1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Merle colour

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by j1985, Sep 2, 2010.

1. j1985

j1985 Big Dog

So my mother in laws staff pup has what seems to be Merle on her shoulders but quite faint, where would or could this have come from ? I'm pretty clued up on stbt's but I haven't come across merle 1st hand or even seen one in England tbh!!

2. chucho

chucho Big Dog

I read in some article awhile back that the merle color on the APBT was introduced by breeding the APBT to the CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG and other type of herding such as the AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG.

3. j1985

j1985 Big Dog

Yeh I thought that about apbt, it sometimes pops up in AB's for the same reason but here in england we have no catahoula hounds, the only merle dogs we have is Australian shepherds and I know that aint in her mix haha. Maybe it's a kind of throwback marking to something way back in her ped, her sire is 20" and 55lbs so definately has something else in the mix which is most likely apbt.

4. chucho

chucho Big Dog

Yeah, I really couldn't give A direct answer for the merle color.
    I just remembered reading about it. It is A stunning color pattern though.
    Maybe on of those Australian dogs humped an ancestor way back. LOL

5. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

PM me a pic. I might be able to tell you if it is merle or not. In the meantime here is an informational article on merle in the APBT:

http://abkapbts.webs.com/merleintheapbt.htm

Hope this helps. And BTW get ready for a flame-fest right Satan's kitchen. You opened up a whole nasty can or worms by even mentioning the dreaded "M" word. lol.

Blessings ...

6. j1985

j1985 Big Dog

:D Thanks I'm looking forward to it!!!

I'll get a pic when I see her next.

7. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

are you sure its not brindle?
    no matter what the self-proclaimed 'experts' say
    merle is not an apbt or sbt color, never was, never will be.
    here in the states some folks were peddling merle's as the next color fad.
    their dogs were proven to be crossbred and merle apbt's are barred from all respected registries.

8. j1985

j1985 Big Dog

I can fully imagine folk trying to sell it as the new in thing, I must see about 5 blue SBT's a week that cant walk right let alone do anything else.
    At 1st I wasn't to sure if it was or wasn't but if it isn't then it's a new kind of spotty brindle I'v never seen before ;)
    Looking for a pic now.

9. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

the blue mutts are a huge fad on this side of the pond too. the blues over here are not bulldogs they are more of a fashion accessory. the blue dogs came about when peddlers bred apbt's to show amstaff lines. the merles probably came about the same way, people breeding apbt's to a catahoula and peddling them.

10. j1985

j1985 Big Dog

I see a few nice blue staffs from Irish working lines at some working events but most are milled out pieces of shit!!

Don't get me started on those ugly ass blue hippo pit-a-pattomus you guys have over there, seeing them almost makes me glad we have bsl going on in the UK so I don't have to see any 1st hand :D

11. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

This statement is incorrect on all counts.

1: Merle was an accepted APBT color for over 100 years. Only until a color minded breeder began putting out bad dogs was it made a DQ.

2: "Some" people weren't peddling merles, one breeder was & yes, his dogs were proven to be of questionable breeding. The papers on all this man's dogs from the questionable dog were voided & merle made a DQ to keep his dogs out of the gene pool. However any merle not bred down from his line that was whelped before 2005 still has full & valid ADBA papers & the ADBA will register pups off of it.

3: The only registries that have made them a DQ are UKC, NKC & ADBA. Every other registry accepts them. And once again please remember in ADBA, pups off a merle parent can still be registered.

Here is a FAQ on merle in the APBT for anyone interested:

Abundantly Blessed Kennels | American Pit Bull Terriers

However, I will say that as far as ASTs & SBTs go, I have not heard of merle in both breeds but it was exceedingly rare.

I am looking forward to seeing a pic of this dog. :)

Blessings ...

12. popper

popper CH Dog

i havenever seen one of those hippos bulllies before. And i live in the deep south

13. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

there are plenty of hippo bullies in the "deep south", and you yourself said you have seen a couple :rolleyes:

14. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

:lolup::fighting0050::nono:............

15. Patchwork

Patchwork Big Dog

That would be considered a "phantom" merle

16. j1985

j1985 Big Dog

I still haven't been back to see her to get a pic but the rest of her body is slightly brindled it's just her shoulders where there's spots.