1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Mill Help

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by HighCoastHiker, Aug 5, 2009.

1. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

The mill I've been using went to crap officially a few months ago, and with summer coming to an end I really need to get something soon.

Quality, bulk, ease of shipping, as well as cost are considerations. If it can't be folded or taken apart in a reasonably convenient way, I can't deal with it. This leaves me limited choices, unfortunately.

I'm wondering how people really feel about those Grand carpet mills.

I know of folks who have built their own and simply purchased Grand "big dog" belts to complete the system. With that in mind, I've been wondering if anyone has tried/true and doable plans/tips for a belt mill they might be willing to share.

Thanks for input.

2. undamineknls

undamineknls Banned

the grand carpet are good to work a dog

3. ausapbt

ausapbt Big Dog

4. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Thanks for the input. I've come across that while researching. Although I've used converted human mills, I find that all in all they don't work well for me. They tend to be too short for taller dogs to hit a comfortable stride. They don't stand up to powerful dogs and require constant readjusting. But, they can work in a pinch if your exercise goals are modest and you don't mind the aggravation.

My biggest concerns are quality, reliability and shipping dimensions.

As for your dog refusing to use it, may I ask how is the dog attached to the mill, how stable is the feel (does it rock much) when he stands on it, have you taken out all the weights/ belt tension, and what are you using for bait at the front end?

5. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Thanks for the input. They just look a little lightly constructed to me, and I was wondering what was under the belt-flat board, plexi, rollers....to make it as "free spinning" as they say.

6. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

i have heard nothing but complaints about the grand carpet mills

7. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

IE? Can you please be more specific?

8. StopBSL

StopBSL Top Dog

I know people with the Grand Mills and none have complained that I heard. Tried a dog on one once and it worked well. Not hard to get the dog to do it. . and spun well. IDK what is under the belt though. . .

9. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

materials and methods of construction not being up to par w/ price.

for another $125 you can get a carpetmill that will stand the test of time, and pass it down to your children, BUT you arent going to fold it up and throw it in the back of the stationwagon

10. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

I've got a Colby carpet mill and I'm very happy with it. You cant fold it up, but its not as heavy or as bulky as a slat mill.

11. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

If you're talking about the Colby mill, I know what you mean and agree. I've e-mailed the Colbys about their mills, but shipping for such a large item is an issue. Since their mill is individually assembled by a cabinet maker,...disassembly is not possible.

12. BKNLS

BKNLS Big Dog

I own a grand carpet mill and it is a piece of crap...Very hard turning, although you don't want a carpetmill to be free-spinning. The lifetime of the belt is not long at all plus it rubs on the floor while working the dogs accumulating a nastly dust underneath.

I ordered a Colby mill and it should be arriving in a couple of days. Honestly you get what you pay for. It cost me over $1000 for shipping across the country, but the craftsmanship of this mill will last an entire lifetime. I'll do a comparison and let you know the results.

Hope this helps

13. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Thank you much. This does help, and I look forward to the comparison info. By the way, what is under that grand belt?

14. ts-

ts- Pup

hey HighCoastHiker, whats your loc?

have some idea's for u. and i can tell some custom charges if u are going to make order at states.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  15. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

What are you offering?

16. BKNLS

BKNLS Big Dog

Well here is a comparison of the two mills...

There is none...The Colby mill is by far the best carpet mill I have ever seen. Save yourself some time and money and get one...If it means saving up for another year to make ends meet, then I would do that. This mill is the bomb...:)

If you are looking for something collapsible I would recommend RP Millmaker... I hear his mills are very nice, free-spinning, and reasonably priced!! He is located in the phillippines but is a honest guy.

17. I should have Slat Mills up and coming in about 2 months very resonable for the working man. I might get into carpet mills sometime soon after. Let me know what you are loking to spend i might can help you in a direction.

18. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Thanks for getting back on this. Appreciate the info. Shipping something that large is the problem for me.

As for RP, they're selling mills again. I've been trying to get shipping info from them with no success. I also heard they were honest folks, but, there were also reports of them just shutting down two years ago with orders unfilled and customers mad as hell-so I'm a little skeptical.

19. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Thanks for the info.

20. ts-

ts- Pup

man, if you are looking carpetmill, I definitely recommend this (not ready yet in picture),

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6eqVGH5ObU

it's the best carpetmill what I have ever seen, and cheap.

PM me if you are interested.