1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

My Two Cents Worth!

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by gator, May 2, 2004.

1. Moesmomma

Moesmomma Pup

Simms, please don't take offense to this but could you explain why this is? I totally understand what these dogs were bred for. I know these dogs LOVE to fight. It's in their blood. But how does the 'general' public hurt these dogs? Our dogs are not the ones killing, mauling.... or making national news. The majority of the dogs that makes the news because of another attack, another mauling, etc., are the ones have been stuck in an abandoned house with no human contact, the ones that have been stuck in the back yard with a log chain all it's life, the ones that have numerous scars, etc (clearly been fought).

If my "petbull" somehow gets out of the house & wonders in the neighborhood, he would not hurt anyone because we have socialized him, trained him, etc.

Just wondering...
    Moe's momma

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Actually if you look at all the recent cases, the "pit bulls" that have attacked have been nothing more than "family pets" in the hands of irresponsible & uneducated people who shouldn't have owned dogs period. These majority of the cases involved dogs that have "never shown aggression before" & just "got loose" despite most of the owners knowing they've gotten loose before.

3. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Its then a game Pit/Staff cross

4. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Because the general public doesnt understand (or just ignores it) where these came from, and what they were born (& love) to do. Uneducated take there dogs to dog parks, and somewhere down the road there "friendly pit bull" eats part of a poodle in a scuffle... no one knows what to do, so they beat the dog to get it off, pour water down its throat, you have a headline etc etc. Why? Because the owner was uneducated, and shouldnt have had the dog there.

Someone else buys a dog from a BYB that likes to breed for size/color/whatever. The buyer doesnt know any better, never socializes the dog w/anyone (or maybe even improperly trains it to be a guard dog), one day the dog gets out and bites someone. The owner swears up & down the dog is nice, & never done this before. Why did this happen? Because someone was uneducated and did the wrong things.

Now (regardless of the breed) even with the best intentions, sometimes these things happen, they are only dogs for crying out loud.

BUT, we are trying very hard to preserve the original bulldog. IF we breed, we only breed to better the breed itself. Not because we love the dog, it is pretty, has a "rare" color, or want it to be huge. People that want these kinds of dogs need to buy a breed that was bred for that. Like Rottweilers, Great Danes, Mastiffs, etc. I'm not saying those dogs were bred to be pretty, but i think alot of what people are trying to make the bulldog into, these breeds already have.
    example- people want the bulldog to be large to look cool, be a guard dog, etc- look at mastiffs & Rotties, they were bred for this (not the cool part lol, thats your own ego problem).

Why do you think just w/in the last few years there has been an "explosion" of "Pit Bull" type bites? The GENERAL PUBLIC.
    Back in the day there werent headlines like this, because the general public was not interested in this breed, as it was a matchdog.

It is uneducated people w/other intentions that are destroying our breed.

Jenn likes this.
  5. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

oh, and the majority of matchdogs (dogs that have been "fought") would not touch a hair on you, or your childs head (unless licking you). The only "threat" they may cause is to livestock/other dogs (though this is not always true)

6. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

The GENERAL public isn't educated on the breed. They are ignorant to the reality of the breed. Sometimes socialization isn't enough. It is up to the responsible owner to care and secure his/her bulldog properly. Chains and scars have little to nothing to do with attacks. A REAL APBT should be kept on a proper, secure chain set-up. For its own protection and the protection of other animals. Read historical articles of true MATCHdogs you will soon come across plenty that speak of the many Ch and Gr Ch's that would come home to children and sleep with them on their bed. Dogs bred for matching were handled during matches, how much sense does it make to have a human aggressive dog that YOU will have to handle during a stressful time like a match? None at all. These ideas are fueled by the ignorant rants of the media and reporters trying to make a name for themselves and/or money. Look into the history of these dogs. They were NEVER portrayed as monsters or "big" dogs or killers until the media got a hold of a story.

