1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

My pup's got a extra toe.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mike333, Sep 14, 2005.

1. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

My pup Buckshot has a extra toe on his backright paw.I thought about having it removed{by the vet of course}.My first ? is would a vet do that?I also thought about just leaving it there.My second ? is would it effect him later in his life{he's only 6-7 weeks old}.I'll post a pic ASAP thanks to all in adv.[​IMG]

2. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

My camera's being a ass.I'll post the pic in the morning.It actually looks like a dew claw but it's on the back right paw.Anyways,the pic will show you better than I can tell you.

3. RHI

RHI Big Dog

I would think it would be fine since it's just an extra toe ....but if it was like a dew claw, up higher on the leg, I personally would have it removed, but we remove dew claws anyway........I have no idea if the vet would remove it , it sounds more like possibly having it removed would be more for cosmetic reasons then possibly a problem......but would like to see a picture

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2005
  4. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

not saying ur dog is Mike..... but, the only dogs I've seen with an extra toe have been mutts?

5. RIVES PITS

RIVES PITS Top Dog

IT SHOULDN'T HENDER HIM BUT I ADMIT DOES SOUND KINDA WIERD

6. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

lol@rives.. im not sayin nothin bout ur dog Mike, I have know idea how its bred. Im jus sayin i've seen dogs with too many toes, quite a few.. usually Dobbie/ Rott mixes.

7. Defend2DaEnd

Defend2DaEnd CH Dog

Jee any dog that has any conformation fault is a mutt, lol.

8. RIVES PITS

RIVES PITS Top Dog

THIS ISN'T REALLY TRUE I MEAN I DON'T SEE WHY YOU'D CONSIDER IT A MUTT!

9. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

Yeah he's a mutt but it dont mean shit!I still love'em the same.I bought'em off of some punk ass "breeder" I knew right then & there he was a mutt but the "breeder" was mistreatin him so I didnt care.

10. WWII

WWII Banned

Do you remove the front ones too?

11. B

B CH Dog

I don't remove the front dew claws... my dogs use them.

B

12. WWII

WWII Banned

I wouldn't remove them, but it kinda sounded like they do.

13. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

My pup's mother has an extra toe. Doesn't bother her. The vet would probably say that it's fine and if it starts to become a bother, to remove it.

14. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Are you talking about dew claws on the hind legs? If you are, it's no big deal, just leave them. Either way, they're not going to hurt or hinder your dog. Unecessary surgeries can.

15. WWII

WWII Banned

I thought you got the back ones removed cause they caught on stuff really easily, but kept the front ones?

16. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Some people will remove them if they're connected by skin only. No one does if they're connected by bone. My Dogo has them & they have yet to be a nuisance.

17. WWII

WWII Banned

Ahhhh. I didn't know they might be connected in different ways. Makes sense now.

18. searkkennels

searkkennels Big Dog

i have never had that with our dogs. i have seen it a few times. i agree with mia though. I wouldn't think it could hurt to much. Just ask ground up he has an extra big toe on each foot. he can tell you how it effects him atleast.

19. CB

CB CH Dog

Wasnt there another thread that was just like this. Where some bloodline carys 6 toes on the pups. I might be wrong so dont bash me about it.

20. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

whoat too many toes never saw dogs like that