1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New from St. Louis with 3 pits!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lovefor3pits, Oct 6, 2007.

1. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Welcome to the site lovefor3pits!

I'm going to tell you something right now & I know you're not going to like some of what I say. But please hear me out if you would.

- There are a lot of opinionated ppl here. I can be one of them. But we only are that way because we love the breed. It's nothing against you or your dogs, so please do not take anything anyone says that way.

That being said ...

- I do not know if you know this, but many Razor's Edge dogs are NOT purebred pit bulls. In fact, there is a petition circulating right now in the UKC to have the registration of many Razor's Edge dogs pulled.

Most modern RE dogs are actually a breed of dog called the "American Bully." The American Bully is the result of crossing American Pit Bull Terriers (APBTs), American Staffordshire Terriers (ASTs) & English Bulldogs.

If you want to read more about RE dogs, just use the search feature on this site & you can pull up tons of discussions about them.

- There is no RE dog who is an "Ace." Ace is a weight pull title given by the ADBA to their weight pull champions & to my knowledge, no RE dogs have yet earned the title of Ace.

- The CH or GR.CH. you refer to in your RE dogs are show titles from the UKC back when Dave still had purebred dogs.

- Please shelve your breeding plans. I say this becuase a breeder should only breed to better the breed & your breedings will not do that. IMO a nice trip around the Pit Bull Rescue Central website (http://www.pbrc.net/) for you & your friends would be good. It will literally take you hours upon hours to view all the APBTs who are currently looking for homes right now. They come in all ages, shapes, sizes & colors - even blue. In fact, there are a LOT of blues there. All are great pets & most are there b/c Owner X wanted to breed their dogs b/c their dogs are so great.

- Furthermore, you do not know the lineage on your dogs. What if grandpappy to one of your dogs was a man-eater? Or grandmammy had hip dysplasia? It's hard enough to put out quality dogs when you know what you're working with. How do you expect to succeed when you DON'T know what you're working with? A dog is not just a dog. You have to consider it's genetic background too.

- And speaking of which, do you know you're responsible for the dogs you sell? If one bites a kid YOU can be sued & if one comes down w/ a genetic defect, YOU may be responsible for refunding the buyer their money & you may perhaps have to keep the ill dog (& it's vet bills) the rest of it's life. Not fun.

- But you're giving some to friends? OK, are you prepared to lose them? Your friends I mean? I can tell you right now, nothing will break a friendship up quicker then a dog. Folks you thought were friends 'til the end will turn on you in a minute the moment the dog the got from you becomes mean, becomes ill or they're just otherwise unhappy with it, even if THEY were the ones that made the dog that way. It will automatically be your fault, no matter what.

Well, I would type more, but I have to go. I hope you honestly & truly consider these points I've given you. If you have any questions, feel free to post, or PM me if you wish.

And again, welcome to the site! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  2. hrdeluxe

hrdeluxe Big Dog

Welcome to the site. Please stay and learn as much as you can.

Too many people breed dogs because they are "nice". Like previously stated, we have a huge overpopulation that doesn't need to be increased with frivolous breeding.

You mentioned that your dogs "scare the crap outta people" until you get to know them. IMHO, we don't need our dogs to be scareing the crap out of any person. This only contributes to the negative image APBT's are facing.

3. Michele

Michele Guest

Welcome to the forum. I have to add my opinion here. These are your dogs, yes, i'm not disputing that fact. And yes, you are the #1 decider as to whether or not you want to breed your dogs. What I will tell you is as far as this breed goes, you don't need to predict the future to see right now, that this breed is in trouble. Why would you, if you love this breed so much, want to contribute to the problem? Go take a walk to a shelter and count how many pit bulls are there, waiting to die. Like I have always said, if you are not breeding to better/preserve this breed, you have no business breeding. And one more thing, I wouldn't be proud of the fact that they scare the crap out of people. That's not something that I would be bragging about.

4. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

lol poor person. Just wanted to come on the site to join a community that loves there dogs as much as they do. already been beaten.

5. diva

diva CH Dog

Welcome to the site! You have pretty dogs and I am sure they are wonderful pets for you.
    It appears the flaming has already began because you said the "b" word (breeding). Please do not get discouraged about the site. There is some very useful information. Some posters are very friendly and will help you instead of slamming you every chance they get. So, please stick around. :)

6. Galadriel

Galadriel Pup

It's hard to get into this topic without coming off as judgmental. Yes, the APBT is facing serious hardships due to over breeding. Your friends and family can go to nearly any shelter and find a dof just as wonderful as the ones you have, no question. The integrity of the breed is compromised every time someone breedes because they like their dog's color, or they're really sweet, or friends and family want one, or you like the way they look, or you love them so much you just want to keep them in your family...the list goes on. Breeding for any of these reasons takes away the inherant qualities that make the breed what it is because you're NOT breeding for what makes an APBT an APBT.
    There's another very serious side to this coin. The ongoing health of your beloved pets. Spaying a female reduces her change of developing uteran and mammory cancer by as much as 75%. Every time she goes into heat, her chances of developing these cancers GOES UP. Males are more likely to develop testicular cancer and prostate problems by the same percentage. For every year that passes with a male intact, the more likely he is to die at a young age. If you love your pets and want to keep them in your family, get them fixed! You can have them for 12-15 healthy years, or you can have their puppies, who may or may not be the sweet, loving dogs their parents are. Seems like a pretty obvious choice to me.
    (please forgive the multiple spelling errors. Busy day at work =)

7. Phebes

Phebes Guest

Absolutely great post!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Thank you Phebes. I wish more ppl knew about the plight of the hundreds - if not thousands - of awesome APBTs in shelters & rescues looking for homes before they bred their "great" pet-quality dogs.

And Michelle, great point you made. NO ONE should be proud that their dogs "scare the crap outta people" nor should they use them to do so. In fact, I would be ashamed of that.

Finally, to those who think lovefor3 is being "flamed" please remember, sometimes the truth hurts. I don't think anyone is saying what they are to "flame" lovefor3. They just care about the breed & are telling lovefor3 the truth.

If telling someone the truth is flaming, I guess lovefor3 got flamed. But I do not consider telling anyone the truth flaming. I always thought flaming was a bunch of ppl ragging on a person out of meanness, not a bunch of ppl getting together trying to educate someone.

JMHO ...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007