7. Moesmomma

Moesmomma Pup

I am totally against BYB, certain colors, and especially LARGE pits. I am totally against these breeders to try to make pits bigger than they normally were. I've seen SO many advertisements "100 lb pits." My APBT is a 70lb pit. I know somewhere down his line, he was bred with another larger dog to get his size, but I still LOVE him with all my heart. I totally agree that only certain people can handle this breed. I know it's history because when we got our APBT, I read & researched all that I could on this breed. I didn't want to be one of the ignorant owners who took their pit to the dog park. All that you said, Miss Conduct, I totally agree and have already read all what you just said.

Wouldn't that make them a 'family pet?' Something that I've heard others disagree too. I guess what I'm asking is.... just because I don't fight my APBT, does that mean I shouldn't own an APBT?

I remember 15+ years ago, the media had ahold of the Doberman. It all boils down to the people who, like you said, breed the APBT with another larger dog.

Moes Momma

8. Moesmomma

Moesmomma Pup

Oops... hit "submit" when didn't mean too....

Anywho....
    I remember 15+ years ago, the media had ahold of the Doberman. It all boils down to the people who, like you said, breed the APBT with another larger dog and have intentions on using this breed for other purposes than what it was breed for.......

Thanks for all your info.
    Moe's momma

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

The problem people have with "family pet" is when the dog isnt getting the excersise a working breed needs. Im sure all of us have had a house dog at one time or another, I do right now. But we treat them the same as the dogs on the yard,and understand what they can do if allowed to, and what we need to do to properly contain them. The problem isnt house dogs or "family pets" its dogs that are expected to fulfill just that role and are neglected physically and/or mentally by depriving them of their daily strenous excersises.

10. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

That's the truth 14Rock!

11. ladybanker462

ladybanker462 Big Dog

this is why a regular exercise program is important.its not the breed that is the problem its some of the people that wont take the time to educate themselves before passing judgement

12. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

There is nothing wrong with having this breed as a pet if you are experienced with the breed and understand it. If you have the know-how to tend to their needs then it's up to you. The REAL problem is when pet bull owners think their PET QUALITY animals are breed worthy and proceed in breeding them!

Exactly.

Moesmomma, there is nothing wrong with them being family pets because they do so well with children and people in general! The difference is, those dogs were WORKED! They were capable of completing their task and still come home and sleep with children.

13. Suki

Suki Guest

I think this sentence has much truth to it,

"It is uneducated people w/other intentions that are destroying our breed."

That basically sums up the demise of this breed, imo.
    Education is KEY, in EVERY aspect of owning this breed. Folks who buy this breed to be a pet companion/couch potato, are usually the first ones to bring it to a shelter=, "Oh, the dog's just too wild". "I don't know how to handle him".
    IF they had researched the fact that this breed is a HIGH energy breed, perhaps they would have realized prior to obtaining it that it NEEDS to be worked.
    ANY breed has its own set of circumstances, "quirks", if you will, and requirements. As a potential buyer, it's up to YOU to investigate FULLY if you're up to the task. Period!
    And to the people that are sticking true to the breeds "roots", I commend you. Yeah, the opinions here are "strong", but many times, they're justified. It DOES get exhausting repeating oneself over and over. Sometimes, opinions and advice fall on deaf ears...
    But for ALL of us, as long as we can be civil minded, open to opinions and questions, and remain level headed, while trying to educate people about this breed, in the long run, we will all be better off, for perhaps the demise that this breed seems to be taking, will take a turn for the better, and we will ALL benefit from that.Owners, media and public alike.
    Sometimes, it's not what you say, but HOW you say it, and this, being only letters printed from a key board can be the subject that's open to personal interpretation, based on what kind of mood people happen to be in that day. You could have the best of intentions with your answer, but if a person's feeling defensive at the time he/she is reading, your well meaning reply just goes out the window...
    As an owner, I enjoy educating people about pit bulls. And I've found most are VERY open minded and willing to listen. And the BEST defense in terms of this breed, game, or pet alike, is a well minded pit, who's a true ambassador for this breed, because of his love for his human companion, and his willingness to demonstrate it....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2006