1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

My Two Cents Worth!

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by gator, May 2, 2004.

1. gator

gator Big Dog

I have listened to many opinions on this site and I must say that I think that maybe we are being a little misleading. We are here to show the world that our wonderful breed of dog is not just simply a dog used for fighting and that it is not the type of animal John Q Public makes it out to be, that is why we are here. We want to educate people that visit our site and encourage them to educate others not try to discourage them because of the color of their dog, the way their dog is bred, etc. I know people all over the world that have bulldogs just because they like them, and choose that breed to bring into their family, and do not care how it was bred or what color it is. Don?t get me wrong, I personally prefer game bred dogs, but if another person does not, so be it, sometimes a game bred dog does not fit into a persons lifestyle so does that mean they should not still try to find a bulldog that does fit into their lifestyle? I have heard comments about staffs not being pit bulls. Lets get serious here a staff is a pit bull, they just are bred differently, their name was change from pit bull to American Staffordshire Terriers to appease the A.K.C. and then they just started breeding them for the show ring. I hope that this forum stays true to its purpose to help and educate every bulldog owner or potential owner that visits with us or otherwise we are pissing up a tree. If a person tries to bring a bad name to our site, I would be the first to say get him out of here but luckily that has not happened yet. Just the ramblings of an old dog man.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2004
    ghost 1 likes this.
  2. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

I agree with you, but what I don't agree with is folks breeding for blue dogs and big thick bones and heads. Thats not what this breed was meant to be about. If you are into showing, in the conformation ring, good deal, a good conformation dog is a beautiful thing. Alot of folks get these dogs for the wrong reason, such as they want a GUARD dog, this is NOT the breed for that. Things like that will help ruin this breed by adding defects that are NOT NORMAL for this breed, such as hip dysplasia. This is a working breed and I feel as tho they need to be used as such. To each is own, and one man is gonna do one thing with his dogs and another will do their thing with theirs...

BB

3. slimm

slimm Pup

Well said guys. I have one dog, a pup that will be 9 weeks in another few days. I have not had a dog in over 10 years. I too prefer game bred dogs, and chose to make this one a family/house dog to grow with my children who are 3&2. Most of the common people always thought I was crazywhen I said the only dog I would ever own again with children is an APBT. This pup is down from Mayday, and Frisco on the bottom. I chose this breed because of what children have the tendancy to do i.e. grab, poke, step-on, pull, kick, whatever. With the tolerance for pain and the propensity to cull out the man biter, I ask what could possibly be a better choice?

4. gator

gator Big Dog

There is no better choice what so ever.

5. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Very good choice...my son can be terror on these dogs, I catch him and he stops and they never do anything, his favorite dog is a CRAZY bitch that we were kinda worried about when he was a baby. She ended up sleeping with him alot and now they are best of friends...
    BB

6. Very well said. My only "pet peeve" is the big "pit bulls" You know the one's...those that were crossed with some other big breed to get the size. And then they register them as purebreds when everyone knows they aren't.

7. MMK

MMK Guest

in my honest opinion anything but a gamebred dog is not a pitbull. and i dont include staff/pit crosses. and that is the reason i pushed for the staff forum to help keep people of different intrest from clashing. i know i clash with the amstaff owners as i believe they are trash. but that is my opinion and i am intitled to it. but even though shon says this site is for them all i still believe that it is misleading to include them in the site. but that is just another personal opinion. i believe game dogs are game dogs and curfurmation dogs are not gamedogs. they werent bred for gamness they were bred by old ladys with nothing better to do than to critique each others dogs apearence. BUT THESE ARE MY OPINIONS

gator u brought up some very good points some of which i dont agree with but good points none the less. i just feel there should be a further seperation within the breed. but as i said before i do not have anything to do with staffs and view them like an unwanted cousin. but as i said before i dont hate on people unless what i see is morally and ethically wrong and they should look for another breed.

take care and stay safe everyone
    MMK

8. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

I agree with you Gator. We all have to think "outside the box" when we read others opinions. Although we may not agree on a certain issue, it certainly does give each of us something to think about to test our own beliefs. I agree with everything you have said.

