1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

metabolic rate

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Mr. Brownstone, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Anybody know the base metabolic rate of the average apbt. My guess is it can vary between breeds and even dogs within the same breed for that matter just as for humans. Also any idea how much spaying decreases the base rate? Really i sm looking for answers to these two questions for the most part. below i put in a little info just for some background.

I have been trying to take some weight off my 28 month old bitch. Been going slow with both food and conditioning but i been at it now this time for about a month. I got real sick like 3 months in bed sick so we both got pretty outa shape. I feel like the last time i got her in great shape within 2 weeks she was looking good. I wonder if age plays a role in this at this point even though she is still very young. Also i feed her twice a day pretty small meals but who knows maybe they are big for her? Do i really need to feed her twice a day, i just figure two small meals a day is better than one big one as like us many small meals is better than one big one as it keeps the fire burning and will increase the base metabolic rate to a degree on its own. She has always eaten twice a day and imop not just cuz she will eat. There have been times when we are not as active and she looses a bit of interest in her food however when i ramp up her activity she is very interested ever time i feed her. Anyones thoughts and opinions are welcome just like to hear what people whom really work there dogs and have many years of hands on think about this subject. Cool to talk about the dogs also on GD as it seems we all get kinda off topic sometimes. Nice to learn and be a bunch Bollocks at the same time.

2. Yas

Yas Big Dog

I don`t know the BMR of the average Pit and I don`t know if spaying changes it.

BMR is one of the four components of thermogenisis.

BMR:
    2/3 of the calories spent in a day support basic metabolic activities such as:
    Maintaining body temperature
    Keeping the lungs inhaling and exhaling air
    growing fingernails and hair
    making new red blood cells

Physical Activity
    Is the most variable of the four components

Thermic Effect of Food (TEF)
    Refers to calories that are "used up" to process food (ie. digest, absorb, transport, metabolize, and store ingested nutrients).
    The Thermic Effect of Food accounts for about 10% of daily calories.

Adaptive Thermogenesis
    These calories are spent when there is an adaptation to circumstances like, cold, overfeeding, starvation, trauma or any other stress.
    This component is much less significant than the first three.

Calorie needs vary depending on:
    Body size
    Heredity
    State of health
    Other factors

3. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I wonder is this maybe the type of info i might find in EF's book the complete GD?

4. Yas

Yas Big Dog

No idea mate.