1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice with 9 week old puppy!

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by teteNtazschevy, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Hi everyone! I have a 9 week old pit and got him at 6 weeks old, and he is doing great most of the time on using the puppy pad, my only problem that we cant seem to break is his nipping or biting. I know puppies bite things but his is not so much of chewing, but when you put your hands or fingers up to say no biting, he snaps at you. I have read and tried everything to stop this habit before it gets worse and nothing is working, you cant even pet his head without him having to bite you some kind of way lol! We are going to be starting obedience school when he turns 10 weeks but would love some advice from anyone who may have experienced this same problem. thanks!!!;)

2. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

Make sure he know's..who is in charge like any other pet dog,tip him across the ear/nose when he get's out of hand,he should learn quickly..

3. SacRedboyOwner

SacRedboyOwner Top Dog

Correct the behavior right when it happens, all the time... The pup will learn how you want him to act... But be persistent and make sure your not petting the pup after you correct the behavior...

4. jkpitts

jkpitts Pup

Yep what these guys are saying above is true.u have to be the pack leader and put puppy in its place...just like its moma would do..when it starts biteing on her she growls and then nips her pup.but dont beat your pup..lol.

5. Always have a toy on hand to divert her attention. Take her outside and throw a toy, tire her out. I work my pup a lil before going to puppy class or whenever we are outside and it makes a world of difference. If my pup is still in the biting mood, ill grab her collar, make her sit, and either grab a toy or ignore her for awhile. Outside I let her drag a leash around and if she starts biting, same thing. Grab the leash hold it out and make her sit, then either throw a toy or take her inside and ignore her.

6. *Him , sorry

7. sega

sega Big Dog

Slap the shit out him n hell stop

8. thank you all for the advice!!! :) I have been trying the giving him something else to redirect his attention and sometimes it works ha! Blue8bull, what do u mean tip him? Is that like flicking? I dont have a strong voice so Im trying to find other ways to show whos boss lol!

9. what does tip mean? is that kind of like flicking? ive tried doin that if thats wat u mean its been working a bit lol!

10. jkpitts

jkpitts Pup

Yea flicking or tipping the ears...but dont teez em.and say no!or no teeth.an only do it when he bites.then ignore em.get em chew toys.

11. I cant wait until my pup loses her baby teeth!

12. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

Yeah jus give a lite slap, across the nose/ear,,and as jkp say's use 1 word no...try and say it with authority..it do's not matter how you sound cause your dog will learn when you mean no, by your tone..they learn very quick and if ya correct him now, it will save a-lot of hassle in the future,i've had older dog's which i got from other's that had these prob's cause they did not put time in-to them as pup's...any-way ur doing it rite so best of luck with him...........b.

13. ok cool! thank you!!! :) im posting a couple more pics of him today too so you can see him!

14. thank you! I will do that!!! :)

15. Omg i know!!! haha! their teeth hurts like heck right now lol!

16. Leslie H

Leslie H Big Dog

[video=youtube;c77--cCHPyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77--cCHPyU[/video]

There are better ways to stop a young pup from biting besides hitting them.

17. I didnt watch that whole video but I dont think the Dalmatian was learning anything. All I saw was it being hand fed treats. Personally, I dont like the clicker, or training with treats. I guess its ok for young pups, like in puppy class, but mine doesnt get as many treats in 1 day as she does during that 1 hour. Im basically there for socializing. We are in training 24/7 at home.

18. sega

sega Big Dog

Hitting works good for me, just like whoopin someone at a red light works good. They lose their baby teeth by abt 4-6 months

19. Leslie H

Leslie H Big Dog

I'd rather have a dog that looks forwards to learning new things w/me.
    I don't use a clicker myself, but I'll definitely use treats. My dogs aren't perfect, but I do a lot of training w/them, and I want them to enjoy it.

20. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

Hold it muzzle shut tell it 'No' don't let it squirm away til it 'gives up' then if it does it again hold it's muzzle shut and bite its nose hold it til it gives up it will get the point