1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Low Quality Food the best option. Really?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Phillip, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Phillip

Phillip Pup

We know all dogs are different. As are humans. However, how do you feel feeding your dog a low quality kibble if he does the best on it?

Example: I have feed my dog, pre-made raw, orijen, totw, and his coat appears to do the best on Purina (the cheapest green bag one you can find at a grocery store). I am not sure if the high protein foods w/ no grains are just too much or what. His "stud tail" for the first time started to go away and the staph he has on his underbelly is going away as well.

Thoughts?

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

my dogs coats looked great on purina but they didnt have the same energy nor was it as easy to cuut fat. just add supplements to help the coat, your dog isn't gettin proper nutrition on corn and grain based dogfoods

3. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

Chicken noodle soup with a soda on the side lol

4. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I feed raw now and had the same and best results with ProPlan myself! The ingredients list isn't the greatest but my dogs did great on it for some reason or another! For "peace of mind" I did switch.

YIS

5. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I thought my girl did fairly well on Innova she had that since she was a pup until she was around 1 and a half. Then when I barely had became a member on this site I was wondering about the benefits of innova evo since it's suppose to be pretty close towards feeding a raw diet and was pretty much convinced to just switch to raw. As far as I am concerned she does look much better but also she was younger while she was on kibble. She hardly has any of that extra fat any longer and her coat has always looked fine as well, it has become a bit shinier and softer since on raw but overall her energy level and decrease in water have really shown. Of course you can't just feed the best quality food and not incorporate the right amount of exercise as well to really get the benefits of everything that is your key. I personally feel like raw is truly the way to go, more of that natural stance for both my mind and the dog's mind/body.

6. cutt

cutt CH Dog

Our fam, has been feedin Purina (green bag) since the 80's.. Kibble is overated IMO...If it aint broke, theres no need for fixing.. Its nice to know others are feeding aswell with no problems..

7. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

But cutt unless the food you have now has changed it will never break. It doesnt mean there are not better advances every year these days.
    Elite athletes are getting better and better every year as we produce better equiptment and learn more scientifically about the body and the fuel it needs.

the reason people dont beleive in the better brands of kibble is simply because they dont understand squat about them.
    they are not steroids it is a diet which for the best benefit should be fed for the entire life of the animal in question, it is a scientifically proven fact, that a dog which has its entire life fed on the same premium brand, will live on average two years longer than one with out. For a regular everyday house pet with kids and family two years longer is a long time.

never met a bulldog owner who allways feeds the better brands but i have met fellas whom allways buy better for conditioning a dog.
    the biggest thing to take into account is the amount being fed per animal. 99% of people starting to feed better brands are "to smart" and over feed because the amount they are supossed to looks no where near enough compare to the cheap shit they have fed in the past.

i am sure its not the entire reason behind it but i am sure its part of the reason that when i had friends dog farmed out on my place the dogs at my place lived longer.

at the end of the day do what works for you and your dogs, i am suprised at how many people here swear by cheaper brands, and i would love to give them a shot but we dont have them here.

8. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i do diamond naturals, good food and cheap! lol

9. cutt

cutt CH Dog

No argument there and I agree on the change of the diet when during conditioning, however I have "heard" success with no change of diet during conditioning as a metter of fact it was with Ol'Roy too..lol

I even know of a 16yr old dog (on his last), on puree/ground Purina.. lol

10. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

I could never feed a low quality kibble, I dont care how shiny the coat gets. In fact, I will never feed kibble again. ;)

11. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

A decrease in water consumption on a raw diet is normal. However if energy levels are low you need to increase fats and oils.

12. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

my other dog a shiba inu mix I fed Iams his entire life because I thought it was such a good brand at the time and that was all I ever fed him he passed away at the age of 10. His death was a poor one though he deteriorated rapidly the vet told me he was lacking many nutrients causing his immune system and his blood cell counts to become weak and weaker in a rapid manner once he finally did become ill. I am not saying the food itself caused him to die but I feel strongly confident to make the assumption that all the grains and corn finally caught up with him. I guess it may depend on the individual dog but I feel very promised with feeding my girl raw as of now. I am not cheap either when it comes to the nutrition of my dog as long as I know it's a better option and I feel confident enough to give it a shot.

13. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I strongly agree with both statements ;):)

she does consume water still and I give her flax seed oil in her feed but thanks scratchin I will keep this in mind if I notice any decreased energy.

14. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

The reason for the decrease in water consumption when feeding raw is because Raw foods have 50-70% water in em while kibble has very little water in it.

Although the Purina proplan performance formula doesnt rank high on that good quality kibble ingredient rating thing , it has shown to work with good results even better then most of those other so called high ranked kibbles.