1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Multiple dog household * Tips on training

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Rojas, May 20, 2010.

1. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

Am a crazy to think my dogs can get along lol, I have a 5yr old intact male game bred pitbull and a 4yr old female spayed pitbull x mastiff , I brought Achilles (pitbull)to my home when he was 6 months old and i had filomena since puppy, I aquired the little expierence i have by owning Achilles, back then when i recently aquired Achiiles, i had a 7yr old female neo mastiff, which was the alpha bitch by the way, and would put Achilles straight while he was a pup, then the problems started, I was like most, that thougt with training and paciense i could take the DA out of my pitbull, by trial and error i knew there was only one way to contain a real pitbull and that is by a chain set up, now years have passed since i owned Achilles, and I would like nothing more than my dogs to get along, any tips on wich way to tackles this . Im really tired of having my dogs on a set up most of the time.

2. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

sometimes you can accomplish this, but it's a difficult and hazardous road. thankfully my two get along for the most part, but i can NEVER leave them unsupervised together. i learned this the hard way a few years ago.

u have to have a very strong hand and have your dogs believe that you are god before u can even think about doing this. the easiest way to start is, while on neutral turf, have a good friend or relative walk the less aggressive dog while you walk the more aggressive dog. try to walk side-by-side with the dogs on opposite sides of you and see how that goes. if they are fine, try to move them closer. but both you and your friend must have complete control at all times. this is only a starting point. your dogs will let you know if it's possible or not.

all i can say is good luck and just realize that a peaceful off-chain household is not always possible, nor probable.

3. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

if you insist, i suggest you crate train.

4. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

With gamebred dogs it is not a wise thing to do but some dogs in the hands of some owners certainly do get along. If you really wanted to do this then your best bet is to get a brother/sister from the same litter and raise them all the way up together.

5. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

bad ideal.didnt work then prob wont work now.if they dont get along then why try to force them.its just the way pitbulls are.one is just all some pep need or can handle.if your going to try good luck.you might need it.

6. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

and thats not a sure thing got one br sis that get along great got five at 8 months that dont like each other at all never have never will.

7. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Agreed, that is why I said, "It is not wise thing to do."

8. If you really insist on doing this, please never leave the dogs together alone and unsupervised ever. Which means getting thick secure metal crates, or going back to the chain set up. Watch them like a hawk all the time when they are together...

9. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

My dogs do get along to a point, its not like once they are off their chain set up and are loose,they go directly towards eachother, what they do is rough play and my pitbull is actually the one that tolerates( to a point) my bandog or when they rough play he is the one that is more passive (if that makes sense lol), what i noticed is,when they are loose they get into a full out rumble when their is live prey on the other side of the fence (cat,dead bird,live bird,dog) or when we have company and achilles gets on the jealous side and give a fight growl to my bandog and its on like donkey kong, now i do know all these symptoms are normal for the breed as they have high prey drive, again once when they are loose they will not go for their throats, they always like to play , when it gets too rough i know to separate them, I would like to train them to play nice, as you all my know its a pain in the butt having 2 or more dogs in chain setups. There are people like Cesar Milan that does believe and has many pitbulls roam free , i know these are not game bred pitbulls , but they are pitbulls non the less and they learned to get along.

10. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

if you dont know i wouldnt do it. that being saidi have very DA dogs that tolerate each other. The word tolerate is different depending on the dogs. Some can play with each other, some can be free in the house and not attack but just avoid one another. I have some that will attack others on site. You have to know you dogs, know the signs, have dogs that listen and be prepared to break up some scrapes. Crates are a must and if you have more than 2 lose at a time good luck stopping a scrape.

11. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i like at least one of them to be a puppy, but prefer them both to be, or i wouldnt even bother to try. even then personalities are gonna be the deciding factor whether it'll work.

12. I would not do it, as it is not fair to expect the dogs to go against what is natural for them. I have always had Pit Bulls throughout my life and they were all unaltered males. I never really had any problems because they were the only dog in the house and I always took extra precautions when they were out around other dogs, especially males. Right now however I have a female Choc. Lab mix that we rescued from a local shelter. I want another Pit Bull really bad right now but I am going to wait because the dog that I have right now is a little aggressive herself, needless to say she would get hurt if she tried anything with Pit Bull in the house. Sometimes you just have to put the dogs best interest first, just my opinion.

13. In my thinking the GOD phrase is the best advice I have at this time 12 mature pits NONE fight each other There is one alfa ME and me alone Im god to them no exceptions I hunt my dogs and can not have any aggression towards each other before Ho !! Big mike had nothing on me mean fight's Before when they were pups I would put the fear of god in them NEVER hitting them pound a pit an he will pound back its all about control at birth as for adult dog's eyes on at all times never let it get to a situation were they will turn on each other stop it before it starts It will take hours of sitting with them they are competing for your attention they need to feel equal in there quest to win your approval

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

wtf?....................

15. do you know any thing about bulls?????????
    Im sure you are at a total loss when it really comes down to it you may have a bull but know very little what makes a bull work all I hear is it's in there make up bull shit if you think like this you know nothing and leave a black mark on the breed get a lab !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have broke hundreds of pit's over the years and have seen your kind pull the breed down If you love the breed learn to understand them

16. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

you have "broke" hundreds? i prefer to let my dogs be themselves...no need to break them

17. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

:eek:you amuse me ha ha ha:D

18. Sorry to go off!! Let me ask you guys this question how many of YOU can drop raw meat in between your pits and have them yield to the one you name or call them in order to step up in the heat of battle when I said broke what I met was to break the years of rubbish handling by the way I have dog's in six state's guard dogs house dogs one is a drug enforcement 26 in all What experience do you have????????

19. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Is this guy serious???

20. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

decades worth, thats what i got. and an old man who had dogs also that taught me a thing or two. and that being said, aint no fuckin way in hell id drop a chunk of meat smack dab in the middle of REAL dogs. you have "pits"...i keep bulldogs