1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Loose stool on Canidae

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by GrandStanding, Jan 17, 2008.

1. About a month ago I started feeding Canidae to a dog... I gradually mixed it with the old food for a couple of days first... It ran him like a faucet!! His been on the canidae for a 3 to 4 weeks and his stool still isnt as firm as I would like and he goes three times per day...I've heard all the good things about the dog food which is fine.. I want to know has anyone had any trouble with the canidae..

I know people who live and die by the vf ( animal supply house) feed.. Any opinions, first hand or other wise on the vf..

2. thepitpalace

thepitpalace Big Dog

I have never fed that brand. That being said, it is like any food. Give it some more time, if it still doesn't firm up maybe it is not the best food for that particular dog.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  3. MTNDOG

MTNDOG Big Dog

Im not sure, but the problem may be you are feeding too much. You don't have to feed as much Canidae or any other good dog food as you would any other type. Maybe cut the food back a little and see what happens.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

My dogs pooped all day long on that stuff. And it was never really solid...kinda ranged from semi-solid to downright loose.

I know many like the food, but I personally hate it. And the loose stools and frequent stools were just part of the problem.

However, I will also advise to take a dog in for a fecal check to make sure that it's not an intestinal parasite issue.

5. Dtwo

Dtwo Big Dog

Mine did too! Subsequently, I had to keep pouring it in them just to try to maintain weight. Didn't work out for us at all.

6. Suki

Suki Guest

I use it, with no issues.
    the food is a good quality kibble. the fact that your dog's stools ARE getting better may be indicative that his system is getting used to it, and eventually he may tolerate it all together, with no problems at all. see how he does in about a week or two.
    and remember diarrhea is a symptom, only. could be other underlying issues...

7. pitbullcliff

pitbullcliff Banned

I have fed Canidae for 3-4 years now and have not seen loose or runny stools. It is common for dogs to have loose stools when being switched to Canidae from another feed because Canidae has digestive enzymes in it to help pups and senior dogs digest the food easier. And because of the digestive enzymes it can take some dogs longer to adjust to the change of feed.

8. i've used Canidae but i didnt have them results...i recently had to change food because allizey has gotten a food allergy to beef or sumthing.....she was constantly scratching herself and licking has paw severely enough to where she would leave my bed sheet soaked and she also been scratching her ear(vet said it could be a ear infection maybe)...so i switched to purina one sensitive systems and the scratching has gone away but the licking is still there an so is the ear scratching and now bleeding and smelly....took her to the vet tonite and he dont know what it could be so he took and ear culture to see what is going on in there......anyways sorry for talkin on and on...Canidae showed me excellent results and stool was never really loose after the first full week of being on it.....

9. Dtwo

Dtwo Big Dog

See that's just it Cliff - they were obviously NOT digesting it.
    It was mostly going right through them and they pooped huge!
    I tried for about 8 months and switched.

10. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I agree with you on that one....after several months if the dog doesn't agree with the food and there is no underlying issues with parasites then switch to another high quality kibble.

I personally switch my dog on every 3 months to different kibble or or the same brand but different meat sources to add variety to there diet....some say this can make you dog a picky eater but never had a problem yet.

YIS

11. rhumble

rhumble Big Dog

i guess that everydog is diferente no matter the price or quality of the food.

12. Virgil dogs

Virgil dogs Big Dog

You might want to try Dog Lovers Gold I know theres a few places in Pittsburg that sell it.I would not feed Purina after hearing about the rendering truck stopping at vet offices and taking dogs that they put down to the Purina plant.Thats some of the meat by-products they put in.