1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

My pup wont eat Canidae :(

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by MAXIM, Jul 3, 2007.

1. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

Would anyone know why this is happening? I took pple's advice on this site & decided to give it a try. At first obviously, we didnt just switch over to canidae in 1 day. The Canidae was mixed w his old food that he's been eating for a little while. Finally when we switched over to canidae 100%, he stopped eating it. He barely touches his food. We have tried every trick to get him to eat it but he wont. And im not about to throw away the rest of the bag, that stuff is not cheap. Sometimes, at night time thought, when he's real hungry cause he didnt eat it in the morning or afternoon, at night he's so hungry he finally eats it. But not cause he wants to, kinda which is obvious. So what do u guys recommend? By the sound of it, other pple's dogs on this site all love Canidae. Well, whats wrong with my dog? Why isnt Max eating it?

2. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

how old is he???

3. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Pup is maybe being picky. Leave a measured amount down for 15-20 mins, if pup dont eat pick it back up until the next feed time. Dogs arent stupid, they wont starve themselves, if its hungry it will eat. In between feeding DONT give treats. Your pup is trying to train you, you need to be training the pup. ;) Give it a few days, your pup should get use to the schedule, and will find out if it doesnt eat when you allow it, it has to wait. This also helps with potty training of the pup is inside, you have a good idea of wheh the pup will need to be taken outside.

4. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

some pups/dogs just dont like canidae.. try something else after a few days if he still wont eat. do you free feed? if so, dont.
    get samples of foods you would like to try before going out to buy a bag.

5. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I agree. They will TRY and train you.

Example My moms dog:
    My mom used to put canned food on top of dry. Well when she stopped Maggie did not want to eat. My mom freaked out after 1 day and called me and was like Maggie is going to starve. Well when I moved back to GA and made my mom stop doing it. Maggie held out for a week. Finally she was like well I am not going to get the good stuff. They WILL not starve themsleves.

Now if it is a young pup things will be different. You dont want her health to suffer. ( I am talking young 6- 12 weeks)

6. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

OMG u guys are the best. Thank you! All the advice ive ever received on this site, has always worked!

Max is almost 8 months. Ive never heard of a picky pup, whata hell!!!

7. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Switching food regularly can also cause a picky dog. I do not reccomend doing that. Dogs will always want what taste best. Example canned food taste better but not whats best for them. Higher in calories and bad for teeth. And human food taste better.

In my house they eat what I give them or they do not eat. As long as it is not medically related why they are not eating.

Also another example at client at work came in and brought a bucket of KFC for their dog when boarding. We looked like WTF. She told us that their dog only ate KFC and would not eat dog food. And she tried to get him to eat dog food and he just wouldn't. Well we told her that no the dog is training you. Well when the dog boarded he ate dog food for us. The dog knew if he held out long enough his owner would give in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  8. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

Ive switched food once, when i went from Pro Plan to Beneful. And when i switched him over, i slowly started mixing lil by lil the old food w the new food, until i finally cut the other one out of the picture. He did great w the last switch so i dunno....

But imma try this------

9. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I agree try what MissConduct said. They will not starve themsleves. And you did right by switching over a period of time. I was refering to what Maryellen said to try different food till you find what he likes.

10. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

my dog was picky too when i first switched him over to canidae which was like a year ago, and i did exactly what MC said and after not eating the food in the morning he quickly realized what the deal was and quickly ate up the food at the night feeding. Yo Anna when u gonna post some new pics of max

11. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Right on the money.

12. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

a small trace of bacon grease or a table spoon of olive oil does the trick some times..but proper feeding times is the most important.

13. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Thats exactly what i WOULDNT do. If the dog is being picky as is, adding things like bacon grease will only make it worse... the dog will come to expect something extra tasty on top every time, or he wont eat it. I add a tablespoon or 2 of Olive Oil to my dogs food sometimes (extra healthy calories, and makes a nice coat), BUT my dogs dont have food issues ;)