1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

SC: Man gets 10 years for dragging dog behind truck

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Vicki, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

GREENVILLE, S.C. - A South Carolina man received the state's maximum penalty for animal cruelty after being found guilty of dragging a dog behind his truck for 2 miles.

Circuit Judge Letitia Verdin sentenced Roger Dennis Owens of Greenville to five years in prison Tuesday for ill treatment of animals. Owens also received another 5 1/2 years for habitual traffic offenses.

Prosecutors told the judge that Owens dragged a pit bull mix behind his truck for at least 2 miles in Marietta on Nov. 29 and kept going after witnesses tried to get him to stop.

"This is one of the cruelest things that I've seen since I've been on the bench," Verdin said.

Witnesses reported seeing the dog tied to an open truck bed with her front paws on the gate while her hind legs were dragged across the road, said Assistant Solicitor Julie Anders. The dog was running, trying to keep up with the truck, which was being driven at a high rate of speed, Anders said.

Two witnesses pursued Owens, following a trail of blood on the road until they found the dog, abandoned, with severe injuries. Anders said.

The dog, now named Andra Grace, was taken to a veterinary clinic wrapped in bloody blankets, her bones and tendons exposed, Cynthia Sarachino told the judge. She is an animal rescue volunteer who was at the clinic when the dog was brought in.

"She was and is an innocent, good and gentle creature that did not deserve this heinous act," Sarachino said.

A fundraiser was held to help pay for the dog's medical treatment. More than $16,000 was donated. She has since been adopted.

Owens' attorney, public defender Elizabeth Powers Price, said her client has cared for dogs his whole life but had been drinking that November day.

"He was not in his right mind," Price said. "He has a drinking problem."

She told the judge that Owens, an auto mechanic, panicked after realizing what had happened and left the dog on the road.

Verdin had little sympathy for the defendant.

"About the best defense you can put up about what you did on that day was that you were driving drunk," she said. "It's just horrible."

[​IMG]
    Current photo of Andra Grace / Provided

by Anna Lee, The Greenville (S.C.) News July 16, 2014

Man gets 10 years for dragging dog behind truck | Pacific Daily News | guampdn.com

2. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

3. david63

david63 CH Dog

Stupid ass.

4. Jefferson

Jefferson Big Dog

He is stupid, but that dog was his property. He can do what he wants with his property including fighting the dog.

5. amistad

amistad Big Dog

Just because the dog was his property don't give him the right to drag him that way. People get this idea it's my property I can do whatever I feel like to it wrong,wrong, wrong. If I saw that happen in front of me I would step in and stop it.

6. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

LMAO Holiday roooooooaaaaaaaaddddddddd, werent there already a thread on this story? CYA your breaking your own rules LOL.

7. Jefferson

Jefferson Big Dog

Well then how do you use properly rights to defend other uses of animals then? They either are property I can do what I want with or they are not . You are an animal rights extremist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. amistad

amistad Big Dog

Here we go with the "label's". I'll keep it short this dog's were bred for competition not dragging.

9. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Animals ARE considered property by the law and have little to no legal rights of there own.

The problems arise when the human groups make up there own damn anti cruelty laws. The more anti cruelty laws they make the less rights we have because it TAKES away from our rights. Did you know there are some groups that want to ban weight pulling because they think a dog pulling a lot of heavy weight is unnatural and cruel to the dog? See what I mean about taking away our rights as cruelty is in the eye of the beholder.

The ironic part about this bullshit anti cruelty law is that you cant drag a dog behind your car but Scientist can legally use animals for experiment testings which most often lead to the animals death while being subjecting to physical and mental torment and sufferings.

Also lets not forget that we eat animals including a lot of the animals babies. What do you mean we eat animals babies? Where do you think eggs are? Thats right chicken babies mmmm mmm good LOL.

You see all that humanly slaughter for consumption is all bullshit because the END result is ALL the same it ends up on your plate LOL.

Its also bullshit how they regulate which animals can or cannot be eaten even when there is no real law against it (hence why certain states are now trying to pass that law making it illegal to eat dogs or cats in your own private home) its just mainly considered taboo or frowned upon.

People in China, Korea, Phillipines and other third world poor countries eat dogs and cats on a regular basis and some consider it a delicacy.

Due to population change in American everything is more diverse now and when you have a lot more people from other countries living here they will bring there cultural practices with them.

Animals labled as PESTS (cockroaches, insects and rodants) are not subjected to anti cruelty laws as I am sure every single person in the world has killed a cock roach or ant in there life time including those human animal activist. LOL

There is a growing popularity in the mini pot bellied pig as being a pet , pretty soon we will not be able to eat pork anymore too huh? LOL.

Well Im done that was just my little eye opener for yawls as I am trying to Unbrain wash the brain washed people LMAO.
    ou have a lot more people from other countries living here and coming over here, and they bring their culture with them. - See more at: Eating dogs and cats would be banned if bill passes state Senate

ou have a lot more people from other countries living here and coming over here, and they bring their culture with them. - See more at: Eating dogs and cats would be banned if bill passes state Senate

10. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Shon or Vicki can you change the time limit on Editing posts so people can correct there mistakes , instead of having to ask a mod to do it thanks.

11. amistad

amistad Big Dog

Thank you for clearing that up for me, man do I feel like an ass. Maybe we should start a dog dragging club or something as long as we are the owner's of said dog's. LOL

12. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

This is what you dont get, in a Animal rights activist eyes dog fighting is just as cruel or worse then dragging a dog behind a truck hence why both actions are ILLEGAL with dog fighting having a seperate higher penalty then the normal anti cruelty laws being a federal offense.

13. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Yes, the dog was his property but the "property" felt the pain of being dragged. The dog wasn't a fucking piece of furniture.

14. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Very good points Saiy! Some of y'all (^^^above me^^^) need to read what Saiy said and think about it. Very true.

15. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Y'all got it all wrong, dogs are property and treated as such by law enforcement personnel only. They can shoot at your animal all day long for no apparent reason but you can't run your dog from vehicle, its a sad world we live in.

16. Michele

^^^^^^^^^I read it.....

17. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

This has happened on accident before and I am not saying this is the case here...I know a dude that worked construction and had his hound chained to the bumper of a travel trailor where they were staying and repo man shows and takes the teavel trailor and yes dog still chained to the bumper..And also this dude is a complete dumnb ass way before this incident.

18. treezpitz

It's easy to hear one side of the story and assume the guy knew about the dog being dragged. I highly doubt he did it on purpose, assuming he had no mental issues. Just doesn't seem like something a person in their right mind would do. Especially in broad day like that. It's possible the dog jumped out of bed and the guy didn't know that.

19. Michele

He was drunk....a drunk asswipe that killed his dog..

20. treezpitz

Seriously, go back where you normally are. We enjoy peace and quiet around here. Keep that drama over there.