1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Need help picking a 1 male puppy out of a litter.

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by jdkennels, Apr 3, 2014.

1. jdkennels

jdkennels Pup

Hello everyone, although im pretty new on the forum and this is my first time posting, id just like to say this is the best site on the web!
    So this is my issue, on February 4th I had a litter of five puppies. They currently are eight weeks old as of tuesday. Only three of the puppies remain, 2 males, and 1 female. I must keep the female cause my 3 daughters and fiancee insisted we did so that left me with just one male as our prearranged agreement was to only keep 2 out of the litter due to our current housing situation. What I need is everyones experienced help to pick out a male. Some say pick one with most bone, best color, more dominant, less dominant cause of the kids, and all these traits make it very difficult to make a confident decision. So you know, what I am looking for is a male dog that I can have around kids but yet on the weekends when I go out to the woods with friends is the male dog that still has the ability to be a great catch dog. Male #1 has the bigger bone structure, lighter color, better looking face, bigger head, and overall seems to have a pretty passive personality. Male #2 has more dominant traits, such as plays with toys on his own, when playing tug of war he shakes head very aggressively, bites harder, gets very rough with his mother, even though she shows teeth he still gives her he*$, rather than #1 and the other female at that point with mom they back off. Male #2 also while rough housing with others isnt really more dominant but the others after a few seconds they turn their backs and are done he never stops playing until the others stop first. Male #1 is probably my first pick but i dont want to choose one that later on I wont be satisfied with. Will male #1 with age if I work with him pursue on a hog and not give up like male #2 does already now with mom and others? My fiancee is expecting me to make a very hard decision by the ens of this weekend and I need help. I just haven't been doing this long enough to know how a dogs behavior will change with time. Any positive comments will be greatly appreciated. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Lmao! You're a kennel, but you ask people online about what your own dogs are producing? So many thing wrong with this nonsense I'm not even goin to get into it with an idiot like you.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

3. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

X2 peon!!!
    -------
    To the OP, if there's any doubt, do the peanut butter test LOL

4. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Caution you have to be experienced enough to do the Peanut Butter test LMAO.

5. jdkennels

jdkennels Pup

You know honestly, i cant say anything about all the negative comments I have already got. But I can say there was enough good post on this website that I had thought there would be a enough mature people on this forum to get a little help. Sorry I even asked, I forgot yall started out professionals who all have champion dogs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

6. amistad

amistad Big Dog

Just pick the one you like the most and give the other one to one of your friends that hunts with you. That way you can keep an eye on both of them as they mature that's what I would do jd.

7. ragedog10

ragedog10 Top Dog

What was the purpose of the breeding? What kind of dogs are you trying to create these are the things you should of thought about before hand. No one here can help you pick the dog that best suits your needs. Only you can answer this question. Yis Ole Man

8. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Pick the one with the better looking face.

9. nmdogs

nmdogs Big Dog

imo 8 weeks is to early to tell anything
    about them especially how they will turn
    out as adults ! I agree with the post above
    keep the one you like the most and give
    the other to a friend you hunt that way
    you have a open line of communication
    with the friend and can be updated on
    how the pup is growing !.. like others
    said you should have had a goal in mind
    before the breeding took place as to what
    you wanted out of the litter ! also can you
    post a ped of the breeding ?

nmdogs

10. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Dont let your emotions blind you from seeing the truth within our sarcastic answers. There is NO (secret) right or wrong way/answer when choosing a pup its all about PERSONAL PREFERENCE as to what catches each individual persons eye, just go with the one that satisfies yourself.

This site has some good info for the beginner pitbull fancier you just have to be able to take the good critisizm with the bad and roll with the punches.

Don't be discouraged and keep learning and moving foward, glad to have you hear.

Once you become familiar with this forum you will realize that I am one of the biggest assholes on here next to LacedwithGayme (the y is silent LMAO).

11. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

You actually sounded kind of nice and caring on this post lmao

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Just pick one and watch it grow if you don't like how it turns out you can always cull it. There really isn't any way for us to predict how a pup will turn out full grown they do change what they are like now will not be the same in another few years.

13. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

This is a typical situation whereby you really can't ask anyone else to make your mind up for you, nor guide you in doing so. There will always be things you look back upon and question your choices you've made before. There will be pluses and minuses to it all as it is with nearly all cases of hindsight.

It's too bad that space and accommodations impede your keeping both, as I seem to think you'd like to, and this is why your choice is so difficult. Next time, perhaps a tad better planning ahead or some more patience to be able to accommodate more dogs will serve you better. Just some friendly advice. Good luck to you and the pups.

14. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I am usually nice when it comes to the females, I am only aggressive toward other males LMAO

15. treezpitz

All of the comments above are really good suggestions. There are times when I still have a tough time picking pups and that's when it's time to pull out the trusty peanut butter for the final test. It's worth a shot.

16. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

Have you tried EENY MEENY MINY MO ?

17. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Lmao nah we didn't, but I'm pretty sure nobody here looking for random sumbitches in the world to pick a pup for em. Wait about two months then you'll know more about the pups

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

18. corvettedex

corvettedex CH Dog

I Agree ! I Also let the pup pick me ! If that makes any since to anyone. The 1st one to venture out away from the others ect....Good luck to ya !

19. treezpitz

Dex, I wasn't going to let the cat out of the bag on who told me about the peanut butter test but dammit you just gave yourself away. LOL

20. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

....just pick what ya like the most....as said both will have their good+bad...point's..it's not that hard,there's no real way of telling how they will mature....g-luck..nice-dog's....ps;..apart from getting pup's, was there a reason for ya breeding what are their ped's.....??????