1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on Pup

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Bryce, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

My rescue pup has hookworms and cocsidia,ive been giving him the medicine that the vet gave me,but i was just wondering if humans could get this,also how can i disinfect it,ive been pouring bleach on the spot were he uses the bathroom also is there any natural oils ,pills,or supplements to help cocsidia or hookworms?

2. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

you can get worms but the only way i know of how you can get it is if you come into direct contact with the fecal matter and don't wash your hands then eat something or such.now i don't think humans can get coccidia but what you are using to disinfect the area where he uses the bathroom is about the best and sure fire way to do so.just use a 50/50 mixture of bleach and water.

3. Suki

Suki Guest

Coccidia, tho, there are somespecies of it that can affect people, the one that typially infects canines, "Isospora" is not passed onto humans. However it is a very hardy one celled organism that can infect immature immune systems of other canines. There is medicine prescribed for this organism, but it does not kill it, it meerly slows down the reproduction of coccidia, allowing your dog's immune system to "catch up" so to speak to help rid its body of it. coccidia comes from Oocysts: (looks like this under a microscope)

[​IMG]

which a dog (or cat) may inadvertantly swallow from another's stool.
    so yeah, you can bleach the crap out of your yard, but i would recommend that as soon as that pups defecates, to clean it up pronto and trash it somewhere, as well.
    as far as hook worms go, yes they can infect people, primarily thru infected soil/dirt, so yes, same thing, pronto, as soon as that pup "goes" pick it up, trash it and clean/bleach the area so no other pets get infected as well.
    It IS treatable to humans, but be diligent with your cleaning process and hopefully you will never encounter this problem.

4. As far as I know coccidia is a dog parasite that can not be transmitted to humans, and usually after about 6 mos. of age the dogs immune system will be strong enough to fight its effects, but albon is a common medication prescribed to treat it. Old timer is also right about worms...those can be transmitted to humans. There are a few threads on this forum about worming schedules, and effective wormers, etc for pups...and alot of members are vet tech, and they will answer your questions also. If you google disinfectiom/sanitation of coccidia you will get lots of results...here is one exert that i found at: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

"How is coccidiosis prevented or controlled? Because coccidia is spread by the feces of carrier animals, it is very important to practice strict sanitation. All fecal material should be removed. Housing needs to be such that food and water cannot become contaminated with feces. Clean water should be provided at all times. Most disinfectants do not work well against coccidia; incineration of the feces, and steam cleaning, immersion in boiling water, or a 10% ammonia solution are the best methods to kill coccidia. Coccidia can withstand freezing."

5. Bryce

Bryce Big Dog

thanks for all the help guys