1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Manbiters whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by rayne_terror03, Feb 13, 2009.

1. craftwork

craftwork Pup

i agree with simms thanks!

2. venom

venom Top Dog

As long as he don't bite me LOL
    but seriously, I would not breed a man biter... but I would definitely keep him as long as I did not feel he was a danger to any one while in my control.

3. craftwork

craftwork Pup

hes not a man biter at all hes people friendly i really think it was the heat of the moment
    thanks for the advice

4. craftwork

craftwork Pup

i had some thick fleece line gloves so that saved my hand from more damage.

5. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

I'd bet that anyone who has broken up enough dogs has been hit by a tooth a time or two. If the dog avoids making the same mistake again, I'll keep it. If the dog keeps going up my arm, I don't keep it.

6. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I have a question for the old school dogmen , more than the new school.

If you got a man-biter are they destine, to through man-biters when bred?, or is this just a theory some one thought of....

cause I've seen good dogs through man-biters too,Protective dogs, and fearful-biters.

cause i'm pretty sure, you could get a man biter to produce good dogs, if raised accordingly, away from where they could get a bad habit like man biting, snapping, food aggression issues.... and so on...

7. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

good answer right there......;)

8. simms

simms CH Dog

That is the Nature vrs Nuture debate.
    There are plenty of good producing dogs in the past that were labled as "manbiters". When the truth be told and not stretched that the vast majority of them just required special handling, don't like no monkey buisness. After all, all dogs bite.

9. CTG

CTG Big Dog

the only answer is right here. maruccio nailed it.
    [​IMG]

10. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

no buck i don't believe there is a HA gene that get passed down. & for the most part it all comes down to what you can live with.

11. Boze

Boze Top Dog

OK AND SOME OF THE GREATEST BULLDOGS WERE FRIENDLY AS HELL SO WHAT DOES THAT PROVE keeping a dog that is human agressive is retarted and there is no need for it why keep a winning man biter when you can keep a friendly winnerin my opinion any dog that bites has a defect and is not a sound dog and not worthy to be called a bulldog there were thousands that did not bite

12. BullDozer

BullDozer Top Dog

Gorilla - that is what you are doing though - beating a dead horse. Let the folks that believe they would cull a truly special one continue to believe that. Most of them don't even cull their curs to be talking about talking about culling HA winners LOL. The truth is sure most novice dog owners should be culling their HA dogs because they can barely handle their pet type dogs. HA behavior has nothing to do with what I cull or breed for so I certainly am not going to cull for it just as I would not breed for it. It is a trait that is not correlated with the desired traits I am looking to obtain in a bulldog. Therefore it has nothing to do with the culling process.

13. CTG

CTG Big Dog

im gonna bury the 1 sitting on the chain trying to get me. thats the REAL MANBITER.

14. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i dont think there is a gene for HA but some breeds are meant to take people down so its a tricky subject. just to be safe i wouldnt breed a man biter unless my dogs werent gonna leave my yard EVER!!! Otherwhise the dog would have to be one that would change the game. I just feel liuke you have the potential to do the breed more harm then help by breeding man biters, eventhough i dont really believe that its bred in the dog. Something is passed from dog to dog or certain breeds wouldnt be more aggressive than others....

15. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

I've seen one recently that comes off as a man biter, thats more then i want to see
    a real one who needs it not the PB breed

16. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I had to ask.... I've been wondering what others thought of it....

Thanks Ben

17. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Every single physical or mental trait of a dog can be passed down to its offspring.
    Saying that drive/gameness is inheritable but human aggressiveness/unstable temperament isn't makes absolutely no sense. None at all. Of course those traits are inheritable. However, just because a dog is HA does not necessarily mean its pups will be. After all, if all genes were reliable passed on and expressed all of the time everyone would have an ace by now.

Some genes are recessive. Sometimes knowledge and nurture can mitigate a problem personality. In such cases, breeding that exceptional manbiter here or there and watching the offspring for signs is one thing. However, you breed a daughter back to that HA sire, and start doubling/tripling/quadrupling up on certain dogs in the ped and that unstable/human-aggressive temperament is no longer an occasional abberation, but a recognizable quality of the majority of dogs in the line. Come on now. Who are we kidding here?

18. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

but that's if you breed that tight!, and don't weed out the bad!, like you would in any beeding.. i have a human aggressive(more protective, great other than that male ) , I'm just getting opinions before, he is ever considered to be bred down the line.....and considered a right off breeding wise....

we wouldn't bite you in the heat of a fight..... or unpredicted...or provoked ..
    good with kids....

but very protective, is the reason i ask, how big of an issue is it that it (the unwanted gene) will defiantly be passed, the pups would never leave my yard, i want good dogs from this guy later..... And am willing to feed and house all pup,....

this practice frowned on?:confused:

19. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

good post hiker

buck, if you watch the pups and cull accordingly or just realize it was a bad idea and do the responsible thing i dont see the harm in it. i would just be careful who i gave let have a dog and prob wouldnt give up any pups

20. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

I agree. That was a great post.

I also agree here. I think If someone bred a HA dog it would be fine as long as you kept all the puppies (which most wouldn't do) and cull'ed any of the dogs who had the HA trait and they wouldn't be for public sale. I think it is fine to keep one as long as you can control your animal in certain situations, if not then I would cull because if you can't control it then it can be extreme danger to the public.