1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

My Pup Onyx, Pix and Update + Helena!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Hells Bells, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Onyx is nearly 8 weeks old now! They grow so fast. He's had his first round of shots and we got him de wormed last week. I just started working on him with the "sit" today. He's a rowdy little handful. We are feeding Taste of the wild all stages, so much easier than two separate foods. Helena and him are really starting to play great. But Helena has been very territorial of her food bowl, which I know she is like that so we keep them separated during feeding time and they will have to be in separate rooms when its time for bones too. She doesn't mind sharing her toys, but I am always supervising. He likes to hide under the couch and bark and growl, sticking his little nose out, it drives Helena crazy. lol She tries so hard to get under there. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

3. Turner

Turner Big Dog

Err what happened to that other pup you had a bit ago?

Onyx is cute BTW :)

4. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Thank you, there was a thread about the other pup awhile back. I don't want to continue beating a dead horse on the topic. Basically for her age she was showing too many signs of a shy, snappy temperament. I found her a good home, which I call to check in on her from time to time, she's doing good and will be spayed, which was the agreement when I gave her to the family.

Now please, more comments on Onyx and Helena. ;)

5. simms

simms CH Dog

Better hope you dont have the real deal in either one of those dogs. I'de hate to read of those dogs suffering so you might learn something about the APBT. Better line up a home for that pup now... you can expect that they will scrap!

6. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

I know what I am dealing with, but thanks for the concern none the less.

Helena has been very territorial of her food bowl, which I know she is like that so we keep them separated during feeding time and they will have to be in separate rooms when its time for bones too.

Really do you think I would put either dogs at that kind of risk?

7. masta of game

masta of game Banned

LOUD AND CLEAR

:eek::eek::eek: HAHAHAHAHAH

8. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

well at least make sure ya keep a couple sticks handy.....and how did ya get your words SO BIG? i could use that sometimes:D

9. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Simms, please check your pm box. And why don't you try offering words of wise ness and education instead of being a wise ass.

10. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Thank you, I will be getting some sticks, are there any threads on how they are used? I've read about them before and seen a few, never used one but I am prepared to learn.

And you can increase the size of your words on the top toolbar where it says "sizes"

11. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

actually two dogs in the house is pretty darn tough to pull off, so those were words of wiseness

12. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

<TABLE class=tborder id=post9940 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_9940 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #302217 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #302217 0px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(images/gradients/pb_back.gif); PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: #302217 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 4px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #302217 0px solid; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x">What is a break stick
    A break stick is a device made to be inserted in the mouth of a pit bull (behind the molars) to gently pry open and release its grip on an object or another animal. This is a safety item every pit bull owner should possess.

Why Every Responsible Pit Bull Owner needs a Break Stick
    Because the pit bull has been bred for their fighting abilities, they can inflict serious injury to other dogs if the fight is not broken up quickly and efficiently. Even the most well-behaved pit bull could potentially fight one day. A break stick can easily help you get the pit bull to release another dog. This, in no way, means the pit bull has "locking jaws". That is a myth. Pit Bulls have the tenacity to hold on, and the break stick gives the owner the ability to get the dog's jaws open. Keep in mind that most dogs fight differently than pit bulls. The pit bull will get a solid grip and then hold and shake. The break stick has been designed to break their grip.

How to use the Break Stick
    Insert the break stick behind the molars where the gap is found. Turn the break stick. The turning action should open the dog's jaws enough so you can pull the dog back by the collar.

Secure the dog the stick is being used on. Straddle the dog with your legs. Squeeze them around the lower portion of the body. The back legs are essentially the drive train. Strength come from the rear legs. (shaking / tugging) You want to immobilize the back legs to prevent the dogs from moving/turning to avoid the stick. Grab the subject dog by the scruff of the neck. ( Back of neck) then insert the angled end between the opening in the rear of mouth. ( molars) If the dog has hold of another dog, there will generally be a space. In the instances where an exceptionaly hard biting dog leaves little room for a stick, try to work it in when the dog changes position or holds. Stick should be made of good wood (IE: cocobola), plastic or fiberglass. Not metal, as it may hurt the dog and break teeth. It should be angled like a door stop. ( Hammer handles break) The twist is the key.

<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #302217 1px solid" vAlign=bottom><!-- sig --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

13. simms

simms CH Dog

Live an learn...We will be reading about you.

14. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

I would worry about my dogs being stolen, hurt or breaking loose if I kept them outside. I know someone who had a few bulldogs in the house and a couple didn't get along after they grew up, but they were managed in a crate/rotate situation. Helena is 2 and a half and other than the food aggression, which is only with other dogs I hope we won't have a problem.

15. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

thats a good post woody, i hope everyone that comes on here reads this one

16. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Congrats on the pup! I think you will be just fine since you have a male and a female. BUT you always have to be prepared for anything and since I know you are new to this here is some great info about how to break up a dog fight. Now this video is not about APBT's so the use of a break stick in all this may be necessary.
    http://leerburg.com/dogfight.htm

http://leerburg.com/qadogfight.htm

Is he a rescue? he is very cute!

17. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Thats a great read but I think alot of people that have never actually broke a dog off something before will read that and just think ok I know how to do it now, DON'T THINK LIKE THIS NEWBIES! practice makes perfect! Get your dog on something (a tug or springpole I ment of course;)) and practice breaking it off because if you just read about it, most likely when the time comes to actually utilize it, most will probally B*tch up when you need to stay cool, calm and collective...........

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  18. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

I know it's a lot different when it actually comes down to doing it. Helena is so good about her the release command though I think it would be hard to practice on her. Although I could try.

19. Advocate

Advocate Big Dog

I doubt you have to worry about those two hurting each other badly. It all depends on you. Just get used to feeding one in the garage and the other one outside and keep it that way forever. 2 dogs are EZ to handle, she might shake him up now and then over those playtoys, but i doubt those two would ever put a hurtin on each other.

20. Advocate

Advocate Big Dog

Release command??