1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

My dog has lost muscle mass.

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by Pirbul, May 13, 2007.

1. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Hello guys.

Well, my dog had an accident 15 days ago and injured both front lets, rear one and hip.

Hes actually recovering and we are really lucky to have him with us since he fell off a big wall, hes got an operation on one of his front legs and will need on the other one in a couple of months.

And i noticed he has lost alot of mass muscle in 2 weeks, hes 9 years old btw, i dont know if this is caused by the medicine or the stress but i can see there is too much bone on his head and his back.

Im a little worried because i know he was not in the best shape before accident but now iits missing alot of muscle but still not too skinny.. its weird.

We are going wednesday to vet so they can remove the stitches on his front leg and i will ask him about all this.

But the question is, whats a good home remedy (food+vitamins) to recover or regain the lost mass muscle? i wont be able to run / work him for a couple months, i do move his legs/massage his muscles and walk him in home a little daily.

Thanks.

2. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

In my opinion, exercise and rebuilding muscle mass should be your least concern right now. The dog went through a bad injury and it is going to take its toll on the dog. Do exactly what the vet says and nothing more or less.

Once the dog starts getting better, you will see its weight going back to normal.

By the way, how did this happen?

3. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Hi Tommy, thanks for reply.

Hes currently recovering, the accident was our own fault...

My brother (19 years old) got him loose and for some reason we dont know he jumped of a 30 foot height wall, dog hit the ground with his front legs and broke both wrists's ligaments, got a fissure on his femur/hip, miraculously no internal hemorrage or medular injure happened.

The fissure just needs rest and the injures on his wrists ligaments needed operation, when my dog stands on his front legs they look like if they are broken by the wrist and they fixed there some titanium pieces so the joint doesnt move.

This happened on both of his wrist, vet said the best is to fix one,let it recover 100% and then fix the other one.

So i wont be able to exercise him on a few months, i move his joints and massage their muscles and then its when i noticed the muscle loss.

I will follow your advice and wait to visit vet, just wanted to know if anyone had a problem like this and if a specific food or vitamins worked on this i know old dogs suffer muscle mass lose at some point, but the difference before accident and now is BIG.

I still wonder why my dog jumped off that wall, he knew there was nothing down there but he even did a fucking long jump like if he wanted to suicide, nothing like this happened to us before.

4. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

It happens, I have heard of dogs jumping out of second & third story windows chasing after something. Just feed him well, keep him hydrated & listen to what your vet tells you about excercise. I wouldn't worry too much about muscle mass right now, just keeping him calm & getting him healed. And you have to remember, a muscle not being used will lose mass fairly quickly. Have you ever broken a leg or an arm? The 6 or so weeks in a cast will make your limb look withered. Mass can be regained after he is fully healed. Remember, this isn't a young dog, take it slow with him. Good luck to him!

5. Suki

Suki Guest

I echo Cheeky's post. Let him "heal" first. The rest will come and he will heal of his own accord. You can ask your vet about adding a few supplements AND if he/she deems it necessary, and take it from there. I would use a slow, steady approach. Age is a factor here. Write all your questions down and go over each one with your vet=best advice i can give yah.

Best of luck. :)

6. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Just get him healthy. Like humans, dogs often lose some muscle mass with age and a 9 year old dog is starting to get up in years a little bit.

7. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

after he heals more you can can exercise the legs yourself (if he will be still long enough)by doing R.O.M. on him.

8. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Good Post!

I hope your dog is feeling better asap

9. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

What are you feeding him and is he eating well?

YIS

10. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

We feed him Nutro Lamb and rice + some human food(rice/vegetables), he's been eating and drinking since day one, but after accident he was like 5 days w/o poop and you dont know how big that thing was when he did lol.

And thanks for the good advices, of course i cant exercise him and hes currently healing, only 2 weeks passed, maybe i shoudnt have posted this on conditioning forum hehe.

Was just curious to know if there is any food or complement that helps on not losing and regain muscle, not a miracolous food but something thats "good" and that i should add to his normal food.

I'll visit vet wednesday and ask all this, im just a little alarmed that in less than a week he lost all this weight and muscle mass but after the accident and his age is understandable, besides this problem we are very happy... Bongo has no more pain and hes progressing very well.

I'll keep you guys informed =) thanks again.