1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

monsanto agressively sues farms for saving seeds

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by old goat, Jun 28, 2013.

1. old goat

old goat CH Dog

2. Dannyb

Dannyb Big Dog

This statement is so ridiculous. From the dawn of human history until a few short years ago humanity has been able to somehow manage without genetically altered crops.

3. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

From the dawn each person fed himself and his family. Today the farmer is feeding more people than ever before on less ground. So in that sense and the increase of yields in most GMO crops my answer is still yes. Unless u recognize the fact farmers are doing more with less u will continue to be in the dark.

4. keystone

keystone CH Dog

you know round is destroying insekt's ..
    inseckt's are the future
    try a crispi one lol
    i like meat eat it cople of times a week ...absolutly not eveyday .....
    a cow have to eat 100 pounds of gras or even more to produce 2 pounds of meat
    a insekt just his own body weight ....

5. Dannyb

Dannyb Big Dog

There is more land used today for agriculture than at any point in history. A bigger yield doesn't always equate into more profit or even less overhead. Most farmers who got in bed with Monsanto will tell you they wish they stuck with the tried and true method of harvesting and storing their own seed. Unless it's some massive corporate owned farm.

And still, my point is, that statement you made about genetically altered crops being necessary is nonsense. On the whole, we produce more than we use, almost all the time. Farmers would be just fine without gmo.

6. keystone

keystone CH Dog

farmers who grow on the montains (against) grow more healthy then flat land ....;)
    because in case both are spraying ....the rain is taking a lot that shit from montain ..not al do.
    the biggest problem is that nature can't handle the speed that the world is changing ...crisis.
    it s changing normaly ..but its going a bit fast ..more fast because uuuuhh us

7. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Without GMO in areas I know of the fields would be left fallow. It is hard for me to believe there is more ground available when all I see is production ground being put into crp. I understand that china and brazil are steadily opening up more ground but do u want to leave ur future sources of food in other folks hands.

As stated before this is a one side or the other argument. Convincing either to change sides isn't gonna happen.

8. Dannyb

Dannyb Big Dog

So without gmo the land in your area turns in a barren wasteland? And nobody grew food there before Monsanto saved the day?

Many people are changing their minds every day. That's why many countries are banning a lot of Monsanto products. Even certain states in the US have started acting against Monsanto and gmo. The tide of public perception is turning against them on a global scale. Obama promised he would look into at least labeling gmo products. Like any politician he's not going to take up an issue that's not a popular one.

9. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

These areas I'm talking about had become nearly non productive before RR technology do to pigweed pressure. RR technology allowed them to put these fields back into production. Now Roundup is failing and the next option is liberty link gene. Without it these areas will have weed pressure to the point it chokes out any crop. In the cotton belt with the low price of cotton and high price of chemicals the BT gene is pretty much the only thing that allows lots of folks to raise cotton in a profitable manner. Corn suffers the same problem but not as bad as cotton. If all these countries put bans on GMO that's fine. The farmer will return to conventional crops. At that point the price will have to come up in order to maintain a potential of profitability. U will pay that price and so will I.

On the subject of Obama well I will leave that one alone. I'm sure I will start a fight over that one.

10. old goat

old goat CH Dog

they're still growing crops around here and letting it go to waste . i see the same fields year after year and they never harvest . and you know what the state owns that land . they used to pay you not to grow i bet they still do . 60 countries ban GMO's . did you even see the lab rats in the film ? why are people heavier now ? i don't know if it's GMO's but it's sure makes you think and want to eat healthy .

11. bootsbjj

bootsbjj Banned

The "we need gmo's" attitude is like saying an athlete "needs" steroids. Deep down people know it's not a good thing, but once someone is doing it everyone else has to jump on the wagon to stay competitive. Same thing with moving production to China.

The thing about Monsanto and the original post here is that their crops are contaminating non Monsanto fields and they are suing the owners of the GMO pollinated field. Monsanto is building a monopoly on seeds, and, by so doing, monopolizing FOOD. Combine a food monopoly with governments that want the people dependent on them for everything and things get ugly. It will be hard to grow your own when a cop can come by, run a test on your crop, and cut it/take you to jail for "stealing" Monsanto "technology".

Oh yeah: screw cotton. Grow hemp.

12. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Old goat they are not paying anyone not to plant crops any more. That ended with Clinton and the freedom to farm act. Why are people getting fatter? Well folks sit on their tails more. Folks eat far more junk and fast food. Labor as a whole use to be more intensive. The lifestyle of today's average person is what's packing on the pounds. No I didn't watch the film cause all it is, is a propaganda film for non GMO. Likewise I'm not gonna watch one from Monsanto. As for the crops u see left standing I can't answer that on due to lack of information. If this ground is part of ur wildlife management areas it could be left as food for animals or even bird habitat.

Look I believe like I said earlier. If u want the healthiest food u can get learn to grow it and learn to hunt and raise ur own livestock. My self I eat a lot of wild game and the wife raises a garden. My purpose for this is not ur GMO argument but cost of store bought food and the amount of handling involved before it reaches me.

