1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Meat Grinders!

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Buck E. Owens, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

So i put and Ad up for:

old, lame, or crippled animals, and got a ton of responses!!!!!:eek:

(I'd post the ad) but it gives my location away!:rolleyes:

now for you Raw feeders, do you ever find a use for a grinder, or is it a waste of money, I was thinking it would be good for making Puppy chow and Pre-Keep feed (no large bones).

What are your views on this, and I got a bag of bone meal given to me any one use this on there dogs?

The AD:

(took my info out)

<table class="viewad_images viewad_frame_tbl" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="viewad_images viewad_frame_m viewad_images viewad_frame_brand2" style="margin: 0px;"><table class="gallery viewad_frame_brand2" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="imageStack" imggal="main" align="middle">[​IMG] </td></tr> </tbody></table> <center> <table class="img-next-prev" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td class="jsonly">
    </td> <td style="padding: 0px 10px;">View larger image

</td> <td class="jsonly">
    </td> </tr></tbody></table> </center> <table class="navs" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="imageNavs"> <td imggal="thumb" imgindx="0" class="ni active" style="margin-right: 10px;"> [​IMG] </td> <td imggal="thumb" imgindx="1" class="ni" style="margin-right: 10px;"> [​IMG] </td> <td imggal="thumb" imgindx="2" class="ni"> [​IMG] </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td></tr> <tr><td class="viewad_images viewad_frame_fill"><table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td class="viewad_images viewad_frame_fill" valign="top">
    </td> <td class="viewad_images viewad_frame_bm viewad_images viewad_frame_brand1" style="font-size: 3px; height: 3px;" width="99%">
    </td> <td class="viewad_images viewad_frame_fill" valign="top">
    </td> </tr></tbody></table></td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- google_ad_section_start --> <table class="viewad_frame_tbl" style="min-width: 260px;" width="1" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="10"> <tbody><tr><td class="viewad_frame_fill"><table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="3"><tbody><tr> <td class="viewad_frame_fill" valign="bottom">
    </td> <td class="viewad_frame_tm viewad_frame_brand1" style="font-size: 3px;" width="99%">
    </td> <td class="viewad_frame_fill" valign="bottom">
    </td> </tr></tbody></table></td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- google_ad_section_start --> Will Pick Up!!!

Looking for LAME FARM ANIMALS, Making my own dog food for large yard of hounds,

Looking for Young, Old, or Unwanted, Lame Animals:
    (either from fence accidents to shipping accidents to just old age, )
    (Need Live, or Freshly Dead )

• Horses, Goats, Sheep, Cattle, Chickens, Old layers, Crippled meat birds, Lamas, Pigs, Rabbits,

• Farmers If i get notice i can be there the day you cull the meat birds too, to get rid of unwanted organs and waste.

• Turkey Farmers Too!

• Pork necks , livers, hearts, unwanted scraps.

• ***Beaver Trappers, I will take your "fresh carcasses" as well, guts and all.

as everything is eaten......

• Looking for Old Egg Layers for making puppy chow too.. Will pick up live!

also chicken necks and backbones as well from "de-boning stations" as well, I will take if possible, as when mixed with other meats they complete a balance diet for the dogs,by adding Calcium and Cartilage!

Much Thanks,

2. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

yes i am going to get one and pick up the hit deer in my area in the winter time.why let bit rott when the summer gets here when i can use it for my dogs.

3. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I put An in the free ad online in the area(kijiji.ca) 4 butchers called me, told me that i could have it all, and i intend to freeze what i don't need for a later date,

Also put an Ad for 2 deep freezers today in the free ad's, we will see what turns up?;)

I'm getting full cow hides to !!!

I had a lady ask if i could put a bag of Bone Meal to use, she said i was welcome to pick it up if i needed, with chicken hearts and liver, vanison , and half a pork side, she can't eat it all she said, she said its still good for humans if i wanted to eat it! they raised to much for the pair , her and her husband! Perfect for the dog tho!

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I'm looking for a good cheap grinder for the chickens and rabbits , bones and all!

If anyone has suggestions?:confused:

5. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I was actually looking for one when when my girl Marz had cancer and I switched her over to raw so I could do the same thing as she didn't really do good with eating the bones straight up. The ones that were strong enough to grind bone, eeeeek.... EXPENSIVE! I actually wound up talking to a guy that had a raw dog food company to find out about them and he said unless you are getting a big industrial one, they aren't worth your money if you are grinding bone. I wound up just using eggs shells powdered up in coffee grinder for the calcium. For the organs, I just got a food processor and made an ''organ paste'' to be mixed in with the muscle meat, powdered egg shells, suppliments, etc..

Just don't use the bonemeal that they use for gardening. Not for animal consumption! lol

Can you just not give them the whole animal like a ''prey model'' diet. Alot of people do that. I was never comfortable with it myself after a long discussion I had with the lady that was helping me homeopathically with Marz's cancer. She suggested the grinding as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  6. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

lowest i saw on kijiji.com, was $3000 , crushes bon4e, in cali jack s book he got one for $1200, but i want a used , older model, they would be tougher.!
    i think?

7. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

I think a meat grinder is always a asset to have, Once you have one you find so many uses for it.

I don't know a lot about raw feeding, But I could see where grinding it up for small pups might be a good idea.

8. dajuice

dajuice Big Dog

If all else fails, a few nice meat cleavers & a sharpener, along with a few good boning knives will go along way with the amount and size of the meat you will be picking up. Way cheaper then the grinder that's for sure, plus the dogs love ripping into large peices of flesh & bone, It's definitely a good mouth workout for them.

9. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Ya... those are the prices I was coming up with, too. Tried to find one second hand but no luck.

10. grinders good for making puppy food and cat food when feedin raw. ground venison and beef is good for adult dogs. but, i only use chicken for "raw meaty bone" no need for bone meal. just give em a whole chicken leg quarter. dogs cant eat load bearing beef and deer bone. so greinders are ok for some things.

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

at those price i'd have to gone take that as an L haha
    pups might just have to wait...

12. Jelet

Jelet Banned

13. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

i give half a high potency calcium capsules every other day for now, but want them to get it naturally .... cause some will take the pill, others spit it out, they all eat bones, and cartilage,....... but I've been kinda supplementing at the start, there eating 100% raw, other than the odd cup of rice, and multivitamins, fish oils, and calcium pills.

14. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I got a bunch of turkeys, so i cut in to 10 chunks, each turkey, with a (Mighter saw) and i think it splinters the bones, had Dixie, ralf a bit of bones up, (better than getting stuck) ..... so i want to make sure it good safe food for the 3mos. old pup, i got her on Canned salmon, Rice and chicken thighs, and tripe........ still worried about bones tho!!!!!:o I'm just going to thaw and cut, not saw it from now on, but i still want a grinder to make certain meals .....