

Good luck with your pup. He sure looks healthy in the pictures so you must really be on top of it and doing a good job. Careful taking him to the vet until you can start his vaccines. The vet office is an EASY place to pickup all sorts of bad germs and diseases. Keep up the good work and keep us updated. You can't tell anything but I can tell you that dog is going to have a crazy attachment to you and a bond that will be difficult to be broken.

Regards,

B