1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Need Some Advice!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bullydogs, Nov 25, 2007.

1. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Today, could possibly be one of the worst days of my life. Me and girlfriend have been together for 6yrs...and today she decides that she wants to move on. Not only is this hard on the heart, but complicates matters regarding the dogs that we co-own. We were all living together, until one day the landloard goes to renew the home owners insurance...and then tells us that we cant keep the dogs there anymore. So three months ago she has to go back home with her parents and take the dogs...until we save up for house. These 3 months have been difficult, sneeking the dogs in my apartment whenever possible.

Soon she will be goin to law school, and i am so confused what to do with our dogs. I dont want to break the dogs up, however, we are both very attached to the dogs. I have no clue what to do, i cant imagine not being able to see all my dogs whenever i want. These dogs are my life, they bring me so much joy, they make my life so much easier. I mean i lost the girl i planned on spending the rest of my life with, and now i am also faced with losing a dog or dogs that i dearly love.

Any advice or feedback would be helpful, sorry for bringing this up on a bulldog forum...but i have to vent.

2. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

It's a hard situation. But you have to always look at what's best for the dogs, even though ideally you'd like them to be with you all the time. Sneaking in and out of an apartment though is certainly not anyway to live.
    Let the dogs stay with the ex's parents for the time being. I know you need them now, but trust me they need you to do what's best for them more. Draft up a contract stating this arrangement is temporary and once you find somewhere to live that is BULLDOG FRIENDLY then permanent arrangements will be discussed and all custody issues will be resolved. Have all parties and a couple witnesses sign this contract.

Sorry about your tough times, things will get better :)

3. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Man I am sorry to here about that. Is that you guys son on your pic? If it is that is devistating I hope it is not. As far as that dog is concerned I would TAKE it. Dont sit around trying to negociate. Do what you have to do. Dont sit around and be totally ass out. TAKE EM

4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Take 'em where? He already stated he doesn't have anywhere to keep them.

As for keeping them at the exes, I would forget that. I had a couple keep one of my dogs once when I was TDY & even though we had a contract, I still had to go get the police to get my dog. They didn't want to give him back to me b/c they had "become attached."

As much as it hurts, just let her have all the dogs & when you get a place that you can have bulldogs, buy yourself a few more. Yeah, it's gonna hurt like hell to let her have them, but you'll get over it & nothing puts salve on a wound like a new puppy.

(BTW - this is why I don't co-own!)

5. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

ABK take em just meant maybe have the dog in his possesion. Like maybe with a family member ( mom, friend etc). You've been sneaking the dogs in and out the house you might have to keep on doing that til your lease is up. I am sorry you are going thru that but you have to be the dominant one if you want to keep those dogs. If she is going to law school, she might not have the time for looking after the dogs doesn't matter how much she like them. I know that because my wife is in the middle of working on her Phd. and she is often buried in books and the computer. Good Luck Bro.

Co own is not going to work if she can just up and leave then IMO she might be mad at cha bro. Take your dog and wish her good luck..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  6. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

I don't know why, but this approach would make me paranoid. Not only would you have to worry about a landlord, but neighbors who might have just read about the HSUS $5000 reward for reporting "dogfighting activity". Sneaking bulldogs in and out of an apartment is exactly what HSUS tells people to look for. Even though you are legit and just sneaking in your companions, you know darn well cops take the dogs first as evidence...even if there isn't anything else supporting the claim. I just don't think it's fair to the animal to put them at any risk- even if it's just a small one. Another headline isn't exactly what we need, either. JMHO.

7. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Thanks for all the advice, i am gonna try to convince the landlord to consider letting a dog stay with me. God willing, she will allow it. Even if she does...it still sucks that i have to split up the dogs. I hate doing that to them. However, i just dont have the strength to give them all up. Regardless, we will being drawing up a contract. I still wanna see the ones that i dont keep.

Black, thats my nephew, like my son tho. I let him handle some dogs at some dog shows last year and he kicked butt. Now he is hooked, a future dogman.

Well all this stuff hurts like crazy, but i guess its part of life. Time to focus all my energy on improving my own life. Hopefully, the landlord will understand. Because getting out there conditioning the dogs really makes me forget about the stresses of life. Thanks so much

8. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

either try to find a kennel that will let you rent space or pay your landlord with the money you wouldve spent renting the space.

9. Triple_S

Triple_S Pup

10. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

i had to kennel my dog for a month and immediately after i picked him up i brought him to the vet where they removed 13 ticks from his body and i had to buy 2 different kinds of medication and shampoos for some skin thing he got. when i went back to the kennel to get money for his vet bills the owner came out with a shot gun, i didnt back down and he went inside got $300 gave it to me. i was pissed because he only gave me half also he threatened to shoot me if i came back...

my advice is do your research before you place your dog with someone else and check up on him everyday. see if you can feed him and clean the kennel yourself to save money.

11. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Thanks guys i appreciate the advice. Not to sure about renting kennel space, would rather keep them with my ex....if it came to that. But i can understand doing it, with no other option. Ewww ticks, yeah i would have been pissed too. But hey, at the end of the day the dogs was back in your posession.

12. rocco

rocco Big Dog

Sorry to hear about your situation man! If we where close I would keep your dogs for you for free, all I would ask is you provide the feed. I do that here where I am for a few Marines in my area when they are out of town or in the field. I have a couple and room for a few more. Me personally i would take my dog(s). Try to sweet talk that landlady if you can. :(

13. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Fotget sweet talk. Try a few extra greenbacks in the rent envelope per month.

14. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I don't have any advice...But I did want to say, that I am sorry to hear this. I can't image what I would do if my boyfriend decided it was time to "move on"...Anyway, Sorry about all this, and just know time will heal your heart.

15. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Yeah, its really tough. Devoted several years to this girl. We had our ups and downs like everybody does. Its gonna be difficult not seeing the person that I have spend soo much time with. We were best friends, she was always there for me. The dog complications only make matters worst. We were both very much into the dogs, i know how much they mean to her, and how much she means to them. We have no kids, but god knows our dogs were as close as you can get. I really hope that every thing works out for the best. If time does truly heal the heart, then i want to jump in a time machine.

The landlady is considering letting me keep one of the dogs. No extra greenbacks will be needed.

16. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Trust me, your heart will heal. It always does. IF you let it ;)

17. Michele

Michele Guest

What you could also do is let the ex-parents keep them until you get a place that allows the dogs. BUT, draw up a contract which states that the ex-parents are only keeping them until you find a place. You will pay for all the dog's expenses, etc. Have them sign it and then have it notarized.

18. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

i can feel you, I just went thru a similar situation. I had to get rid of 12 dogs tho.