1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Malnourished dogs rescued during raid (Pit Bulls)

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by mastiffsj, Feb 6, 2009.

1. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

http://www.state-journal.com/news/article/4521063

A Franklin County couple have been charged with animal cruelty after officials removed 11 pit bulls from their property - leaving nearly 50 dogs behind.

Sandra Coy, 52, and William S. Coy, 44, both of 3387 St. Johns Road, were served Sunday with multiple misdemeanor cruelty to animals charges after Franklin County Sheriff's deputies and animal control officers raided their property Dec. 14.

According to Sheriff Steve Clark, the Coys had more than 60 dogs at their property when officers received complaints that barking dogs were chained in the Coys' yard.

Clark said 11 malnourished animals, two of which ultimately died from their treatment, were taken from the Coys' property in December.
    Nearly 50 animals remained at the property, Clark said.

The Coys have an unlisted telephone number and could not be reached for comment.

No one answered the door at their St. Johns Road residence Thursday, though dogs could be heard barking inside and they were pawing at a window partially obscured by a Christmas tree.

A barking German Shepherd was chained to an outbuilding on a sliding lead that crossed a frozen creek.

Numerous other dogs, pit bulls included, were chained to buildings and near dog kennels in sub-freezing temperatures.

Court documents said county animal control officer Kevin Caudle described the dogs as "malnourished" and "in poor condition."

An animal control official declined to comment on the investigation into the Coy's treatment of their animals.

A 2007 article attributed to Hardin County's News-Enterprise posted on the Web site www.pet-abuse.com says the Coys have walked this road before.

The article says they agreed in August 2007 to leave Larue County and not return with animals for two years after they were charged there with 12 counts of animal cruelty.

LaRue County officials confiscated 37 pit bulls, a German Shepherd and eight puppies from their property, the article says.

A dog was found dead on its chain when officers arrived at their property.

The article says 11 of their dogs died after they were housed in a Taylor County animal shelter, either from attack from other dogs or disease.
    The Coys received six months jail time in the matter, which was probated for two years, the article said.

According to meeting minutes posted on city Web sites, Sandra Coy addressed city council members in Ludlow, Taylor Mill and Crestview Hills in 2005 concerning dog breed bans.

She decried breed-specific bans and vicious dog legislation at local levels, the Taylor Mill minutes said.

Coy was identified as chairperson of Responsible Dog Owners of Eastern States at the Crestview Hills meeting.

Coy and her husband are set to appear in Franklin County District Court Feb. 24.

2. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

There's some people by me that leave their leopard merle dog out even when it was -7 yesterday morning. I don't know how it survives with that cold.

3. what state was this in?

4. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

It was in Kentucky

5. game_test

game_test Top Dog

the same way all the other animals that live outside do.

how do cattle survive? how about sheep and other livestock? i dont think dogs are any different. so long as they are cared for then i have no problem with it.

6. New2Game

New2Game Pup

you're joking right?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  7. crazycooter

crazycooter Top Dog

new2game? so husky's and like are being treated bad because they can't make there own shelter?

8. game_test

game_test Top Dog

hold your horses there pal, what the fuck did i say, so long as they are properly cared for( house, bedding, water, feed) i dont have a problem keeping dogs outside, IMO they are no different than any other animal. people making it sound like dogs cant make it outside in the cold need to wake up, plenty of other animals live outside and they are fine.

read my post properly before you start talking shit.

9. game_test

game_test Top Dog

nice try i read your retarded ass reply before you got a chance to edit it.

10. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

First off you can't buy into this BS when the media reports about APBT's being taken. It has been shown time and time again that Media is full of Shit! Don't believe a word this story says unless you know the person or were there. We all know they lie to make it sound like it was horrible conditions. They said 11 dogs died, I bet if AS had not picked up the dogs they would still be alive. Look at the TNT case. The media report said 4 dogs died at AS. The dogs fought to the death in the kennels at AS because they didn't have the brains to separate APBT. But that never made the paper. It's said that they cannot report the truth but it's all in the effort to raise money for HSUS, PETA, and SPCA's.

Dogs do just fine outside with the proper set up. When it gets really cold like 0-F you see they get brought in. Again this is when it's done right. If the dog didn't have proper shelter it would not survive till morning. I personally never leave my dogs out but know many great dogmen and women that do it and they are just fine.

11. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

If people have dogs dying out on their chain spaces then they aren't taking good care of the dogs, unless the dog died of old age.

12. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

well, some of us here know her, and this was not the first time they have had troubles. i think deep down Sandy is a good person who believes she is doing the right thing-but she obviously has gotten overwhelmed. 60+dogs is tough for 2 people to care for. she has a very big heart and genuinely loves her animals-i have seen that first hand. she is also very involved in legislation and such- but there are only so many hours in the day, something has to give at some point.

13. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Rallyracer
    at least you know her and the situation. Always sorry to hear when someone gets overwhelmed.

14. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

I trust you when you say they are good people who are being badly portrayed and may have become overwhelmed. But each of us needs to remember, especially those who choose to be publicly active, that what we do is strictly scrutinized. If we want the public to see us as responsible, we have to make sure we are not only doing it right but also look like we are doing it right since not everyone is going to bother to informed but will just jump on the drama bandwagon. JMO

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  15. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

Actually I have met Sandi several times, and I have seen some of her dogs. This is not the first, second, or even THIRD time she has been in trouble concerning her dogs. I don't know about anyone else, but if I had just one run in, I would damn sure be on my toes to make sure my ass (AND MY DOGS) was covered, but that's just me.

16. New2Game

New2Game Pup

cool you saw my thread. i decided to be a little more polite.

your talkin apples and oranges. first you reference cows and sheep which have extremely thick skin and coat. then you talk about if theyre properly cared for. theres no correlation because youre referencing domestic animals which dont require any care for survival in the winter.

you should have just said...... as long as their well cared for. the first part was pointless

also, what a loser..you managed to check the post within the minute it took me to change it. get a life

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009