1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

loses weight during travel

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Dream Pits, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Anyone else experience a dog who loses a few pounds when traveling. I let her heavy and she still looked railed out when I arrived.

2. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

A friend on facebook had posted some pics before and after to show how traveling can really stress a dog out the pictures were astonishing dogs in a keep that are being transported for a show around the world in top notch shape prior to travel and upon arrival in just a few days they look as thin and weak as rails. I never knew how much traveling could affect a dogs overall apperance and weight until I saw these pictures. And according to what he explained is traveling can indeed stress a dog out to the point of them loosing weight and becoming sick things that are sometimes just outside of your control and make it challanging on the handler and the dog. It was def interesting to see and very tough for these guys who travel all around the globe with their hounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2013
  3. old goat

old goat CH Dog

your loosing water and when you travel the a/c is sucking them dry .

4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

it happens in the winter as well. Riding in a car, in a crate is not natural. A dog can burn nervous energy on along drive. Even id the AC is on or if they are shivering it burns energy. A two hour car ride can be as much as two pounds. It is also an old school trick. Dogs will be ready at 9. You get shitty directions or the hangout changes. After the two hour ride you are light. ADVANTAGE- Hometeam.

5. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

It's a norm....like people some travel better than other's,some will sleep their way thru the journey,,others pant+stress to they get out, all burned up...i put in crate and throw an old blanket over it,to try and keep calm....had 1 lad,used to curl up on the floor passenger side and sleep all the way thru and get out shake him-self an be fresh as a daisy.............

6. yerichoffpits

yerichoffpits Big Dog

the last days befor traveling gives the dog some more food than normal, stop every 2-3 houres to walk the dog out and give some food to the dog. Train the dog by sitting in the car so he wond be stressed up.

7. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I have had several dogs ( all males ) that do not do well with traveling. They throw up constantly, diarrhea, excessively drool and act all sketchy when in a car, wierdest and most annoying thing to have to deal with. They look totally empty when we get to where we are going. Redrum and Charlie are both like that.

8. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

yeah i was moreso just curious if there is much more you can do other than bring the dog a little heavy and arriving early to get the back here it needs to be.

9. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

Had a bitch once that would just dig driving in the car, would sit on the passenger seat and watch where we were going.

10. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

There ARE plenty of suplemends and tricks to minimize weight and fluid loss!!. Dogs that get car sick ore get travel schock as we used to cal it. benefit very wel when wearing a ""thunder""shirt. In combination with / vetsearch recharge / EZ calm /G-Sport hydrated drink for performance dogs / Stress Dex / .......

11. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

I have known this to be common with certain dogs..i know sometimes the crate trips tend to dry em up..

12. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

that's about it......get to your destination's hotel a day or more early and hope you're close to your destination. like slim12 posted some folks are underhanded and send you on a goose chase for where you need to be.

good thread btw.

13. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Very common. Some are better on car rides than others but you're going to lose weight regardless. Depending on the distance you're traveling you may want to be a half a pound - a pound heavy and just keep an eye on the dogs stress levels. But I don't recommend leaving too heavy with the chance of miscalculating and then having to burn excess weight off when you arrive. Rehydrate with pedialyte.

14. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

Speaking on dehydration.Has any used coconut water?

15. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I give my dogs coconut water pure coconut water by Vita during hot summer days and when we travel they seem to like it I drink it too it's good stuff.

16. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I've got both, some just ride better than others.... My Eli dogs and my jeep dogs seem to ride better.... They lay in one spot all the time until I stop and walk and water em..... Now I got some private stock bred down from Maximillian stuff crossed into some Bullyson about 7 years ago and kept pure Maximillian/Bullyson since then that travels like shit! Lol they are all hyperactive and tryin to escape the kennel or runnin around the car if not in kennel.....

17. Mr.Mr.203

Mr.Mr.203 AKA ladybug

Did you go to the dewy show, if so how was it

18. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

Funny i noticed,the same c-boulette 205..wth the fb dogs..mmmm

19. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

believe it or not....thos thundershirts actually work! lol