In the case of cross pollination I don't believe that was the case no more than I believe I can fly. There have been farmers saving RR seed since it came out and every one of us paid for those first bags and signed agreements to not save seed. The one guy that was buying beans claiming it was for feed then planting them knew exactly what he was doing and though he was slick. I would bet he bragged about it every chance he got.

As for the jump on the band wagon angle I am not part of that group either. We resisted this on our farm as long as possible until the only way to remain profitable was to adopt the technology. We have since adopted other technology to lower inputs and most efficiently use equipment and fertilizer applications.

I could type till my fingers fall off and all it would do is wear my fingers out. Y'all have made up yalls minds and it does no good to argue. I am done with this thread. Y'all feel free to maintain y'all's opinion but I suggest u get ur hands in the dirt and get a real understanding of farming before u take every word the anti's put out in a pretty wrapper.

13. bootsbjj

bootsbjj Banned

Thanks for your perspective, shotgun. I try to make my own food, and will continue to do so. Do what you need to do to get by, like we all must. I hope that this all really is just people trying to make money from both sides, like so many things are, because the food supply is nothing to mess with.

14. Dannyb

Dannyb Big Dog

Of course the taxpayer is paying farmers not to grow. They just stopped directly issuing checks and in 2013 it's called "insurance". It can actually be more profitable to sit on your butt and let your crops go than to put in the work and bring it to market. Cotton is the most heavily subsidized... Oops... I mean "insured".

Cross-pollination is as much a reality as pollination. Gmo can pollinate non gmo crop. I believe in wind and bugs and they fly through the air. I also know people who would never touch a gmo seed but seeds and pollin travel. Monsanto has sued people for patent infringement, yet there is no record of them signing an agreement or EVER purchasing a seed.

I didn't watch any documentary or read a book. I don't need to. The focus of these companies is to get you into a product which will make you more reliant on them for another product.

In The Bible, Genesis, God give man the right to every seed bearing fruit. Man NOT Monsanto. Patenting a seed is a basic violation of God given rights. To me it's immoral. I would never and have never signed that right away.

Making seeds and replenishing the soil is part of farming. It's hard work. It's time consuming. I think it's good for people to hunt and grow their own food but for those who can't I think they should at least have the option to know if something they are consuming is, or isn't, genetically altered.

15. old goat

old goat CH Dog

s a war on for your mind!
    s a war on for your mind!

some people are getting fatter yes because of fast food but that's not the hole problem i have family that doesn't eat fast food and they are to fat . and the mom is a dance teacher lol . the crops wasted i see are not for the wildlife there's no wildlife in that area it's neighborhoods . and i still here the word profit . always remember jesus said think with your heart not your brain . just think you think with your heart you will feed everyone if you think with your brain you will only feed the ones with money .

16. Dannyb

Dannyb Big Dog

The story about them seizing the bees without his presence or a warrant is sick but not surprising.

The USDA is simply a division of these corporate cartels. They sure got rid of all the evidence. Maybe it was all an innocent misunderstanding.

17. old goat

old goat CH Dog

shotgun you said you don't care if the farmer got sued for using last years seeds . what do you say about monsanto suing because your crop got pollinated by there's ? you know there is know way around the crosses .
    Monsanto vs Farmer | The Grand Disillusion

18. old goat

old goat CH Dog

first off we don't need COTTON it wears out to fast hemp is much better . i want to know if you read what happened in cananda on the link i put up ? because what i've read should make anyone farmer or not pissed as hell . if your not then i don't know what to say lol i do but i will be nice because you may not have known about what's on that link shotgun . everyone should take the time and read the whole damn thing .

19. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Ok old goat u got me I didn't read the last 3 links all the way thru. I stopped when in the first paragraph they made statements that I know to be false. At that point all credibility is lost. People have been trying to get hemp to replace cotton for how long? It ain't gonna happen. U wanna use it go ahead I prefer cotton socks and draws. As I said I'm done with this until u go put ur hands in the dirt on a real production farm. If ur only source of info is what u read on the net u have no info. I can agree to disagree can u?

20. old goat

old goat CH Dog

shotgun i told you i grew up on farmers with my grandparents . hell they used to use a mule so i know alittle i think . that lawsuit said production did'nt go up in the info they had from the province . if you won't read it then you MONSANTO or your scared to say them monsanto ass holes . they want to tell the man 5 years after the canola was stopped being planted to not tell anyone that he found canola from monsanto seeds and got a damn gag order to stopped them . and HEMP is already growing in colorado and washington so oh it won't happen . you never even have seen how good hemp clothes are or you would'nt say you like cotton better . levis lasted longer in the 60's and 70's than they do now . what do you want cotton so it will be no good in 1-2 years . not hemp clothes you will be handing them down remember that levis lasted for years not now . you are doing what rocker fellow wanted . a working society not a thinking society . have you ever read the bible ? if you have you know the old testament tells you everything different than what your told today . you can work hard and not know how things really work if you don't read . lol so my reason today is read all you can when your not working .