1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

mendelian expectation chart,any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by dogsguts, Nov 10, 2010.

1. dogsguts

dogsguts Banned

found an artical on mendelian expectation charts in an old book,i wondered if any one has working knowldge of its effectiveness?

2. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

you mean like the punnett square? I know a lot. depends on your traits. if it's simple recessive, then yeah, it works great. you can use it for other traits too, like mixed recessive. just depends on how your alleles express themselves phenotypically....

3. SRW

SRW Big Dog

Unfortunately Medelian theory is nerely impossile to use unless you know the amount of genes which affect the desired trait and its dominance. The reason why mendelian was so effective in regards to plants was because the color and shape in the seeds or plants was determined by one gene. Unfortunately that is not the same within certain traits especially one's affecting mammals. There is also the crossover affect which is not present in plants but is present in animals.

4. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

and yeah, that too. lol

5. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

It's a cat on here who kno alot about this topic!..his handle is "junebug"!!...I'm pretty sure he would love to talk to u about this!!

6. SRW

SRW Big Dog

lol, sorry

7. dogsguts

dogsguts Banned

I was actually asking for PRACTICAL uses not theory,the book the information came from was a book on boxers,and went into modern genetics within agricultural breeding practises,not plants.Im aware of the shortfalls of basing your breeding proram entirely on this.but its got 2 b a better start than just best 2 best.I have this crazy theory that the more breeding tools you have the better your chances of rapidly improving your stock,or maintaining the traits in the stock you already have.

8. culabula

culabula Big Dog