1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Mill work....

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by cms_uk, Aug 5, 2012.

1. cms_uk

cms_uk Pup

Hi Guys,

Just wondering how long some of you work your dogs on mills for?

Some may trot others may sprint, just curious as to what others do.

Before i get any comments like "walk your dog instead" My dog is walked before and after millwork.

looking forwards to your replies.

CS:vovvetliten:

2. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

It all depends on the dog. Its hard to give a set time on mill work. To me a person has to have an eye for a tired dog and enough common sense to know when enough is enough. Start them off slow and let them show you when they are ready for a longer time. I was once told to find your weight before you think of finding a dog. A fast keep can be very hurtful where a longer keep will bring the strengh and heart together. Kinda goes back to weighing the amount of feed everyday. Stick to your eye and trust your decisions. Now this doesnt work for all but ive done good with it.

3. cms_uk

cms_uk Pup

Thanks for your reply topbox.

This was just from a every day maintenance point of view. My dog is always in lean in condition, so i just tend to add an extra 5 mins or so per week.

I guess those with lots of dogs wont have as much time to spend with an individual unless there training for something / in a keep.

4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

depends on what you are training for and what the dog will be required to do...set that goal...then work the dog slowly from there allowing the dog to dictate times and sets....i personally like to use the mill with recovery in mind....i am more concerned with when he can do it again vs. how much he did today...if that makes sense...i like sprints over trots...on and off the mill measuiring the recovery time between the sets as my 'measuring stick'...the length of run time will increase as the conditioning continues and the recovery times will decrease...all the while the dog dictates these times....US1

5. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Well put slim12