1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

NC male in shelter needs help

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by mastiffsj, Mar 8, 2009.

1. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

Another part of the reason I don't like rescue-this kind of "accident" happens ALL the time in shelters here-one dead dog and one in quarantine because they were allowed access to each other by the shelter staff. I've asked for pictures of him, in case anyone can help.

From the email I received-

About a month ago a stray American Staffordshire was picked up by the AC&C officers. He is black and white, less then a year old and unbelievably sweet. I walked him 6 days a week for over two weeks and never saw any sign of aggression. Sometimes my daughter assists me in walking the dogs, so we often walked him along with another dog....no problem

Spuds is so named because he looks like Spuds MacKenzie and has a cute personality. Everyone thought he was precious, and he was accepted into the Humane Society, where he would have a much better chance of being adopted, and not euthanized for space reasons.
    Unfortunately, there was another pit bull, Karl, at the humane society. For whatever reason, these two dogs took an immediate disliking to each other. There were definite signs of aggression between the two dogs. One busy Saturday, while being put back into his cage and having his leash removed, Spuds made a break for it and immediately ran to Karl's cage. Karl broke out of his cage by repeatedly throwing his body against the cage door, and, a horrible fight in sued. The staff tried to break up the fight by employing the use of a water hose, broomsticks, and who knows what, to no avail. Unfortunately, using his instinctive reaction, a potential adopter who was visiting the shelter, reached out to grab one of the dogs in an effort to separate them. Even more unfortunately, that reaction resulted in a dog bite from Spuds (minor- just marks and a tooth abrasion on the skin.) During the chaos of staff and volunteers attempting to break up the fight in this narrow-halled kennel full of barking dogs, Spuds bit a second person, a staff member. The staff was eventually able to steer the dogs into a doorway of an empty play area, and separate them with the door. Both dogs ended up at the emergency vet. Karl was put to sleep and Spuds is back at AC&C in quarantine. WCAC&C (the original caretakers of Spuds) feel that Spuds *can* be safely adopted into a home. WHS, on the other hand, is unwilling to take the responsibility for adopting him to the public. After his quarantine, he will be available for adoption through WCAC&C, but, his chances of actually finding a home while there is available space for him are very slim.

I am willing to do anything possible to help this particular dog get another chance at a long, happy life with loving people. Please help me.

**End of email.......I realize this dog has bitten two different people, but he bit them during the altercation with another dog, which IMO is a totally different scenario.

2. Turner

Turner Big Dog

Great. Thats just fuel for my rescue folks!! They always think that "pits'' just don't like each other! And they are always saying how other dogs don't like ''pits'' and will attack them. Ahhh poor dogs

3. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Christ. I have so many friends that work in shelters and I just can't believe how many employees don't know diddley about dogs, or how to AVOID altracations let alone break them up. I can't believe they don't have breaking sticks, stun guns or even better... tranquilizer guns. My friend got harshed attacked by a ''yard guard'' rotti that was being surrendered, she almost lost her arm. What the hell is a pole or net going to do in that circumstance?

That sad thing is, everyone that was there are probably too clueless to determine whether that dog bite was an accidental bite due to someone's hand being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or if this dog actually has redirection/HA issues. Freakin' people man...

4. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

Would have been seperated very quick if someone had a breakstick and knew how to use it :rolleyes:

5. Turner

Turner Big Dog

I never met a rescue folk who even knew what a breaking stick was. The ones I know thought I meant to hit the fighting dogs on the head with a stick?! :( Please don't say I am the same species as them!! lol

6. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Bwaaaahaaahaaahaaa! I had some chick on Facebook appauled that I was suggesting breaking sticks, thinking they were for hitting dogs! :eek: I actually pushed the rescue I was fostering for to make it a requirement for all foster homes to invest in a breaking stick and it got nixed. :rolleyes: It was one of the long list of many reasons I eventually had enough.

7. Turner

Turner Big Dog

Yeah. lol I have thought about starting my own rescue and all fosters would indeed be required to have breaking sticks, even if they are not fostering a bully breed. Heck, I'd even give a breaking stick to every adopter!! They are a necessity ;) I am a hypocrite though since I don't have one in my house. lol I don't really want to spend money that I don't have on one since it wouldn't be that effective on the dogs I have now lmao

Yeah, you gotta laugh at all the rescue folk. I also noticed that if a "Pit Bull" came in and had any scar on it, they freaked and assumed it was used in dog fighting. If any other breed came in with any scars on it, they assumed it was used for "Pit Bull" bait!!! I just couldn't take it lol

8. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

Here are a few pictures of Spuds...his time is limited, so if anyone knows anyone looking, please tell them about him...I have a friend that is a trainer/behaviorist near the shelter than can evaluate him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Turner

Turner Big Dog

He's perdy good lookin, if I do say so myself. ;) Good luck finding him a home.

10. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Awwwwww........ he sure is a cute little guy. Good luck buddy.

11. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I don't personally own a break stick, here in pa it is concidered dog fighting paraphanala (or however you spell that word.) Although I do have other things that make excellent breaksticks. However I won't keep one in my house it's just not worth the risk. I love my dogs but won't go back to jail for anyone or anything......(It should be noted I have never, luckly, had to use one on one of my dogs, at home anyways.) the best makeshift breakstick I have found is a hatchet handle you can buy at lowes or home depot, they're already filed to somewhat of a dull point for the hatchet head to be attatched to, they work great and I don't believe a hatchet with a loose head on it is concidered paraphenala:D

12. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

He will be euthanized Friday morning unless I can find a place for him.

13. Turner

Turner Big Dog

Wish I could help you out. Good luck