1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Male vs. Female

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Bailey, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Bailey

Bailey Pup

Is it a trait of all male dogs to be submissive to females unless a female is very offensive in a way as trying to hurt the male. What about the age difference? Would a young dog be submissive to an older dog and if so what is the general age to aggression ratio? Do females really have more fire in them than males?

In general are females more or less likely to be dominant in comparison to males?

2. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

Hmmmm....In my case Gemyni's the youngest(7 mos. old) and Legend's the oldest(16 mos.old). Legend lets Gem walk all over him to a degree. Sometimes Gem will push the envelope and he'll have to let her know who's the boss of the dogs. When I had my female GSD(7.5 yrs old) she had no problem letting BOTH of them know she's not tolerating Sh*t from them so dont cross her wrong. lol. I havent seen Gem being dominant toward Legend. Now Gem is my little hellian and has no problem being a hellraiser and Legend's more laidback but is dominant w/ other dogs(first few minutes of meeting a NEW dog after that he's cool) where as Gem could care less about other dogs other then Legend, unless you shove them right in her face. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  3. My boy Zane is just over a year old.My friend has a female 3 months younger.They play pretty rough with each other, but Zane lets Stormy dominate him lol.I dont know about other dogs yet...hes just playfull.I havent ever seen him get mean towards any other dogs, but hes only been around one other male and that was my moms lab whos proly8-9 years old.No threat there....not to mention the labs fixed.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Most of my dogs don't care. If challenged, even in play, by another of the opposite sex, there is no "letting that one win" or "letting that one dominate." I've got males that could care less if it is a male or female & females that think the same thing. The only time my males will play nicey-nicey to a female is if the female is in heat.

I personally think this is more of an individual dog personality trait & not an overall sex-specific one.

5. RedNoseProdigy

RedNoseProdigy Big Dog

I agree with Miakoda. Dogs are like humans when it comes to this. Some Men won't hit a woman even if she punched them in their face....then some men will hit a woman if they say the wrong thing...same with dogs....it depends on the dog....My Male won't mess with puppies or females....he just ignores them..with males 6 months and up he is down for anything...My female will try any male when she first meets them and if they back down or dont show any kind of Dominace she is neva gonna respect them and therefore try to mess with them any chance she gets...show dominace and she chills...but females and puppies don't stand a chance...she won't even let a male breed with her...heat or no..but she is fine with my male(her brother).....So i guess it depends on your dog

6. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

My male and either one of my females will play nice when I am with them, and usually my male lets them, what I call 'play win', but I've let them go out to do their business by themselves and I watch from inside and its a totally different story. I can't leave them all alone together without me their, and its getting worse even when I am there I have to hold someone.

7. Bailey

Bailey Pup

What about males pups to adult females and vice versa. Are pups more likely to submit to adult dogs and if so then would that mean the pup doesnt have the potential of living up to it's heritage? I know it's hard to tell at a young age, but would the pup be harmed mentally if hurt by an adult dog. I'm talking a few years in age difference.

8. Bailey

Bailey Pup

^^^^^^^^Any educated answers or guesses?^^^^^^^^

9. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Yes, the vast majority of young pups will submit to an adult dog. It is a lesson their momma taught them....to respect an elder. Although young pups will play hard with an adult dog, & will act out it's dominance, it's only play behavior. All young animals will act out their dominance through play behavior towards adult animals. And most adult animals put up with it. However, adult animals are also known to put the youngster back in their place when they cross the line.

As far as being able to judge a pup's actions & demeaner as an adult through puppy behavior, I don't think it's an accurate technique. I've seen some very submissive pups who almost seem weenie-like turn out to be hot, hard hitting dogs. And I've seen some hot acting pups turn out to be bumps on a log. A pup is just a pup & we should let them act & behave like such. I don't put any extensive thought into the dog until at least a year old (& I prefer to sit on them even longer).

I'm not sure if a pup can be harmed mentally by an adult dog, but it sure can be harmed physically. NEVER leave a puppy alone with an adult dog.....ever.

10. Bailey

Bailey Pup

So whats the general maximum age a dog is still considered a pup? I've heard two years. I personally believe a dog is an adult once they aren't clumsy.

11. In my case, Bruiser will submit to all females... but Bruiser is a puss.... Some males dont care what sex it is, they wanna go... unless there is a piece of a** in it for them.... I guess it all depends on the dog.....

12. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I call any dog a year old & younger a "pup". However, once a dog reaches sexual maturity (males aroun 6-8 months & females around 7-12 months), their behavior starts to drastically change as their bodies & minds are maturing.

However, I don't consider a dog (speaking of APBTs here) full grown until 2 years of age & I've even had a few that changed quite a bit from 2 years to 3 years of age.

13. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

I am not sure but i dont really think the pup would be harmed mentally because nine out of ten times the pup is ussually getting what it desereves.I know i have been disscussing chloes behavior problems and when she gets into it with joe she really goes after him,but with the pup izzy she will get after her but never hurts her.The same with joe and Iz he will snap at her but she is really just scared more than anything then she gets over it in a few minutes and goes right back to annoying the sh!t out of them and she always deserves it!

14. remember no 2 dogs sre the same so dont apply rules from one case to every one.

15. Bailey

Bailey Pup

Some do possess similar traits and I feel like maturity is an appropriate topic that doesnt go on a case by case basis, but remember I'm asking for the general age.

BTW, my male who is 7.5 months has submitted to 2 older females. One female was only 1yr older and the other was 4.5yrs older. However he will not take shit from any males. He sees a female and he just pulls to get close to her thats it. When he sees a male, he turns flips, whines, growls, barks, his haclkes raise.

16. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

As Mia said, a pup isn't truly an adult until around the second year, as the first two years of a dog's life is the approximate equivalent of the first eighteen to twenty-five years of that of a human, depending on the size of the dog (larger dogs mature faster).

Every male I've ever had would hit a female just as quickly as it would another male, and I've had 3-month-old pups who thought they could eat their mother.

As far as pups being mentally damaged after being hurt by an adult dog: It can most definitely happen, and frequently does.

17. Pits_Rock

Pits_Rock Pup

Another factor no one has spoken about is whether or not your dog is fixed. Zeke has been a firecracker since he was born (his registered name is "Hannibal" because he shook a littermate to death at 5 weeks old), but since we got him neutered, he has calmed down A LOT! He has never submitted to another dog though, male or female. Now Kila and Jade will submit to him and to each other, but they are also the only two that have gone full on in a fight. It really depends on the dog and it's environment. And yes I think a pup can be mentally "abused" by an adult dog. Jade was left in a kennel with two older dogs and she is still very timid of elder dogs, but will perk right up and challenge any pup her age or younger.

18. how does fixing a dog determin how it matures. I dont see this.

19. jaybird

jaybird Pup

depends on the dog i have had a male that once he turned 6months he tore into my two 1/2 year old female at 8 months I had to give her to my dad because he was going to kill her, but i had another male that got along with his mother for years with know problems, granted the first two couldnt be around another pit with out tryin to get at it and the second two were laid back in their personalitys.