1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

***muzzling***

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Mrsdano, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Mrsdano

Mrsdano Big Dog

<CENTER>This is for those in area's where there dogs are required to wear muzzles such as Ontario, As of October,28th 2005.</CENTER>

** MUZZLING ** requirements are sending people into panic mode! I have been receiving emails asking which muzzles are most suitable, most comfortable, and the safest for our dogs. I've included some basic information about muzzling.

Muzzles

<CENTER>Because of breed specific legislation, certain breeds are being singled out and owners are being forced to muzzle their dogs. With so many different types of muzzles on the market, it is difficult to decide which one suits your dog best. Below is a list of muzzle types and their purposes:

</CENTER>

The Nylon/Mesh muzzle
    [​IMG]
    This is a temporary muzzle to inhibit biting, control while grooming, chewing and barking, while still allowing dogs to pant. Although it is the cheapest muzzle on the market, ranging in various colors and styles, it is not meant to be used on a regular basis.

<HR>

The Wire Basket muzzle
    [​IMG]
    The wire basket muzzle is designed to protect people and other dogs from injuries and discourages dogs from biting, chewing and swallowing unwanted objects. It is the only dog muzzle that will allow for the dog to breath freely, pant and drink water. The wire basket muzzle can be worn while the dog is walking, playing or running. It is usually made from chrome wire and contains leather straps and padded lining for comfort. These muzzles also come in different styles, and some are made to be breed specific.

<HR>

The Basket Weave muzzle
    [​IMG]
    These are flexible polyethylene basket muzzles that feature adjustable leather straps and removable front grills for added access. Some basket weave muzzles are availabe in a cheaper plastic instead of polyethylene. Most basket weave muzzles are able to withstand extreme temperatures without breaking. They are similar to wire basket muzzles.

<HR>

The Leather muzzle
    [​IMG]
    These muzzles range in style, shape, color, and quality. Many leather muzzles are made to be breed specific and should be fitted to your dog accordingly. Good quality leather muzzles will enable your dog to pant and drink freely. I personally recommend leather muzzles because of their safety and comfort, as long as they have enough holes for the dog to pant and drink through freely.

<HR><HR>

<CENTER>Teaching Your Dog to Wear a Muzzle</CENTER>

The best type of muzzle to purchase is either the leather or basket muzzle (either weave or wire) which has holes through which you can feed treats and the dog has enough space to pant and drink. If the muzzle is going to be worn for no more than 15-20 minutes, than the nylon muzzles are fine.

Start off by putting a treat into the muzzle; the trick is to get the dog to put its nose inside in order to get the food. This will teach that putting on a muzzle is a good thing!

Once the dog has its nose inside the muzzle, allow the dog to tilt its head upwards in order to receive another treat from your hand. This will teach your dog to have the muzzle on by itself, without you holding onto it.

If your dog tries to shake the muzzle off or paws at it, simply take a break and try again after a few minutes. Eventually, the dog will learn that the muzzle has to stay on, and that it will be strapped into place, not held up by you.

Once your dog is comfortable enough, you can start going out on short walks...no longer than 5 minutes. If your dog tries to paw or scratch the muzzle off you can redirect the dog's attention and then offer a treat. Be sure to reward the dog each time it stays calm with the muzzle on. In order to get the dog used to the muzzle, associate it with good things, like walks and playing!

2. Judy

Judy CH Dog

Good post, and sorry for the people who have to muzzle due to BSL :(

3. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Top Dog

That's so sad that they make them muzzle their dogs.

4. Mrsdano

Mrsdano Big Dog

It's actually sickning to see, dogs that are so loving haven to walk around with muzzles.

5. Jennifer&Will

Jennifer&Will Big Dog

i have a pic of leo in the mesh muzzle in my gallery. its the most comfortable for the dog.

6. Mrsdano

Mrsdano Big Dog

We have the one like the mesh one but the mesh is solid nylon and there just black I refuse to get the one's that cover there faces like the cages.

7. Jennifer&Will

Jennifer&Will Big Dog

yeah - leo doesn't enjoy it, as you can tell from the picture, but he will tolerate it. we didn't necissarilly need to muzzle him, we just like him being used to it in case we ever have to! we dont want him freakin out so we put it on him for about 5-7 minutes every few days. he knows he gets a yummy snack afterwards!

8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I will never force my dogs to wear a muzzle. It's like forcing your children to walk around towns with their hands handcuffed behind them all because you're of a certain race or ethnicity.

9. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

they can strap a jock strap to there face,,, my dog would die from heat stroke during the summer,,,, not gonna happen