1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Mill ?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by mac 11, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

What is better overall an e-mill or a carpet mill? I would rather have a slat but price is not in my budget at this time. If you can answer this can you please include the pro's and con of both. Thanks in advance Mac11.

2. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

I use both and they both serve my dogs a purpose. The carpet mill allows them to run like hell quietly but only for short periods of time due to the kidney issues. The electric mill is great cause you can all around set the pace to fast medium and slow but at the cost of noise.

Carpet mills are a little more of a pain in the ass to fix as to where electric mills are alot easier to find parts. Electric mills are not designed for dogs and need to be modified, if your not handy then that can be an issue if you are handy then no worries. I find the carpet mill holds up better to the dogs feet than the rubber that you find on the electric mill. I have yet to replace either however the electric mill is really looking beat.

Both offer a great work out, either one will serve your dog.

3. OnionHead

OnionHead Big Dog

using the e mill is like a slat kinda used more for wind you could say. the carpet mill is more of building muscle than anything else. It all depends on what you want to do. if you go with emill you could hand walk and or dragwiehgt to build the muscle.

4. BKNLS

BKNLS Guest

Exactly!! Good post

5. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

I use an emill to slow walk my dogs nothing more and have done 0 modifcatins to it.(Lucky me) I just tie a lead to both sides of the collar like reins to a horse and sit back in a chair. LOL real hard work I tell ya. Sometimes I might hang a toy, chicken leg or what not in front of them to get them to walk in the right direction and pull a little bit LOL but It works for me if you want too see how my dogs look.... Look up the thread I made about getting ready for the show and anyone that's a member here that saw the dog at the show knows what he looked like and he'll be in even better shape next month. Lord Willing.

6. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

I have to corral my dogs in, without the walls they tend to vere off of it.

7. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I thought that kidney thing wasn't true. As long as you let your dog go the bathroom first.

8. game_test

game_test Top Dog

i agree with you on the e mill in terms of wind, but i dont agree with the assertion a carpet mill is used for building muscle. i view a carpetmill as having more "drag" than a free spinning slat mill or E maill, thus creating more of an anaerobic form of excersize. that does'nt build muscle, it just conditions the muscle to work more efficiently under stress. who wants to build muscle on these dogs anyway?

9. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

In my little head this makes sence because yes a carpet mill may make the dog gain a bit of muscle at first but once the muscle adaps to the weight the dog will not gain anymore muscle just condition it. Unless you had a carpet mill that you could adjust resistance of course.

10. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

I go with the thought that it is true, no sense in learning first hand wether it be true or false.

11. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Well I have used all mills slat, e-mill,catmill and carpet mill. First you need to emptie a dog out before any work and pad tuff the feet. For the record I will say I am very fond of a catmill its hard to beat them. But the most powerfull dog I every put out was on a carpet mill. NOT the ones you see now adays this was many years ago I was babout 18 years old and was in top comp with my dog. A quite famous dog man around me Gave me his old Colby mill It was made of wood and was red. You used Jute back carpet on it with graphite dust and let me tell ya that thing spun like a top. I allways hand walk 1 hr then work I let him run it 30 min peak. and I have to say that was one of the strongest dogs I ever seen and had Great wind. So its all in what you can use. Try them all for your self ,but I will say I miss that old red colby mill.

12. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

This dog name Savito works a colby mill right now thats red but the carpet is like an off white or brownish color and thats the srongest 42 pound dog i've ever held in my life.

13. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

If you rather a slat mill then best thing to do is save up for one..a couple more months of saving and blam! You got what you wanted!

YIS

14. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

The thing I allways had trouble with slat mills are it kills the dogs feet and I allways hated how loud they are, I would like a new belt mill those look nice but I have never worked a dog on one but my boy loves his.

15. Dtwo

Dtwo Big Dog

I have the Colby mill and a slat mill. Bought the Colby at a show in MA from the man himself. I have a pic around here somewhere with Colby putting a four month old put on the mill to show how free spinning it is.
    Still, it does have more resistance than the slat mill. The Colby mill has an incline to it so they are running more up hill. None of my dogs has ever done more than 10 minutes on the Colby, as Mr. Colby has said that is all that is necessary.

The Colby
    [​IMG]

Slat
    [​IMG]

The results:
    2007 Show season
    [​IMG]

2008 Show Season - five show weekends, 3 Champion Cups and a 2nd
    [​IMG]

16. bkwil

bkwil Pup

DTWO so you just work that dog 10 min's on the mill and he looks like that or do you have regimen cause man he looks great

17. Dtwo

Dtwo Big Dog

TY bkwil - no, he has a regimen and that was at the end of a summer's worth of work.
    The mills are only a small part. He is also handwalked, spring pole, flirt pole, siwmming, and even a little fetch in there.

18. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

[​IMG]

Wow!!! That's all I can say...Wow!!!

19. NOTK

NOTK Banned

most of what im saying has already been stated slat mill is louuuuud. If you want to start a dog out going with a emill or carpet mill could be better since they are more quiet. As stated not all carpet mill have resistance some are almost free spinning. But, the best choice i would say is e-mill. You are able to build more muscle by changing the speed. Working your way up from a slow jog to full sprint then slowing down and working back up again builds more muscle than just a straight sprint. Try it for yourself walk from one corner of a room to another start out at a very slow walk to normal speed by the time you reach the other side, now turn around and walk back normal speed the entire time. It takes much less energy the 2nd time.

20. bkwil

bkwil Pup

Now at that condition to me he is perfect but what would the 2 main registries think adba i say 1st place how about the ukc