1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with clipping

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by Doggystyle, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

I am going to stop taking my girl to the local pet store for nail clips. I know about the vessel that could cause injury. Her nails are very dark and I see the pink part in them, but I get scared when she freaks out when I get to a certain length. How short can most dogs nails be clipped? Pics would be helpful in this case.

*If there is a thread on this, please point me in that direction*

2. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

I have tile floors in my house, so the room of thumb is: If I can hear "click-click-click" when the dogs walk, it's time to trim.

I've had best results using a dremmel instead of regular nailclippers. It sands the nail down, so to speak. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures. However, the noise can startle some dogs, so traditional clippers may still be needed.

3. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

I have those scissor type nail clippers and they seem ok so far. I also file them with a fine and coarse grade nail filer. About what length is the shortest nails can be?

4. PitBull

PitBull Pup

I walk mine quite often. They like to pull quite a bit and it seems to keep thier nails short. Thats not a bad thing is it?

5. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Doggystyle, I'm not sure, but I'd stop it a bit before the quick.

And PitBull, walking on hard surfaces is good, it helps to file down the nails naturally.

6. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

yes walkin the dog on a lil pavement for a lil bit doesnt hurt....

7. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

Yeah that's what it's called the "quick", couldn't remember. I know to stop before that, but since I can't see it on my girls dark nails too well, I just wanted to know how short is short enough?

8. japangame

japangame Big Dog

No that is good. I walk the dogs so often that I have never had to clip there nails. ;)

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Black nails can be difficult to gauge at first. All you need to take off is the very end of the nail, at an angle to get rid of the sharp long point. Really, your not taking off as much as people assume they should. I too have a dog with charcoal black nails that are impossible to see the veins, I did cut her once as a young pup, but that was because she was fighting and moving around....and caused me to clip where I didnt intend to. It hurts for a bit,and will bleed... but its really nothing too serious....just like a hangnail. I do know my newest pair of nail clippers has a chart on the back....I just bought a cheap replacement pair at "Farm and Fleet" I believe the brand is "Hartz" it was a purple heavy duty scissor-closed end type deal (sorry I dont know the specific name for it). Its really nothing to worry about, you shouldnt be cutting back much at all.

10. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I also use a dremmel,,i get my dogs use to that when they are puppies,,I don't use the dremmel directly at the end of the nail.

11. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

The thing is that she jumps on me and wife so much for hugs and it starts to hurt. I love the attention and excitement of her wanting to hug us so I want to have her nails clipped as short as can be. The nails are cut short enough to where the paws stick out from under the nail. Maybe that's declawing, not sure! The brand I use is Groom-max(if that's how it's spelled).

12. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

With dark nails you can sometimes guess where the quick is. If the end of the nail is all battered and scratched, that is 'dead nail' and usually can be cut off, just don't cut into the fresh, nice looking nail. Also, I look under the nail. Look at the bottom of the nail and, if the nails are clean, you can sometimes see where the quick goes up from the toe and stops. It is still black, but it looks different from the rest of the nail. Hope this makes sense. I used to have problems with my shepherds, as they had black nails and it made it hard where to gauge where the quick was.
    You can also take her to your vet and they can show you where to cut the nail.

13. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

Under her nails are sometimes cracked and uneven and that effect usually runs pretty close to where I would think would be a stopping point(quick) for clipping.

14. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

This dog is by all means not mine, it comes from a place called biredkennels. I just wanted to show you that the nail clip on this dog is how short I normally see them being clipped.

[​IMG]

15. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

What a beast huh?

16. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

Some of the nails on that dog seem to look like they have been naturally filed down also, such as by walking and other activities (of course probably along with a good nail trim).

Remember, the more you trim the dog's nails, the shorter the quick gets, allowing the dog's toenails to actually be able to get that short. If you let them go for a long period of time without trimming, you'll notice the quick to become longer again.

And with dark nails, you can guesstimate where the quick is by the curvature of the toenail. Where it really starts to curve (on the underside), you might want to not cut at that point.

17. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

Thanks that helps alot and I will keep that in mind. Also what can I do to soften the bottom of her paws and keep them soft if anything? They feel like sand paper literally.

18. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

You want her to have hard pads, soft pads become sore and rip?

19. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

oh ok, well damn those things hurt but I guess I have to get used to it. Thanks!

20. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

I don't know about softening up the pads... but I do have a protectant called "Padguard". There's plenty of these types of products out there. But what the kind I used is for is to protect the pads when walking on surfaces such as the pavement and other "harsh" surfaces for their pads. Just spray it on and you're good to go.

But like 14Rock said, you really want them to toughen up their pads.