1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

match weight

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by kdue, Oct 9, 2009.

1. mick73

mick73 Pup

yo can find your dogs wt when you are 1st putting them in a keep you will notice that they stay around the same wt while in work with a decent high energy feed that is, so i think they in the 70s may of had a like pre keep for 3 weeks well before they considered the wt of the dog then once the have it they are confident in it ,
    as for 1lb up or down it can would of varied on what type of dog you had i well known dogman i spent 6weeks with in penn would have his dogs 1lb over but the type he had were finishes really if i was in that era my dogs wt would vary from 38-40lb as an example with the homer jeep show homer was off his wt but still was a great one and over 3hrs. just my 2 cents

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

It's obvious Frank is 'no way involved'....s...

3. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

thank you for stating the obvious

4. NC

NC CH Dog

I was always told you run your prospective dog through a practice keep and the dog will tell you its best weight.

5. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

good post, thats the way to do it.
    just seems like a bunch of experts here giving the wrong information on something they know nothing about.

i think in todays apbt the best people to answer this question is a professional
    weight puller because they have to figure at what weight there dog will pull the best at.

why would anyone really want to know match weight now, unless your curious and want to do something you will regret for the next 20 years
    in jail.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
  6. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

those fellas get their dogs at weight for pullin, and thats it. id be willin to bet a dog that was to be matched wasnt gonna be physically the same for a pull.

7. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

hog hunting here

a fat dog cant move them boars are quick and strong

8. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

well mick, homer was and is a legend after that night because of many things. the obvious would be the fact that he had almost no conditioning due to him being a replacement. He also was four pounds lighter(1 pound lighter than he was when matched the next day) than his pit weight the day before the show with jeep. He was given water, no ringers or electrolytes at all. He was whipped before he even got on the scale. Jeeps handler released before told to by the ref which is a foul, but no foul was called due to the fact that jc already had threatened stepp before the match and was worried he would really piss him off it the show ended before it even began. Homer had his front leg broken as a result of the early release and still lasted for 3hrs 45 minutes when he died with his eyes on jeep. jc said that he had nightmares about homer. This is a classic example as to why you never give up weight. Homer was matched at 43 and his weight was 46. Had jeep went up in weight to 46 we would have been killed in under an hour. Homer was a 4x killer and thats why stepp asked to use him as a replacement dog. He thought he could whip jeep, but three pounds light is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that he traveled several hundred miles. Anyways, giving weight away is for fools.
    j

9. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

three pounds and one pound is a big difference

and plus he wasnt a fresh dog already beaten up and down

how the hell could you be so stupid

now lets say he was fresh and healthy and came in at 1 under he probly would have killed jeep even at being three under he still went 3 hours

and the loss wasnt cause of lack of weight it lies on the owners for not picking up

and bringing in a good dog that wasnt healthy

10. preme

preme CH Dog

thats why homers mouth wasnt there whenyou bring a hard biting dog down they gonna loss that punch as the match goes along...

11. mick73

mick73 Pup

yep thats right hell of a dog did here the story from the man when staying with him have always had a spot for his line he told me that he would bring the dog 1lb over but the man knows his dogs and posssibly would vary on there style hich i agree with 100% you really must know your dogs its the main reciepe

12. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

only a dumbass gives weight...giving weight is as stupid as being proud of owning a dead game dog. in that phrase 'game' is not the operative word, remember, it's dead that is key. 'giving' is one step away from being on the top of dumbass hill...s....

13. scooter

scooter Big Dog

Hypothetically speaking, I think I could manage to go uphill a pound if I knew my dog well enough and knew he was for a fact in top peak condition. (Especially if I had an ELI dog :D)

14. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

what if the other dog was just as bad and one lb up on you. Thats the point.

15. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

thank you JJJ....why this is even being argued is beyond me:confused:

16. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

pre 76 if you can't bring one in on wt then just play OTC. there ain't nothing wrong with that. Hypothetically the only way i would give up anything is if i got the odds i want like 3/1. 1lb has got a lot of good dogs killed. if you can't bring one in right you have no business bring one anywhere.

17. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

BEN, OTC is for backyard kids and is really bs. If you cant do it right, don't do it at all.

18. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

that's bullshit judge. there's been more then a few dogs that been OTC in a wt called match. & there's ben more then a few OTC that's been better then a wt match.

19. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

they fight cocks in oz. fellas i wouldnt have ever ever ever give up more than 3 oz.

20. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

fact is pointing a dog or cock is a SKILL. It takes a trained eye and hundreds and hundreds of hours of hands on with your animals.

I believe this 100%.