I also agree with BBK about 100+ lb dogs with thick head and bones. This is truely a disgrace to the breed, regardless of the color of the dog.

You all know......I love my Blue Dog.......I love the others as well, but he is special to me. Some think they ain't game but if PEDS-ONLINE ever opens back up check out his link in the photo section. I have other dogs that are JOCKO/YELLOW and a double bred bitch which I prefer to keep silent. I think I know a game dog when I see one. Others will disagree........ooooooooh well, you know what opinions are like! [​IMG]

9. CRG

CRG Top Dog

mmk i could not have said it better

10. MMK

MMK Guest

yep they may be close cousins but they are not the real thing.
    MMK

11. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

A staff is not a pitbull....Not anymore it ain't...At one time they were the same dog, but the staff was bred for the show ring and lost the main trait of the AMERICN PITBULL TERRIER...GAMENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is noway in hell the Staff is the same damn breed!!!! just my 2 cents........YIS

DryCreek likes this.
  12. 3BK

3BK Pup

FACT! A very short statement but down right straight to the point! No more explanations! No more excuses! Just plain fact!!!! Well done BNK! ;)

yours in the sport,
    3 B K!!! keep it scratchin!!!

13. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

I'ma have to go with BNK on this too...gameness is the trait that seperates this breed from every other breed out there...without the gameness, you're just another breed. Now I'm sure there are some "somewhat" game Staffs...but as a general rule...these Curformation show dogs (UKC) aren't game....

BB

14. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Good dogs are where you find them. But just because a dog is blue or has certan lines further back doesn't make it any less of a dog than any other. Heck..theres just as many "gamebred" dogs that are curs and were bred only because of their papers.
    thts not saying I'd run right out and breed to a blue dog but that wouldn't stop me from owning a game dog off a game blue parent.

Each his own in this world. MAybe thats why the APBT has such apeal. The wide variety they come in. If you want to blame anyone blame the regisrties for allowing the dual or triple registries to begin with. They're the ones who let people get away with it.

15. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Very well said..........
    BB

16. SBK

SBK Pup

I agree 100% about what you guys are saying about BIG bulldogs. I also raise American Bulldogs they ARE supposed to be large. Don't hold a candle to my apbt's though.

This is one of my females. She's 42 lbs in the pic and a little fat....... Conditioned she goes 35-38 . Linebred Redboy/Jocko/Jeep. Have another female she's same weight Ch. Johnny Jr/Turtle Buster/Boudreux.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2004
  17. gator

gator Big Dog

I never have got excited over those large bulldogs and have always questioned their breeding and always will. Nice lookin lil dog you got there.

18. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

I am completely against breeding MASSIVE pitbulls. If you look at Muglestons Pitbulls........they are nearly every one of them over 100 lbs. This is not the way the breed is supposed to be. This is more of a genetic abnormality that good breeding.

I also agree with BNK........staffs are not pitbulls........at one time I believe they were the same dog but years of breeding have definately defined the two dogs. Staffs usually are extremely well tempered and get along with other dogs well too. This is not in the pits nature.

Yall know how I feel about the blues..........just love the look and the color! I think most believe you can't have a damn good looking dog that is game. I disagree.

19. Them m-f's cost up in the $2 000 -$3 000s too...

20. veeman001

veeman001 Pup

I just want to say that I really appreciate this forum. My husband is a true dog man and I am just learning about the breed myself. When my husband said that he wanted to get back into the dogs (after being away for a few years) I was a little reluctant. I have never been around a pitbull and I was very concerned for my welfare as well as for my children's welfare. My husband assured me that there is nothing to worry about. I gave in and I got my first APBT. I fell in love with her immediately and so did my children. Since getting her we have acquired a few more. I just want everyone to know that this breed can be very dangerous but at the same time can be very lovable. Thanks again for having this forum around for us non dog people :)

Mrs. Veeman