1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

My best friend

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by rusty, Jan 31, 2006.

1. rusty

rusty Guest

My forum name is Rusty and I sent out a thread that may have offended some people but I wanted to get as many responses as possible for this one particular reason. I am not racist against any race as a matter of fact I am a African Americam, I wanted to see how people would react to this thread for this reason. I live in Burlington NC, only been here for 1 month, I was walking my APBT that I have owned for 7yrs, he is a housedog never been on a chain, never been involved in a fight, never attacked anyone. He was a friend to my wife and son, a family member. I was stopped by animal control and told that his chain was too heavy and that it was inhumane to walk my dog on such a heavy chain and that I had to turn it over to her while they performed a investigation, I refused and you know what the next step was, exactly the police were called to the scene and as they loaded my buddy up the comments I posted were the same comments that were said to me as a explanation of why my dog was being taken. When I got to the animal shelter to get my dog back they told me that he attacked one of the animal shelter workers and had to be put to sleep, my dog never growled at anyone, never barked at anyone and absolutely loved people to death stranger or not. Needless to say my family and I are destroyed by this event and just like someone responded it makes you not even want to own a APBT because I could never watch a member of my family taken away and then put to sleep. R.I.P. RUSTY I love you buddy,

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2006
  2. thablacksheep

thablacksheep Big Dog

Sorry for your loss partna

3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Why would you walk a dog with a big chain anyways? A simple nylon leash is more than strong enough. By using a large chain all you did was draw negative attention to yourself. It might not of been appropriate or what not, but thats the bottom line now-days. There is absolutely no reason other than to look cool or boost your ego or street cred to walk a dog with a great big chain or even chain collar. Its bad for the dog and serves no purpose what so ever as far as safety is concerned.

4. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

You took the words right outta my mouth! Good Post.

5. sajoseph

sajoseph Pup

I'm sorry. That sucks. My husband says he will go to jail if nayone ever takes our Dixie from us.

You own the breed, you HAVE a responsibility to THEM, dont make them look worse then they are, dont live up to THEIR expectations, dont use a huge chain!

6. Txbkennel

Txbkennel Big Dog

My dog will chew through a nylon leash in a matter of minutes like if we are sitting on a bench or at the vet(he knows where he is and he's nervous!) or whatever other than that just walking he is fine. I can see using a normal sized chain in some situations, but a big chain will make people think that he "needs" to be on a chain that large or else, but I have seen people react the other way and get antsy even when a Pit is in sitting position on one of those retractable dental floss thin leads...lol

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

What happened to using one of these? They are cheap, strong, deter biting, and dont make you look like a thug.

Edit-and yes, those retractable leashes should not be used by anybody, let along bulldog owners. I've seen a 10 lb. pomeranian break one and a 3 month old pup break the big heavy duty ones.

Attached Files:

8. simms

simms CH Dog

That suck's!

I would follow up on their story....

Most states require a 10-14 day qaurnteen, then the fate of the animal in question is decided.

Was your dog up to date on his VX? Did you see the injury that your dog was accused of? Did you recive a written report or request a copy of this inccedent?

If that was my dog, I would want those details!!!

9. RiotDog

RiotDog Pup

I agree with 14rock, that is the type of leash I use. But........damn have a little bit of compassion. It wasn't necessary for them to take his dog away from him just b/c of that. And then, put his dog to sleep??????WTF!!!!!And if your dog chews on the leash, fix them problem, there are ways. And rusty, IMO ANYONE who is walking an APBT in public is prone to prejudice. But the fact that you were a black man, walking your APBT in public, looking the way you did with big chain and all, it is only common sense to expect negative assumptions from anyone who witnessess you, especially animal control.

10. could not have said it better!

11. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

how long did it take you to go to the shelter to get your dog back?? I would have been hanging off the bumper of the car that took him away...
    I think they were perfectly in their right to stop you and ask about the heavy chain since there are far to many people whom dont use common sense..but I dont think it was in their right to take your dog if nothing was wrong (dog healthy, fit, etc)

Thats why experts will tell you keep the dogs off public streets and get a treadmill for them..

12. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I do feel bad this man lost his dog and his family lost a friend! However, right now my compassion goes to the dog I'm seeing walked down the street with a huge chain for no other reason that to be an ego booster to the owner. Unfortunately, the dog died because of the walkers image. It damn sure isnt right....no body is saying the SPCA did the right thing. Far from it, however I just feel its irresponsible to play on these stereotypes you know exist and then whine when the reaction you knew people have cause you some greivance. I've always been told "you hang out with the trash and you get thrown out with the garbage". Don't take that the wrong way and assume I'm calling you trash, as I'm not at all! What I am saying is your acting the part of a stereotype so dont be suprised when people stereotype it. I know there is a stereotype of say Fat bald men with rebel trucks, hoods, and pick-up trucks. Would it be responsible of me to do all those things I listed previously and then complain when I get stopped by the police? Of course not. Do you get the point I'm trying to make....and no its not that I'm a rebel flag toting,truck driving KKK member and your a trash bag :p

13. Txbkennel

Txbkennel Big Dog

Well said, you're already going to get a dirty look for walking an APBT PERIOD...even if you are a 76 year old little granny in a pink dress...the rest of the story was like adding fuel to the fire.

