1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

My Home Made Feed

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by killadev300, May 23, 2011.

1. killadev300

killadev300 Big Dog

So I am looking for some advice, pointers, opinions on the food I am currently feeding. Dogs doing good on it and I guess if they are doing good on it thats all that should matter but there are more knowledgeable folk on here and any additional information or ideas could not hurt. So as stated in the title I make this feed.

• Boiled rice as a carbohydrate source
    • Boiled Beef, lamb strips (lean meat and fatty tissue)
    • Chunks of organ meat - mainly beef liver, sometimes chicken gizzards and hearts
    • Daily supplement (currently using canine red cell )
    • Cod liver oil
    Now, I am looking at how I could balance off this meal that is if it needs balancing and I was also thinking of adding some veggies as I know of people who add to aid in digestion I think. Any additional information advice pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance -- killadev

2. bauer

bauer Top Dog

Your dogs are eating better than me...

3. Roche

Roche Big Dog

I actually feed exactly all of the above to my dogs including veggies. and with out the supplement but I only feed this when my dog food products have run out and what I notice with this home made food is that it produces more fat and protein and a firm stool but when not balanced correctly the mixtures can affect the dog's coat and sometimes other factors like teeth etc. I think you should consider adding just a small amount of veggies into you're feed.

4. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

you can throw some honest kitchen in that diet to add veggies.. here is the link http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/ they have a formula that is strictly veggies

5. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

ya that honest kitchen looks like good stuff, agreed with dirtyd.

6. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

There are a few things you could add with little trouble: whole raw egg, yogurt, cottage cheese, chopped dried fruit(raisins, prunes, figs, etc), canned mackerel or salmon.

7. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

What are you using for a calcium source? Does the supplement have it? When I made my own raw, I used bone meal or powdered eggshell.

I found this site a few years back when I was looking to make a cancer diet for one of my dogs. It's kinda cool as it gives percentages of carbs to protein source and such....

http://www.windyhollowvet.com/nutrition.html

8. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

Why are you cooking the organ/meats? You're cooking out all the nutrients.

9. Yep if you're going to use meat it's pretty dumb to be cooking it.

10. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

yeah I am not so sure about all the cooking either when I fed home made I fed it raw... I do agree with adding up a fish source and cottage cheese and yougurt

11. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

Nice link Zoe thanks for sharing

12. killadev300

killadev300 Big Dog

@magnioliaotis I have the Cali Jack book and he suggests most of those things but I thought that was more for feeding in a keep

@ zoe this is the link for the supplement http://www.drugs.com/vet/canine-red-cell.html gives a list of the minerals in it, I use it to fill the gaps my feed may have in its balance thanks for the advice about the calcium will definitely look into it

@ I cook them to kill the bacteria eg. Salmonella, its just alight boiling would that greatly affect the nutrients.

For all those who replied thanks alot and keep the advice and information coming someone else beseides me might learn as well --- killadev

13. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

If it works in a keep imagine what good it would do fed once or twice a week on a regular basis.

14. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

freezing should kill everything

15. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Oh ya.... just to add. I ground my eggshells up in a coffee grinder and from what I researched, to get a balanced calcium/phosphorous ratio, you use about a 1/4 tsp of egg shells to about a cup of raw meat.

16. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

thats a great idea Zoe. I got to powder mine too since he dont like to eat em. I will remember that when I switch back to raw.

17. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Ya.... I had the same problem. Most my dogs wouldn't eat the shells and the ones that did, just pooped them out in big pieces. I can't imagine that would feel good coming out! lol I'm assuming the powdering of them made it easier for the dogs to digest/absorb. The egg shells were much cheaper than the bonemeal I would buy as well since they were free! lol

18. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

I didnt even know you could by bonemeal...

19. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Well, I used to get the stuff from Solid Gold, but they stopped carrying it in Canada for some reason. Some of the higher end pet stores that carry raw will sometimes have it in their freezer fresh/frozen... often Buffalo bonemeal around her for some reason. lol It's freakin' expensive though. Just don't use the stuff you get at the gardening store! lol

20. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

I will have to look into that thanks