14. I am sorry to read of your lost. Anyone reading reading this post please note:

Your dog is your legal property. I would suggest you demand a warrant before releasing your dog to any police enforcement. In addition, you must demand to speak to their Sergeant (boss) if they insist on removing you from your "property". This comes from experience. I was walking my dog early in the morning (7:30am) and some young man opened the door to his building allowing his "pug" to run out (no chain). I did not see the dog coming at full towards mine (it was coming from behind). That day, I learned my dog does NOT like "pugs" on little bit. Regretfully, I was not carrying a b-stick. Fast-forwarding about an hour, cops showed up and took my and his stories. One of the cops told me, "we're going to have to take your dog for testing" or something like that. I told them, "with all do respect, I will not give up my dog for it to be killed". I continued by stating that my dog did what it was suppose to do, protect its owner. The cop insisted so I ask to speak to his Sergeant (knowing/hoping they did not want to bother their boss at 7:30AM! (I knew requesting to speak to their boss is my right). I gave them my info, and my dog's license number, gave my regrets to the other dog's owner and went home to clean my boy up.

Do not allow a police officer to take your dog without a warrant especially when no human was harmed (hopefully this will always be the case). Insist to speak to their Sergeant if the officer is stubborn. Keep a current license on your dog(s) (in my area it costs $25 per year).

15. 14, you are speaking of "profiling" which is illegal as far as I know. It does not matter what the person looks like, if they have not committed a crime, they should not be treated as such. If I saw a tattooed, head-shaved (bald), and redskinned man walking with a wife beater, I will not label him a KKK, Nazi type person. It would be the same for a person who wears hats, pants, and hoodies in a particular way. It is a fashion not an attitude. Profiling is wrong and should not be accomodated. If I like baggy pants (just saying), I will wear them even when walking the dog. Ridiculous to take a defensive posture on this matter. Let those who racially or otherwise profile, learn it is not acceptable.JMO

16. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

again i know its off topic but you project a certain image to reflect a part of your personality. They call them Fashion STATEMENTS for a reason bcs they are saying something. I can tell you from experience you see me coming off of work button down 100 dollar shirt, Linen Slacks, Dress shoes and a Tie even at 22 i get a different level of respect from ppl than when im sitten at the bar wearing my cowboy boots a Beat2Sleep t shirt and a pitbull belt buckle. How you present yourself is critical remember first impressions are everything. that said
    Walking my Pit down the street with Tow chain around his neck and a pad lock as a collar with a spikey harness and a shirt that reads I dont like you go away is going to get me treated a certain way right off the bat.
    Being an Adult extends to many aspects of your life.
    Its like the clowns here that wear the shirts that say " ya youll do" or im easy or beaver cafe and crap like that does that show any respect to the girl your about to walk up and talk to.

17. jasong

jasong Big Dog

Yo Rock,

The man just lost his dog your your giving him shit. Relax a little damb. What is your prupose for saying what you did other than to make him feel bad and hurt someones feelings. Wow, some people on this forum are just plain a-holes.

18. Look, obviously everyone here knows what the "public image" is of pit bulls...evil, killers, baby-eaters, and only macho tough drug dealing scum of the earth owns them... :rolleyes: With that being said, why on earth would you walk down the street with a pit bull on a huge chain?! That's just asking for trouble, IMO. Yes it's unfortunate that things happened the way they did, but in the same sense, it's the owners fault for perpetuating the stereotype! Of course people are going to get scared, then AC will demand to take your dog, you argue with them, and people get even more scared!
    It's a shame that we have to live in a society that judges people based on their looks, but guess what? WE LIVE IN THAT SOCIETY! So if anyone learns anything from this: don't walk your dog down the street on a huge chain w/a padlock and a chain collar, or a huge spiked harness or vest, b/c you are only furthering the thoughts of some that these dogs are only for the tough macho thugs who are "bad ass" and no one can touch them! :(
    I'm sorry for the OP who had to learn this the hard way...

19. Txbkennel

Txbkennel Big Dog

whatever happened to do doing things because you like it?...people will assume what they will, even if you aren't trying to "say" anything...if i wanted to drive around in a Cadillac Escalaide with 30in. rims on it, i don't have to be doing it for anyone else...what if i just like it. should i be limited to what i can drive because of a stereotype? as long as you know why you are doing what you're doing, it shouldn't matter...BUT i know it does...

20. It's unfortunate, it really is. But it's the way some people are and it's not gonna change anytime soon. Hell, it's getting to the point where you can't even do anything nice for someone anymore. There was a person who brought their chinchillas to an elementary school for a show and tell type of thing. Someone's kid ended up getting sick (cold, maybe, or flu?) and the mother called a reporter and said that the fluffy little rodent is what made her kid sick. Ridiculous! I think adults need more educating than kids do nowadays, and to think these kids are learning from their parents... :eek: